Post your favorite thinned knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the positive side, I guess that does make it quite stiff all the way to the tip? Would make for a good slicer.

Still a great thinning candidate considering the price though. 25-30 euros for a 25 cm with a half-decent looking wood handle... anything else you get for that kind of price will be ultracheap with plastic handles. You don't even get a Victorinox fibrox for that price anymore.

Still a great thinning candidate considering the price though. 25-30 euros for a 25 cm with a half-decent looking wood handle... anything else you get for that kind of price will be ultracheap with plastic handles. You don't even get a Victorinox fibrox for that price anymore.
Nothing half-decent about the handle! It's actually very nice.

20220710_153913~2.jpg

If one can live with a vintage Sab this is a good option. Hardness is similar, and the steel is similarly finely grained, with little abrasion resistance, taking and holding a fine polished edge. In that respect very different from other budget stainless. Someone suggested it could be N680 by Böhler-Uddeholm. Keep a very fine steel or a piece of Belgian Blue nearby, and you'll be fine.

Unironically I think the cheaper Wusties might be better balanced because they're less rear heavy. Still has a similar crap profile tho. Plenty of other European alternatives exist.

I agree 100% on the cheaper ones feeling nicer. I've never liked the Ikon and similar series. Pure marketing BS in my mind.

I thinned and relieved the shoulders on a Wusthof Gourmet 8" chef's knife and it dramatically changed it and it's actually a nice performer, relatively speaking. I don't use it much anymore but it was a project that gave me the confidence to jump into Japanese knives.

This has been my experience as well

View attachment 187888

If one can live with a vintage Sab this is a good option. Hardness is similar, and the steel is similarly finely grained, with little abrasion resistance, taking and holding a fine polished edge. In that respect very different from other budget stainless. Someone suggested it could be N680 by Böhler-Uddeholm. Keep a very fine steel or a piece of Belgian Blue nearby, and you'll be fine.
How's the profile / tip height? More German or more French?

View attachment 187888

Actually I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has one of these. I've sharpened it a couple of times and used it briefly. I like it a lot and the steel seemed easy to work with even compared to carbon. It took a nice edge off a chosera 800. Next time I sharpen it I'll take a closer look and maybe thin it a little for him.

Actually I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has one of these. I've sharpened it a couple of times and used it briefly. I like it a lot and the steel seemed easy to work with even compared to carbon. It took a nice edge off a chosera 800. Next time I sharpen it I'll take a closer look and maybe thin it a little for him.
The same day I did about the same work on the Arcos with a Chosera 400 and a Böker C75 chef's with a SG220. The Arcos was much easier.
By the way: no reason to stop at Chosera 800 with it. My deburring of the factory edge was with a Chosera 2k (JIS3k), and I can maintain a much thinner edge with Belgian Blue. No reason to avoid high grits like with German soft stainless.

Last edited:
A few mentions of Victorinox in this thread. Before I learned to sharpen, I’d buy a new Vic every year or two after they got so dull that they couldn’t even cut butter anymore, no matter how much I steeled them. Staring at a drawer of six dull Vics is what pushed me into this wonderful world of knives and sharpening. Four of them landed (freshly sharpened) with friends and family. Two I kept. One I kept stock, and the other I used as my first thinning/refinishing project.

Here they are. Both are great, but you can guess which one has the distinct performance advantage. The thinned one gets a lot more use and is actually 1.5mm shorter than the stock one.

8E70FE48-DDEA-45B7-996C-FB571CBB6FDD.jpeg
A85F53CC-5C40-45C9-8ABA-0453A73E297F.jpeg
5B1F4696-2337-4ED5-AE19-AB23CC633B51.jpeg

View attachment 187888

i once severed a fingertip (my own) with one of those …

Back