que about mixing Flour, water and salt...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I have been making flat bread quite often. it's fast, and oddly fun. satisfying to produce a quick bread for a meal.

I use Self Rising flour, water and some salt. J Olivers basic flat bread. this weekend I added about 3 teaspoons of EVOO. the result was kinda shocking. the bread was softer, and it was easier to roll out flat. it was a better flat bread to roll up, since it didnt crack easily.

what is the science behind adding the oil? anyone know? the bread was definitely richer in mouth feel. it tasted more substantial. less cracker like. the version without oil toasted up in my toaster better, tho.

I don't know about the science behind it, but adding fat to bread dough makes for a very soft crumb. Think brioshe (dough with butter). I think I shared the King Arthur Flour flat bread recipe with you in another thread. It encorporates vegatable oil and it makes a really pliable bread.

Oil keeps it moister, hence why it doesn't crack or break as easily (since you probably don't knead it long enough for massive gluten development).
Adding oil to bread also has the advantage that your bread dries out slower over time.

I think Adam Ragusea did a video on it at some point... IIRC the disadvantage is that you have slightly less rise.

I wouldn't necessarily expect oil and butter to lead to the same results; the fat composition is different (way more saturated fat in butter) and butterfat tends to solidify at room temperature.

I don't know about the science behind it, but adding fat to bread dough makes for a very soft crumb. Think brioshe (dough with butter). I think I shared the King Arthur Flour flat bread recipe with you in another thread. It encorporates vegatable oil and it makes a really pliable bread.
indeed. I used the info you gave me as the motivation to experiment. thanks.

I have been making flat bread quite often. it's fast, and oddly fun. satisfying to produce a quick bread for a meal.

I use Self Rising flour, water and some salt. J Olivers basic flat bread. this weekend I added about 3 teaspoons of EVOO. the result was kinda shocking. the bread was softer, and it was easier to roll out flat. it was a better flat bread to roll up, since it didnt crack easily.

what is the science behind adding the oil? anyone know? the bread was definitely richer in mouth feel. it tasted more substantial. less cracker like. the version without oil toasted up in my toaster better, tho.

Fat inhibits gluten formation shortening the length of proteins. This is where "shortening" gets it's name. Depending on how you manipulate the fat and protein you get drastically different results. Think pie crust vs brioche vs baguette.

Back