Recommend me a gyuto (white/blue core, stainless clad)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
TL;DR - looking for a 210-240mm gyuto, must have white/blue core, must have smooth stainless steel cladding. Must have light colored wood handle, preferred to have light horn ferrule, but other types are fine.

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 - 240mm, slight preference towards 240mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Require a stainless cladding, would like little to no patina on the body of the knife. Patina on the exposed core is fine.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

300 new or used.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

All purpose, no deboning or fileting

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Replacing my 240mm Kurosaki Fujin gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch grip mainly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

I do it all

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

My current daily driver is a Kurosaki Fujin gyuto. I find this knife, and other knives with textured-finishes, irritating when cutting/rubbing against my knuckle. So I'd like the new knife to have a non-textured finish. I would also like something easier to sharpen - so white/blue steel only, no stainless core please.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Would like the blade to be as plain as possible, Kanji on it is great if it is on the right side of the blade (right side when facing the spine). Would like the handle to be any light wood (e.g. ho wood). Would really prefer the ferrule to be light horn, dark horn, or dark wood, in that order. Want the knife to look as inconspicuous as possible.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Thinner spine preferred.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Less wedging is always better, but not very important.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Not important

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Rubber board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Last edited:
If you don't want patina, you don't want carbon core as it will patina.

My first thought reading your requirements is that you want something made with ginsanko. maybe something like Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto 240mm with Ebony handle with a light handle put on it.

The knife will patina even if it's stainless clad? Would stainless clad patina less than some other non-stainless steel cladding? I'm okay with the core patina, just don't want the majority of the knife to patina (hence the stainless cladding).

Last edited:
The exposed carbon core will patina, the stainless will not.

Here is an example of a forced patina - you can see the dark grey near the edge
20200606_143643.jpg

Assuming you're okay with the reactive core as discussed above, Makoto Kurosaki's Ryusei series are really nice thinner stainless-clad knives--nice profile, good balance, comfortable spine and choil, and an Aogami Super core that takes a great edge.

I was thinking Tanaka B2 Nashiji but that is a slightly textured finish. Maybe Tanaka B2 Migaki? If anything, it has a thinner spime than Nashiji.

Otherwise, consider Wakui hairline (Wh2) or Yoshikane Nashiji (Wh2, Perhaps a bit over budget).

The Wakui Tsuchime is pretty smooth. As others have said, the core will patina. But because it is only the core steel, it just turns dark gray and seems to stay that way. It looks like Aframes has them in stock with ho handles and KU finish. Ai and Om has them in stock with ho handles and a smooth (migaki?) finish.

TL;DR - looking for a 210-240mm gyuto, must have white/blue core, must have smooth stainless steel cladding. Must have light colored wood handle, preferred to have light horn ferrule, but other types are fine.

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 - 240mm, slight preference towards 240mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Require a stainless cladding, would like no patina on the knife.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

300 new or used.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

All purpose, no deboning or fileting

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Replacing my 240mm Kurosaki Fujin gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch grip mainly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

I do it all

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

My current daily driver is a Kurosaki Fujin gyuto. I find this knife, and other knives with textured-finishes, irritating when cutting/rubbing against my knuckle. So I'd like the new knife to have a non-textured finish. I would also like something easier to sharpen - so white/blue steel only, no stainless core please.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Would like the blade to be as plain as possible, Kanji on it is great if it is on the right side of the blade (right side when facing the spine). Would like the handle to be any light wood (e.g. ho wood). Would really prefer the ferrule to be light horn, dark horn, or dark wood, in that order. Want the knife to look as inconspicuous as possible.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Thinner spine preferred.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Less wedging is always better, but not very important.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Not important

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Rubber board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

If you're able to stretch the budget, Watanabe's stainless clad blue is awesome, one of the best IMO. Just $140 over your stated limit—which in the long run is nothing, for a knife that'll last many years.
https://mtckitchen.com/watanabe-blue-2-stainless-clad-gyuto-240mm-9-4/
Not white or blue, but the Yoshikane SKD could fit the bill! Out of stock now, but a great steel and maker. SKD will gain a slight patina over time.
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...ikane-nashiji-skd-gyuto-210mm-chestnut-handle
If you can wait, another 'out of stock' knife that's wonderful is Gengetsu.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gengetsu-210mm-semi-stainless-wa-gyuto

Thanks all for the input - I understand the core will patina if it is not stainless steel - that is okay. I don't want the majority of the body of the blade to patina though, hence the stainless steel cladding requirement. I will check out these knives recommended.

Is this the Wakui you guys are talking about?
https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=95729

Some more options:

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...uchi-240mm-stainless-clad-blue-super-wa-gyuto
Watanabe was already mentioned, but you get essentially the same knife here (and shall we say, original). Toyama/Watanabe is great, but really out of your budget new. Trying to get used one might get you much closer to your budget.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-stainless-clad-blue-gyuto-240mm/
On top of that - NAS Takeda as very smooth on the surfacem but again, even used probably outside your budget.

Anyone know the spine thickness at base and tip of the Wakui stainless clad white core gyuto?

An Ikazuchi from JKI would be a good choice, I think. Stainless clad blue super, plain finish, ho wood handle with buffalo horn ferrule, and it's thin in line with your preferences for the spine and less wedging.

They one I played with was about a 3mm at the tang and got to .8 mm at 1 cm from the tip

Have you used a Konosuke HD2? How does it compare?
I'm hoping to get a thin/laser style gyuto, but Chefs Knives To Go video says it is thick and got some heft to it...

Anyone got experience with Hitohira Togashi White #1 Stainless Clad Gyuto?

I think you should hold out for an Anryu. Great smith, Great steel. SS clad, Great price. Both sizes within budget. It is textured with hammer, but IDT it'll be nearly as abrasive.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get a thin/laser style gyuto, but Chefs Knives To Go video says it is thick and got some heft to it...
I have briefly used a coworkers, honestly initial impression is a bit meh for me, relative to the price. If you desperately want a laser Makoto Sakura is a better choice imo.

Yoshimi keto from KNS, AS steel stainless clad, very thin, cutting carrot with no effort.

Wakui is nice but Yoshikane is better imo, the grind is wedge free in the 3 yoshi I have owned, though if you’re rocking much I would be wary of yoshi‘s profile. Wakui has a slightly better bellied tip for rocking.
Wakui is a bit more of a heavy blade so if you enjoy it more weight go for that, and the price is pretty good at K&S for both.

Yoshi are thick at the spine, but it’s so thin at the edge it cuts like a laser, just with better food release

Back