Removing part of a bolster on old dirty carbon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been getting into old dirty carbon bought at estate sales, thrift shops and the bay both to improve my sharpening skill and because they are so much fun :), but on some of them the bolster is a real issue as they have been sharpened for many years and the edge is now often a bit above the bottom of the bolster. My question is what do I do to remove enough metal to fix this problem? Do I cut a triangular section of the bolster off with a hack saw and round the heels section I just revealed, do I use a dremel? I don't have a bench grinder (yet)...

TIA

If the steel has been hardened to any degree, a hacksaw will be slow work. A cutoff wheel on a Dremel is better, but be careful not to overheat the knife. It's also real easy to break the cutoff wheel. You're right that a bench grinder is probably quickest and easiest. Of course, if the "bump" isn't too large, the side of a coarse stone will suffice, in my experience.

Try to stay away from full heel bolstered where the heel has been deformed. Even if you grind away the bolster the heel may be too messed up.

I have done a few including a huge 14" gyuto. ground off the considerable bolster with a table belt sander 60 grit. I was dipping it into a tall bucket of water often as heat is generated.

It may take quite a bit of work to bring back these old carbons. It is kind of fun to bring back a discarded blade. Try to find the ones that have not been sharpened a lot. Also patina is OK but rust with pitting is another to stay away from.

Back