Question on steel for steak knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few things.

I have a Spyderco Military and a Para 2. The Military is the bigger one, with a 93mm cutting edge. While 93mm is pretty darn small for a kitchen knife (I prefer 270 in the kitchen), 93mm of cutting edge is quite functional for a steak knife.

Regarding wooden plates, I don't own any, but my parents back in the 70s and 80s often served steak to dinner guests on "steak boards", which were little plate-sized cutting boards with a groove for collecting juices the whole way around. I rarely see those in homes anymore, but I just might try to get some.

That will be in conjunction with getting some top quality steak knives. I don't own any high-end ones right now, but I was considering ordering some custom ones from Tony LaSeur. They would get used at my house...steak 2-3 dinners per week, along with pork loin/ chops at least 1-2 dinners per week.

Like others, I think stainless would be the way to go for these! And a straight edge...no serrations. More knives to put on the stones!

Cheers,
Blair

The best way to cut a steak is with your sharp teeth and sharp nails.

None of you would have problems with steak knives if you would stop contributing to endless murder and slaughter.

@Chef Doom even we vegetarians and vegans should get tired of the "murder" comparison eventually - "murder" is understood as "unjustifiable homicide" by most, and such a statement kind of implies the reverse - "unjustifiable homicide isn't much worse than having a steak". Can that notion ever be beneficial in any real-life society? Guess no.

Could mirror polishing and applying an even patina not actually get you a "bronze-like" rather than "dirty" look?

A few things.

I have a Spyderco Military and a Para 2. The Military is the bigger one, with a 93mm cutting edge. While 93mm is pretty darn small for a kitchen knife (I prefer 270 in the kitchen), 93mm of cutting edge is quite functional for a steak knife.

Regarding wooden plates, I don't own any, but my parents back in the 70s and 80s often served steak to dinner guests on "steak boards", which were little plate-sized cutting boards with a groove for collecting juices the whole way around. I rarely see those in homes anymore, but I just might try to get some.

That will be in conjunction with getting some top quality steak knives. I don't own any high-end ones right now, but I was considering ordering some custom ones from Tony LaSeur. They would get used at my house...steak 2-3 dinners per week, along with pork loin/ chops at least 1-2 dinners per week.

Like others, I think stainless would be the way to go for these! And a straight edge...no serrations. More knives to put on the stones!

Cheers,
Blair

I considered good steak knives but did not want to pay the high prices. Then I considered the cheaper versions and found them not to be so cheap.Then I got the idea of turning a butter knife into a steak knife.I took it to the grinder,changed the profile and then sharpened it on my DMT's and then fine tuned it on my water stones up to 2000 grit and I now had the perfect steak knife for home. The wife liked it so well,I made her one too.No serrations but I do not like serrations either and I can now take them to a water stone if need be.

There's a Chefsteps video about turning second-hand dinner knives into steak knives. Quite an interesting idea, though I can imagine edge retention won't be all that.

Another option I've still got floating around the back of my mind is to just buy a bunch of cheap petties. Arguably still cheaper than a lot of steak knives out on the market, but I don't know how well it would work on the plate given the lack of belly?

Geshin Kagero 135mm petty. Jon freaked when I told him it's intended use, but I haven't had any problem with chipping.

Realize this is an older thread, but I've started looking for steak knives after getting complaints on the truly dull silver service used for Christmas dinner to cut roast beast.

I'd also prefer something more substantial. These Opinel knives seem a bit more substantial than the 125 steak knives (look similar to the folder). Does anyone have experience?
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....64....0.QABYbfk_Plo#spd=10208034116131756553

I also like the Forge de Laguiole, and they have a very nice substantial feel. Wonder if they're overkill for use on ceramic plates?

EKA_TABLESET_FORK_KNIFE.jpg

Experience shows good steak knives don't look like 19th century french pocket knives
(but YMMV)

Those Lionsteel knives look pretty interesting! Thanks! Think I’ll give reshaping the ones I have a shot as I have 12 and can afford to waste 6 if they don’t turn out (but they should).

I have the eka knives, loves how they look, but keeping the serrations sharp is a pain for me. I still use them sometimes but I also picked up some cheap straight edge steak knives a few months back.

Back