Rice cooker wisdom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen/tasted major differences in rice using various rice cookers the folks I know am using OTHER than the rice I had when visiting Japan.
The difference between the very cheap rice cookers and more expensive ones IMO is not worth it, the ratio water: rice is IMO most important. I'm using a cheap one, the coating is coming off and we need a new one but we rarely eat rice anymore in an attempt to avoid most high glycemic index carbs (sticky rice is OK but I never remember to start cooking it early enough).

We rarely eat rice anymore in an attempt to avoid most high glycemic index carbs (sticky rice is OK but I never remember to start cooking it early enough).
The main reason I cook basmati is the lower GI compared to other types of rice (in the low 60s as opposed to the high 90s for most rice varieties IIRC).

I personally eat it very sparingly but family members eat a lot more.

I live in Thailand. We eat rice almost every day. I have a fancy Pana10 cup. It works perfectly for Japanese short grain, jasmine and my wife even uses it for riceberry. Perfect every time. Is it better than the cheap one we had before? Maybe a little. It looks nicer and is built better. H had it about a year now. No problems. I would recommend it if price is not a big consideration and you cook a lot of rice.

Zojirushi is great. High end Tigers are practically indistinguishable from a function and output standpoint so I encourage getting that if that’s what you want

I wanted to know same thing after using glass top rice cookers that after a while don't work anymore. Same as this thread Zojirushi got most votes so I bought one. Didn't get the
Induction model though. First thing noticed was how long it took to cook brown rice.

Had it over 4 years still cooks rice perfect. Have done different types according to water amounts they have on the pot. Even Saffron rice with chicken stock comes out good.

I know we'll how long different types finish & time my cooking around that.

If you want faster cooking pay extra for the induction model. Might add wash my rice before cooking till water is clear that's 4 to 5 rinse depending on rice. Old habit from sushi rice making at work.

I would strongly recommend the induction models. Mine has been running for 11 years and doesn’t miss a beat.
I actually want to upgrade to a high pressure ceramic Tiger but can’t justify tossing a perfectly good machine.
The settings on the modern induction models deal a lot with short grain rice, also Thai jasmine, and some of the brown/multigrain mixes.
There are even baking settings these days which I still find weird.

Actually since this is a global forum - anyone knows much about the Japan Domestic Models from Zojirushi and Tiger that have clay fired cookers?
Think those are their highest end ones, but I don't see them in the other asian cities being sold.

Actually since this is a global forum - anyone knows much about the Japan Domestic Models from Zojirushi and Tiger that have clay fired cookers?
Think those are their highest end ones, but I don't see them in the other asian cities being sold.
I have one, and got it locally in Canada. I swear a Tatung makes good rice, though they look like they are from the 80s

link?

i was surprised to see that the domestic zojirushis are pretty different, but i didn't find a ceramic model.

the top of the line appears to be some gimmicky thing with multi-element induction to simulate flames randomly licking around the pot. like a cauldron over a camp fire. "flame dance" cooker they call it. it costs almost a grand. i'm serious.

1641673732669.png

https://www.zojirushi.co.jp/syohin/ricecooker/sp_contents/enbudaki/toyokeizai
https://www.zojirushi.co.jp/syohin/ricecooker/sp_contents/nwlb/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Zojirushi-NW-LA10-BZ-Pressure-Induction-Cooking/dp/B089M6ZHQH

I’ve owned a couple of cheap models, but upgraded to a Yoji (NS-TSQ10) a few years back and have never regretted the purchase - it‘s a forgiving fuzzy-logic machine that makes consistently good rice, albeit I generally use Basmati the vast majority of the time. Probably our most used small kitchen appliance outside of the kettle and toaster combo.

Rice isn’t a particularly tough dish to get right, but as a vaguely obsessive type with a gas hob I often found myself spending a disproportionate amount of time fussing over the ’perfect‘ pan selection and minimal/diffused gas power to achieve likeable results. All bearable really, but the fire and forget nature of the Yoji does make life easier, freeing up the hob space and making a one wok stir fry even more effortless to accommodate on a busy night. I don’t get some of the resistance to rice cookers tbh - it’s basically a kettle for rice. Actually, add in the ’keep warm’ function and it’s basically the rice on-demand equivalent of one of those poncey boiling water taps

FWIW I‘ve found the Yoji can actually be a little fussy with some brands of Basmati, making them a little soggier than I‘d ideally like. Slightly frustratingly (or perhaps indicatively) it tends to struggle with the same varieties I have more of problem with cooking consistently via more trad methods too.

I’ve owned a couple of cheap models, but upgraded to a Yoji (NS-TSQ10) a few years back and have never regretted the purchase - it‘s a forgiving fuzzy-logic machine that makes consistently good rice, albeit I generally use Basmati the vast majority of the time. Probably our most used small kitchen appliance outside of the kettle and toaster combo.

Rice isn’t a particularly tough dish to get right, but as a vaguely obsessive type with a gas hob I often found myself spending a disproportionate amount of time fussing over the ’perfect‘ pan selection and minimal/diffused gas power to achieve likeable results. All bearable really, but the fire and forget nature of the Yoji does make life easier, freeing up the hob space and making a one wok stir fry even more effortless to accommodate on a busy night. I don’t get some of the resistance to rice cookers tbh - it’s basically a kettle for rice. Actually, add in the ’keep warm’ function and it’s basically the rice on-demand equivalent of one of those poncey boiling water taps

FWIW I‘ve found the Yoji can actually be a little fussy with some brands of Basmati, making them a little soggier than I‘d ideally like. Slightly frustratingly (or perhaps indicatively) it tends to struggle with the same varieties I have more of problem with cooking consistently via more trad methods too.
I've never seen Yoji in Australia but I'll have a look for them.

What is a toaster-kettle combo? I would imagine that it would be hard to engineer a toaster to also boil water. Or ar you talking about set containing a toaster and a kettle?

In my reading, I have noted that some of the Persian techniques for basmati involve steaming. Makes me wonder whether the Tatung might not be a bad idea, as I understand that it cooks by steaming.

link?

i was surprised to see that the domestic zojirushis are pretty different, but i didn't find a ceramic model.

the top of the line appears to be some gimmicky thing with multi-element induction to simulate flames randomly licking around the pot. like a cauldron over a camp fire. "flame dance" cooker they call it. it costs almost a grand. i'm serious.

View attachment 159509

https://www.zojirushi.co.jp/syohin/ricecooker/sp_contents/enbudaki/toyokeizai
https://www.zojirushi.co.jp/syohin/ricecooker/sp_contents/nwlb/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Zojirushi-NW-LA10-BZ-Pressure-Induction-Cooking/dp/B089M6ZHQH

I bought it from a asian store. I don't think they have a website.

I know this is a global forum but it matters little whether your appliance is the GOAT of rice cookers if there's no support, as the these recent anecdotes reflect. Rice cookers have several moving parts including rubber gaskets. Personally, I rather not care and buy a [decent] throwaway than complicate stuff for a diminishing return that I don't really need. I suppose I really like kitchen knives cos I made this hobby an exception, however I really can't see myself as a rice cooker "fan".

Ended up buying a Cuckoo fuzzy unit. Partly on the baais that there is an Au distibutor who were pretty responsive to my email queries.

I've only used it twice. So far it does an OK job on basmati. First time was spot on. Second time a touch overdone but still better than my old cheapo Breville unit. I might need to finesse the water ratio a little. Might also experiment with salt and oil after reading up on how it is often made in south Asia.

It's also pretty fast. Under 30 mins for the full cycle (not the turbo cycle).

I got a Zojirushi that was, supposedly, the best available outside of Japan. It does a pressure cooker phase.

Two areas of clear superiority to everything else I've had: making brown rice that actually seemed edible to me, and holding cooked rice for 6-8 hours without getting that old-rice flavor.

Zojirushi seems to be difficult to find in Australia. You can get them from Japan on Amazon, they won't have an Australian plug but will work with Australian voltage. Tiger on the other hand is readily available here, but not cheap.

I was recently the high bidder ($30) for days on an unused Zojirushi. Outbid in the last 3 seconds 😤

if I were to buy a new rice cooker, I would look for a straight stainless steel bowl. my mom has an Elephant, (could be Buffalo) rice cooker that is so robust. the cooking bowl is scratch proof. all the brands are pretty good these days.

but beware. some stores around here will not warranty the rice cooker. (ranch 99, I'm looking at you!)

I have a Zorijushi NS-TSQ10. I got it three years ago. It is my first rice cooker. It has quickly become my most prized appliance. Even though it was expensive (£220), if it ever broke, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Not once has it ever produced anything other than perfect rice. It’s an absolute dream to use. Every time I hear the electronic jingle when it starts or finishes cooking, I feel this warm glow inside. Lol. It gets an 11 out of 10 from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob
As an Asian living in Australia used many expensive rice cookers I can assure you that super expensive rice cookers won't do much better than any $100 Japanese brand rice cooker. It all comes down to the quality of rice, rinse the rice properly and add right amount of water. Just get a Panasonic rice cooker like this and pick the right rice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-235055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309-235055_Chrome.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 24
I have never seen/tasted major differences in rice using various rice cookers the folks I know am using OTHER than the rice I had when visiting Japan.
The difference between the very cheap rice cookers and more expensive ones IMO is not worth it, the ratio water: rice is IMO most important. I'm using a cheap one, the coating is coming off and we need a new one but we rarely eat rice anymore in an attempt to avoid most high glycemic index carbs (sticky rice is OK but I never remember to start cooking it early enough).

I have acquired about 6 different “high end” rice makers i.e. Zojirushi, Sanyo, Panasonic, Tiger, etc.

Just for fun I did a side by side to see which to make my primary rice maker.

The test: Jasmine Rice & bottled water.

Rice from the same bag and the ratios of rice to water in each machine were identical.

2 cups of rice to 2 cups of water

The results were indistinguishable.

Q: Why do many rice cookers supply a “cup” measure that is 2/3 cups and he water marks in the machines are actual 8 oz cups? (for white rice)??

I have a high-end rice maker, one of those ones with a pressure cooking cycle. I have not done a side by side, but three things it definitely does better than my previous low-end one:

Hold the rice for a long time without it getting that "rice held for a long time" aroma and taste.

Run a quick cycle without burning the bottom

Brown rice -- this was almost a night and day difference. I'd previously considered brown rice to be bland and boring. It was a real wake-up call how good it was out of this maker. Nutty and just chewy enough, very tasty and compelling.

As an Asian living in Australia used many expensive rice cookers I can assure you that super expensive rice cookers won't do much better than any $100 Japanese brand rice cooker. It all comes down to the quality of rice, rinse the rice properly and add right amount of water. Just get a Panasonic rice cooker like this and pick the right rice.
Out of interest, what is good quality rice and where do you buy it?
Also how do you know the correct amount of water to rice ratio, the ratio on the rice packet instructions are almost always different to the rice cooker instruction.
Regards Rob.

Also how do you know the correct amount of water to rice ratio, the ratio on the rice packet instructions are almost always different to the rice cooker instruction.
Regards Rob.
Rice quality is a slippery slope. For white, I stop at kokuho rose. For brown, I usually spend a little more per lb because I eat more of it. Right now, I use mogami partially milled brown but it depends on what I can find. I think both of these are california short grain. I played briefly with japanese brands for white rice. You can taste the difference but it wasn't big enough for me to pay the extra cost.

For rice/water ratio, I highly recommend experimenting. I've found the amount of water I add depends on the brand of rice. Even brown rices of similar price and similar ages can have different textures with the same amount of water. My rice cooker has a bunch of lines that signify the water level for different dishes. I found one set that matches the wetness I like. I recommend soaking the rice for 10-30 minutes after you wash.

Reactions: rob
Regards Rob.
Hi Rob,

I like short/medium grain rice from Taiwan, Japan and Australia. These days I found more and more short grain/Japanese rice from South East Asia and they dont taste as good. For long grain/Jasmine rice, you cannot beat product from Thailand. What I always do when cooking an unknown Brand is to rinse it until water is clear and use the default water ratio from the rice cooker (don't listen to what the rice package says) and then adjust the water to your liking. Please soak the rice for at least 30mins to 2hrs. Once it is cooked gently loosen the rice and close the lid and wait for 10mins. Some prefers softer and moisture and some likes a bit chewy and dry.

if you're looking for specific recommendations, the question is useless as-posed because you didn't indicate your location.

if you're in the USA, i can recommend tamaki gold if you're looking for a koshihikari (short grain japonica type). i haven't personally found a better one here. california grown, and while not cheap, it beats out more expensive jaр imports i've had.

i eat a lot of that and jasmine rice. no specific brand for the jasmine. i just try different things that catch my eye.

i buy rice from asian grocery stores like mitsuwa and h-mart.

i also decipher the date codes and buy the freshest bags. usually if you stare at them for a while, you can figure them out. they usually incorporate a julian code and a 2 or 4 digit year code into it.

Last edited:
i eat a lot of that and jasmine rice. no specific brand for the jasmine. i just try different things that catch my eye.

i buy rice from asian grocery stores like mitsuwa and h-mart.

i also decipher the date codes and buy the freshest bags. usually if you stare at them for a while, you can figure them out. they usually incorporate a julian code and a 2 or 4 digit year code into it.
I’m in the UK. For Jasmine rice, I find the Royal Umbrella brand to be reliably tasty. I’m not sure if it’s available in the US. The crop is always dated on the package. My go-to for Japanese short-grain rice is Yume Nishiki. I’m not sure if it’s an established or well-regarded brand in Japan. Admittedly, I’m no expert, but it tastes good enough to me.

Latest posts

Back