Possibly end of an era..... Kiyoshi Kato Retired

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a Kato 240 WH that I got second one here on the forum. Sold it when we bought a house (and I realized that I have way overspent on my hobbies and needed to reconsider my priorities). I do wish I have kept it. It simply felt different to other knives I had a chance to try. It never was about being 'the best' (in whatever metric one may come up with), but definitely unique and hand made all the way through and as such a piece of that "old world" that is coming to an end.
Those were the days!! :)

Do you buy art? Honest question.
FWIW, knives a fun, relatively inexpensive side hobby for me—I’ve bought considerably more art than knives.
Interestingly, a friend of mine collects guns—I told told him he’s a lunatic for it, he thinks I’m bonkers paying decent money for a utilitarian, kitchen knife, made by a craftsman, like Kato, etc.
Both Koons and Hirst have their lovers and haters, as well as moments of brilliance—both have their importance within art history, contemporary culture. That said, it can be thrilling sitting through an auction when one of their pieces comes up.
I do, but mainly stuff I like from my local art scene. Most of the work I have I've traded my ceramics for - I think the most I've ever spent was $350 for a painting. It's also the most amazing piece I've ever seen, and it has deep meaning to me. I have no interest in bananas duct taped to walls

I would shell out for a Greg Crewdson if I had the money, but that's probably the most famous contemporary artist I'd ever pay money for, even if I were incredibly wealthy

I do, but mainly stuff I like from my local art scene. Most of the work I have I've traded my ceramics for - I think the most I've ever spent was $350 for a painting. It's also the most amazing piece I've ever seen, and it has deep meaning to me. I have no interest in bananas duct taped to walls

I would shell out for a Greg Crewdson if I had the money, but that's probably the most famous contemporary artist I'd ever pay money for, even if I were incredibly wealthy
I would buy a Crewdson as well, but I would rather have a Jungjin Lee, or a Seawright.
;)

I think for people in Japan to go really crazy about him he would have needed to make woodworking tools. Those guys go hard. That being said he is recognized and some Fujiwara stuff was on display at a kiridashi exhibition at the Tanaka tool museum a while ago. Does anyone know where his swords go and how much they go for? Never seen one. His father’s kiridashi made in the late eighties to early nineties are still laying around in Japan. All in all it’s a mixed bag, I doubt the Japanese collectors will care that much.

None of us knew any different back then. I passed over on 240 Shig westerns because I thought more would be coming in quantity …. They didn’t. Ah well.
Yep. At the gathering at Maksims back in 2013 there were (I was told, I was there but other stuff where more important!!! :( ) a 300 kitaej Yanagi Shig for 500'ish $ ......... aaagggggghrlhlhhhrrrrrr...........

Yep. At the gathering at Maksims back in 2013 there were (I was told, I was there but other stuff where more important!!! :( ) a 300 kitaej Yanagi Shig for 500'ish $ ......... aaagggggghrlhlhhhrrrrrr...........
I’be been chasing around a left handed Shigefusa Yanagiba or Usuba for years now and I just have to concede it won’t happen unless I got super lucky or someone who wants to sell a well used one to someone else who will use it.

——
As for my Yoshiaki Fujiwara Gyuto I only purchased it because I knew his retirement was imminent. When it came I was not particularly impressed and at first glance I HATED the profile. Then I used it and by the third meal I prepped was in love. Easily in my top 5 gyutos.

Collector and user as well IMG_7101.jpeg

You were hunting at exactly the right moment
Nah, from what I know now, I'm a few years late to the game. I'm close to the tail end, but thankfully not at the end. I got a bunch at great prices used, and a bunch Bnib at fair market prices.

There's still a bunch of knives on my WTB list. But with the news from Maksim, I'm doubting I'll find them, or they'll be painfully expensive to procure :(

GLWB

Sure those Dragon's are nice but Kato didn't do the engraving and that to me detracts from the purity of a Kato blade, where his hand has completed every process.
Thanks for the information, I have to correct my WTB accordingly

WTB Kato dragon engraved gyuto for the decreased price of $450 due to the dragon

I got one. Paid $1400 for it, a workhorse and old stock white 1 210mm. Honestly wish I got in a couple years ago, but who knows, in 5 years maybe I'll see that I really did well at $1400. No plans to sell it anyway though. Don't need multiple but it's cool having 1, just like having my 1 shig, and 1 FM, etc. Also glad it's a wh and old stock white 1 makes it a bit spicier.

Reactions: SWF
The earliest reference to the Kato WH I could find way back in June 2012. Could it be in the 13th photo? Would loved to have attended this get together.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/sharpening-class-2012.6310/page-2#post-121794
Even then, before the profile and grind were tweaked, it was wowing users.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/sharpening-class-2012.6310/page-2#post-121794
Bought my 240 WH Gyuto on 4 December 2013. Late to the party …. 😎

Yeah, saw the newsletter. Sad to hear, but inevitable, just a part of life—an awesome maker. Kato's knife prices will spike for sure—as they should. $2.5–3k for a Kato 240 gyuto, not far away, and well deserved—hope they soar. Glad he'll be getting a rest and free time.
so to buy kato is now 2500 dollars??o_O

so to buy kato is now 2500 dollars??o_O
The going rate for a 240 Kato gyuto seems to be $1200–$1400 (solely based on some BST research).
Although, a quick cruise down BST avenue finds a 240 Kato western handle gyuto for $4800; and a 240 Kato (Morihei version) for $2550.

Personally I like seeing Kato gyuto prices soar—it's a sign that the J-knife market is healthy; more people are getting into J-knife connoisseurship; makers and vendors can potentially profit from the higher prices (and make a living from their craft).

Crazy prices and obsessive demand on the high end benefits the lower end. Heaps and heaps of great performing, affordable gyutos galore—so Katos being outta reach of the masses doesn't hurt anyone.

More interest there is in J-knives, the more choices consumers have. The comparatively high prices of Katos, and forthcoming rarity—he's apparently retiring—a bonus for those who lucked out and landed one. I'm fortunate enough to have bought one back when they were about $500—but sadly missed out on other gems like Comet.

FWIW, beautiful, distinctive, well made handmade chef’s knives are relatively inexpensive considering the work going into them—a Henry Hyde can be had for under $600, for example.

Last edited:
Back