Question to Sushi Chefs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most places are serving mediocre Shari and letting the Nori sit too long before serving. I don't have a strong preference as long as the rolls aren't monstrously overloaded abominations. I'll go for whichever has well-seasoned rice and crisp Nori.

Crisp nori on rolls? Is that even possible? If you want crispy nori, go for handrolls.

I currently working at my four years at sushi high-end name of the sushi restaurant Nobu. I had two days a week to be ichiban at the sushi bar, the rest 3 days rotation with co-worker station. Here my set up for those days
Ichiban. Deba 180mm white# 2 Konosuke, Yanagi 300mm blue #1 and Nenohi 300mm sujihiki stainless
Yanagi for sashimi and nigiri, hosomaki, some roll except tempura roll. Sujhiki for tempura roll.
3 days rotation just add the masamoto gyuto mv 300mm for prep vegetable and cutting tempura roll, mostly hosomaki and some softroll I used yanagi for the job.
Rotation depends on the sharp my knives I also had sakimaru takohiki 275mm ginsanko 3 for back up and 1 extra sujihiki 270mm konosuke white # 2 just in case need to use for that day.

I do like those, yes. I'm fine with a lot of the inside-out rolls, too, such as California roll. What I'm not so keen on is some of the overloaded creations, such as these:
View attachment 52068
View attachment 52069
To me, that's too much.
I like both, just see them as very different. One is a style of food who's entire beauty is in its elegant simplicity. The other is straight up junk food. Both have their place in my life

This is a fun look at Japanese trying American sushi rolls:

"It's not sushi to Japanese people"

Yes, it's possible. Work fast and toast the Nori. But most places can't or won't do it, so I'm predisposed to other types of sushi.
Just stick to sashimi with a side of nori sheets. Rice is useless filler for poor people.

With what you pay them, they should not complain at all:p
You would think. One chick had the nerve to complain that I paid her in $100 dollar bills. How is it my fault your favorite corner store doesn't break large bills. Try shopping at better neighborhoods. [emoji36]

Back