Recommend a beginner stone.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to stay under 75, but I'm okay with pushing it a little.

The JNS stone is available from JNS. The JKI (Gesshin) stone is available from JKI. The Cerax you can dig up a piece of sidewalk and call it your own - clean side up...

Lol. Yeah. I'm debating the Gesshin 400. What is the difference with 400S?

the 400s cuts a bit faster and feels coarser, but dishes a very tiny bit more quickly... the 400 feels smoother and creamier, and is a bit more muddy. The 400s is about to run out and will not be brought back in... too many coarse stones right now. Its a good stone, but wont be able to produce it moving forward.

the 400s cuts a bit faster and feels coarser, but dishes a very tiny bit more quickly... the 400 feels smoother and creamier, and is a bit more muddy. The 400s is about to run out and will not be brought back in... too many coarse stones right now. Its a good stone, but wont be able to produce it moving forward.

Nooooooo

Trying to stay under 75, but I'm okay with pushing it a little.

Gesshin 400 from JKI. Cuts very fast, doesn't dish as slow as a Beston 500 but does cut faster than one. Has amazing feedback. You can always feel the bevel on the stone. Gets muddy and leaves a nice scratch pattern. It's good for setting up blade roads on single bevel knives as well. Just get it.

Gesshin 400 from JKI. Cuts very fast doesn't dish as slow as a Beston 500 but does cut faster than one. Has amazing feedback. You can always feel the bevel on the stone. Gets muddy and leaves a nice scratch pattern. It's good for setting up blade roads on single bevel knives as well. Just get it.

Okay cool. I'll have to wait til Jon gets some flattening plates back in order to meet that 100 dollar minimum :)

I think shapton glass stone could be a option. I like them because they do not need a soak.

I have both the Gesshin 400 and 2000. Can't recommend them enough. I'm planning on getting the 4000 also, that might be a nice addition now that it's 25% off.
I can't see the 25% off (at JKI), where should I look?

Ordered the 400, but realized I had just needed to improve my angle through Jon's assistance of course.

Hi,

I'm looking for some new whetstones for all kind of sharpening. I have now only naniwa 3000/10.000 for honing. Obviously I need some coarser stones too. My naniwa stone is "super stone" series, so now I was thinking to get something from "sharpening stone" series. I like naniwa stone, but it is there anything very similar with naniwa? I could even try different manufacturer depending on price. Any suggestions what kind of stones I need? I was thinking to get 400 for really dull blades and maybe in future also for small chips repairing. Maybe 1000 could be good for just for regular sharpening? I could buy even naniwa combination stone 800/5000, but not sure it is good idea since I already have 3000 naniwa. Please any suggestion what I could get with my 3000/10.000 stone.

Have you considered Atoma diamond plates? The 600 and 1200 grit plates are what I use and they're faster than any waterstone I've ever used. They will also outlast a waterstone by years. I finish on a Shapton Glass 3000 stone.

Are there different types (not grit) of King stones or is it just mostly size? Reading like a KDS one or something.

Is there something like a next step up for a med and fine grit that holds TREMENDOUS value as a stone/stones over the King?

What's your price limit per stone?

Roughly $25-30 each. But what else am I looking to get? Looking at the CKTG 140 grit flattening stone for $30. Possibly some money into a holder and a container for a pond/work area, and something to strop with (wine cork).

I'm not sure of what's a next step over a larger King 1000/6000 ($35) plus holder ($30).

OR... a better summary is any of the most recommended stones are good (Bester, King, Shapton, Suehiro (all lines), etc...) and can't go wrong with any of them. And they're all priced well for their respective value.

Just remember when learning that a lower grit <1000 stone can do a lot of damage very quickly compared to a finer grit stone. Learn the strokes and how to watch the water cut through with a high grit stone before going down the grit scale.

Back