pruning shears?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched a bit here but couldn't find anything related.

One of my other obsessive hobbies is collecting plants - mostly epiphytes like orchids and anthurium. I also have a few ferns and ficus trees, mostly for decoration.

I'm looking for small (one-handed) pruning shears. Something like the pics below would be great. I'm not a fan of those curvy pruning shears. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5707.jpeg
    IMG_5707.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 0
Your photo isn't super helpful but ARS makes several lightweight shears. Okatsune is another brand worth looking at. The Okatsune 201 is widely used in Japanese gardening and some bonsai applications.

mine are garden (literally) variety Corona hand shears. super great.

my friend uses Felco, which seem like better quality to begin with, but mine have been great.

For actual bypass pruners Felco is the de facto industry standard and the easiest to get parts for. The blades, IME, have the softest HT of the premium brands and require the most frequent sharpening. The thumb catch and the spring often start to misbehave after extensive use. I've never used the ARS shears but they have a devoted following. I'm told the blades have the hardest HT and will chip where Felcos will roll. Bahco is the third option. Blade hardness/edge retention is said to be in between Felco and ARS and I have found that they stay sharp longer than Felcos. These are the most customizable and have the most "ergo" handle shape (good if used right side up but awkward if used inverted). Don't buy the versions with the roller handles from either Felco or Bahco, I've never encountered anyone who bought them and didn't regret the purchase. Coronas are a notch below these in quality but passable. Fiskars are strictly for light home use. All the PRC made pruners I've handled are junk.

I like fiskars, but only do delicate/green branches. Would agree on the home use comment above, would call them pruning scissors more than shears! They are on the lighter side, plastic handles, and the blade will separate from the handle if you try to cut something too thick. Tomato plants yes, pruning woody stems in bushes no.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Non-...ocphy=9015632&hvtargid=pla-310575306439&psc=1

Back