Shibata Kotestu - 210 vs 240, stock times , minor rocking

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stropping is controversial and I won't go into all of it but I strop.

That said though, I would caution you about stropping this early in your journey. Improper stropping can easily round the edge and have the opposite effect. Newspaper is fine as is cardboard and left without compound, on SG2, they should be pretty safe but that also means they aren't doing much.

I would encourage you to consider doing stropping motions on your 1k stone (wet). Very light edge trailing at the same angle that the bevel is already at. A Sharpie (red is nice) on the edge bevel can help you see what you're doing.

But, there's also the chance that given your inexperience you roll the apex this way too. So, start shallow (spine closer to the stone) and very light.

Never a bad idea to oil a handle. Mineral oil is most recommended and cheap (found in the laxative aisle).

Strop isn’t really necessary, but can be useful. I don’t usually mess with compound. Newspaper wrapped around your stone is a good way. These cheap leather strips also work pretty good

ANGERSTONE Double Side Leather Strop for Knife Sharpening - 14"x 2" Stropping Block Kit with Polishing Compound, Knife Strop with Ergonomic Handle for Honing Knives, Woodworking Chisels Amazon.com

Hi guys, I'm is this aggressive chopping ok? There was a slip in my Shibata box saying not too chop down hard and always push or pull, thanks (PS I'm nowhere near this guys speed and skill!! Like nowhere!! 😒)

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxpZM70hPbl3UOe8Kc1Hrf9ZIgqlx4cOgf?si=Ii-JGfawJT-YK8B0
I mean, I wouldn’t go slamming it down on the cutting board, but some aggressive tap tap tap tap is fine. Knives chip from lateral force. Basically twisting the knife while it is in contact with the board. This most often happens when rock chopping.

Never a bad idea to oil a handle. Mineral oil is most recommended and cheap (found in the laxative aisle).

Strop isn’t really necessary, but can be useful. I don’t usually mess with compound. Newspaper wrapped around your stone is a good way. These cheap leather strips also work pretty good

ANGERSTONE Double Side Leather Strop for Knife Sharpening - 14"x 2" Stropping Block Kit with Polishing Compound, Knife Strop with Ergonomic Handle for Honing Knives, Woodworking Chisels Amazon.com
Cheers, yeah, with a bit of research here I see that liquid paraffin is mineral oil, got some in the pharmacy,

I strop my 240 using a piece of leather on a board, but I didn't do it for a while when I first got it. I find it helps in between sharpening.

Back