• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Selling some of my "starter" Japanese knives (Tojiro, Yaxell)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexus1935

Reaction score
Hello KKF community!

I'm selling some knives that I bought early on when I was getting interested in Japanese knives. Nowadays I'm not reaching for these ones as often, so hopefully they can be the start of someone else's journey instead. These knives have not been sharpened and come in their original boxes.

All prices are in USD and include shipping within CONUS. If you buy more than 1 item, I'm happy to pass on the savings to you from shipping costs - just PM me.

Tojiro DP 3-piece set (210mm gyuto, 150mm petty, 90mm paring) in VG-10 steel - $110

One of the most popular line of knives to get into Japanese knives, it was mine as well. These knives are in good condition, but have some cosmetic blemishes - the gyuto has a mark on the edge steel, and the pettyhas some discoloration on the cladding - you can see both in the pictures below. Those notes aside, the knives are still excellent performers.
  • 210mm gyuto: Weight: 7.2 ounces / Blade Length: 212mm / Spine Thickness at Base: 1.9mm / Blade Height: 43.7mm
  • 150mm petty: Weight: 2.8 ounces / Blade Length: 150mm / Spine Thickness at Base: 1.8mm / Blade Height: 27.7mm
  • 90mm paring: Weight: 2.2 ounces / Blade Length: 90mm / Spine Thickness at Base: 1.8mm / Blade Height: 23.8mm
Tojiro Set 1.jpgTojiro Set 2.jpgTojiro Set 3.jpgTojiro Set 4.jpgTojiro Set 5.jpg

Yaxell Dragon Fire 215mm gyuto in BD1N steel - $80

I purchased this because I wanted to see how the BD1N steel performed against VG-10. I like the flat profile and low blade height, but overall though, I find Yaxell knives to be too handle-heavy for my liking, so I'm letting go of the 3 that I have. It also has an asymmetrical grind, which I tried to capture in the choil shot - the right side is flat, but the left side has an angle halfway up the blade. This knife is barely used:
  • Weight: 7.4 ounces / Blade Length: 215mm / Spine Thickness at Base: 2.5mm / Blade Height: 42.6mm
Yaxell Gyoto 1.jpgYaxell Gyuto 2.jpgYaxell Gyuto 3.jpgYaxell Gyuto 4.jpg

Continued in next post...

Yaxell Ran 165mm santoku in VG-10 - $80

I bought this because I wanted the 69-layer damascus pattern, which is nice and very pronounced. It was a good length for produce and well-made, but as noted above, too handle-heavy for my taste.
  • Weight: 7.3 ounces / Blade Length: 165mm / Spine Thickness at Base: 2.3mm / Blade Height: 43.5mm
Yaxell Santoku 1.jpgYaxell Santoku 2.jpgYaxell Santoku 3.jpgYaxell Santoku 4.jpg

Yaxell Ran 120mm petty in VG-10 - $60

Got this to go with my damascus santoku above, so letting it go at the same time (they made a great pairing).
  • Weight: 3.6 ounces / Blade Length: 120mm / Spine Thickness at Base: 1.7mm / Blade Height: 26.9mm
Yaxell Petty 1.jpgYaxell Petty 2.jpgYaxell Petty 3.jpgYaxell Petty 4.jpg

What great value when you think that these “starter” knives are better than the knives that reside in 99.5% of homes today. They’re pretty much the same as the knives I started out with when I moved past Wustoff’s. I gave my Tojiro’s to my housekeeper. The Yaxell equivalents went to a realtor up the street. None of these people had ever spent more than CDN $20 on a knife in their lives. Now they have genuine “heirlooms“ that come back to me to be sharpened regularly. The point here is that we all must have people in our lives that would treasure these knives. A great buy that deserves a good home.

Yaxell Dragon Fire 215mm gyuto has been sold.

Only the Yaxell Ran santoku and petty are left - will let go of the set together for $120!

Latest posts

Back