• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Red Flags on BST

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain what is going on with users who frequently post knives on BST with captions like "used once" or "BNIB" and sell for below retail?

What's going on? Are they really buying a new knife every week, then selling it without using it, or using it just once for "a few test cuts"? Or are they buying from sales (or used from another site) then lying about what they paid and/or the knife's history when they sell it on BST? For example you'll see users who say "BNIB" or "test cuts only" and say "Paid $300, selling for $250, shipping included", but they post knives like that once a week.

What's the deal?
I have been getting on average five new (or new to me) knives every week in the past 8 weeks. Probably sold around 30 during the same time frame. Probably not the best way to go about it, but I have not come up with a better solution that would allow me to try different knives quickly. I also averaged around 15lbs of carrots and 20lbs of potatoes a week. Some people spend $40 on a spin class 3 times a week and some people cut root veggies…

Last edited:
I have been getting on average five new (or new to me) knives every week in the past 8 weeks. Probably sold around 30 during the same time frame. Probably not the best way to go about it, but I have not come up with a better solution that would allow me to try different knives quickly. I also averaged around 15lbs of carrots and 20lbs of potatoes a week. Some people spend $40 on a spin class 3 times a week and some people cut root veggies…
THIS.

Now I knew this was a scam before I sent the first email, because another member had flagged it to me.

Aha! Reading it, I was all “How is Oli so sure so quickly that this guy’s a scammer?” Why is he immediately talking about bogus hardness scales? That said, if you told me with a straight face that there was a ?/25 standard hardness rating for certain naturals, I’d totally believe you. Hopefully I wouldn’t make up a number like 20, tho.

Aha! Reading it, I was all “How is Oli so sure so quickly that this guy’s a scammer?” Why is he immediately talking about bogus hardness scales? That said, if you told me with a straight face that there was a ?/25 standard hardness rating for certain naturals, I’d totally believe you. Hopefully I wouldn’t make up a number like 20, tho.
Someone needs to start using the 'Spinal Tap hardness scale'.

Dh_uxW1UYAAnAl-.jpg_large.jpg

edit: cba to cause drama on a Sunday!

Mmm, yes - I think I could possibly have explained it better here!

(When I originally posted that exchange on B&B it was in a thread that was warning about this specific scammer, so people already had the background).

Reactions: ian
What's the opinion on people that list sought after/popular knives. But don't add a price right away in the initial post?

Sort of knowing they will get offers before even having to post a price? (Talking knives that sometimes sell within minutes) So technically if sold in DMs the seller can put whatever price they see fit on the listing? Like their original asking, not what it sold for in DMs? As I write this it's very similar to having a listing with a asking price and then sold in DMs, but not quite.

Not saying the price changing is the main thing here. But the fact they are going to get offers before a asking price is even listed, like posting a OBO without having to. Or am I interpreting this wrong?

I also have no horse in these races as they usually are out of my price range, just a general inquiry.

What's the opinion on people that list sought after/popular knives. But don't add a price right away in the initial post?

Sort of knowing they will get offers before even having to post a price? (Talking knives that sometimes sell within minutes) So technically if sold in DMs the seller can put whatever price they see fit on the listing? Like their original asking, not what it sold for in DMs? As I write this it's very similar to having a listing with a asking price and then sold in DMs, but not quite.

Not saying the price changing is the main thing here. But the fact they are going to get offers before a asking price is even listed, like posting a OBO without having to. Or am I interpreting this wrong?

I also have no horse in these races as they usually are out of my price range, just a general inquiry.
If you're referring to me, it only took me a couple of minutes to add details and prices, had to check on a different device... Sorry for that!

Bonus line from the listing: " I’ll be listing a few more high end knives soon"
Seller is on the Mods radar. I doubt we'll be seeing anymore high end knives from this seller, at least not with 'borrowed' Ai and Om photos.
Caveat Emptor

New apparent scam is up. Here's the pic with the handwritten note. Notice anything funny about the shadow?
View attachment 311601
I still don't buy the updated reasoning. Not interested in the knife, but if I were a buyer, I'd ask for photos from other angles or unusual requests that someone with the actual knife could easily accommodate. For example, a photo from the bathroom. Hope no one is foolish and gets scammed.

edit: video seems to have cleared things up. The stock photos from vendor are what made things cloudy.

Last edited:
New apparent scam is up. Here's the pic with the handwritten note. Notice anything funny about the shadow?
View attachment 311601

Nah. The paper looks fine to me. It's folded and the back piece is torn at the end. Black shadow is consistent. Go to his listing, open the pic and blow it up. Look at the "M" in March. Looks like trying to get a pen working to me.

Nah. The paper looks fine to me. It's folded and the back piece is torn at the end. Black shadow is consistent. Go to his listing, open the pic and blow it up. Look at the "M" in March. Looks like trying to get a pen working to me.
I know that a whole lot of people are better at this sort of photo interpretation than I am, so you may be right. But how are you reconciling the very straight top of the shadow with the not-at-all-straight top edge of the paper?

While we are at it, why does the shadow of the paper appear above the paper, but the shadow of the knife handle appear below the handle?

I agree about the M, yes, it looks like a pen issue. But that seems irrelevant to the question of whether a perfectly real handwritten note was Photoshopped into a separate photo.

Back