Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your 240!

the anticipation is killing me:knife:

I went for the 240 gyuto Kasumi

:p i thought u had enough shigs? :p you can try reaching out to maxim to confirm :D i know the wait is painful haha

I think i scored the 240. I got an awaiting shipping email. :) :knife:

aafaa9.jpeg

arrived in the mail today :doublethumbsup:. my first shig !

Japan Woodworker has some 170mm ku santokus in stock online for anyone who may be interested.

Looks like they added a couple 210mm kitaeji gyutos too. 210 is a little smaller than I personally like, but I'm struggling not to snatch one of those up. :bigeek:

210 kitaeji gyuto errors as unavailable once added to the cart.

210 kitaeji gyuto errors as unavailable once added to the cart.

Yeah, it now says "out of stock" on the listing. When I posted that, it said "only a few left", so I guess they got sold.

Oh well, at least it saved me from going back and buying a knife that was 30mm shorter than I really wanted. :lol2:

I ended up trying again, and the order went through, but a confirmation e-mail claims it is now backordered, with a delivery date of January 1st, 2018. Has anyone else had this experience with Japan Woodworker? Is this vendor reliable in their estimated ship dates, and/or reputable in general?

Japan Woodworker was bought out by "Woodcraft" a few years ago and under that corporate umbrella they are still a reliable supplier. Japan Woodworker had a very good relationship with Shigefusa for a lot of years but, after the Woodcraft buyout it seems like the Shig. selection has been dwindling. I haven't seen anything on their web site except the KU Santoku lately. I have been buying supplies from Japan Woodworker for over 35 years.

I ended up trying again, and the order went through, but a confirmation e-mail claims it is now backordered, with a delivery date of January 1st, 2018. Has anyone else had this experience with Japan Woodworker? Is this vendor reliable in their estimated ship dates, and/or reputable in general?

It'll get pushed out and pushed out. The delivery date for the 180mm gyuto got pushed out for more than a year. It's completely disingenuous. They're only really worthwhile for items in stock and if you're based in the states as shipping is close to a $100 overseas

Japan Woodworker was bought out by "Woodcraft" a few years ago and under that corporate umbrella they are still a reliable supplier. Japan Woodworker had a very good relationship with Shigefusa for a lot of years but, after the Woodcraft buyout it seems like the Shig. selection has been dwindling. I haven't seen anything on their web site except the KU Santoku lately. I have been buying supplies from Japan Woodworker for over 35 years.

It seems they've been putting small amounts of different Shigs up lately, but only one or two types at a time. I got a kitaeji deba from them last week, and i saw they had kasumi debas listed a couple weeks before that, but it definitely seems like there's no rhyme or reason to when or what amount of product they list.

I would take the estimated delivery date more as a placeholder than anything. I purchased a Shig from them but after the date was pushed out 5 times I called and cancelled the order. I ended up getting a different one they had in stock. Be prepared to wait.

It was showing around $12xx CAD for me when I browsed the cached page. sticker shock:scared4:

Just wanted to post to say hi! Man I remember the days when I checked this thread and contributed to this thread on a regular basis - very nostalgic.

I called Japan Woodworker, and was told that they had one available, but that two orders were submitted. There is a delay between their ordering system and the website, so my order went through after the first order had already been placed (not sure on the timing, but I was second).

To make a long story short, I canceled my order, and they provided this information after they investigated the availability and upcoming order that was expected in January:
After looking into this we no longer have any of the item available.

The ones coming in January were already spoken for from my understanding and the item is no longer available now.

Just wanted to post to say hi! Man I remember the days when I checked this thread and contributed to this thread on a regular basis - very nostalgic.

Nice to have you back. How's is your collection of Shigs going? Any new additions? I have recently traveled to your neck of the woods. Nice little shop Bernal has in San Francisco.

Nice to have you back. How's is your collection of Shigs going? Any new additions? I have recently traveled to your neck of the woods. Nice little shop Bernal has in San Francisco.

I love Bernal Cutlery, awesome guys there!

Nothing new - currently looking to let everything go besides the yo's and the 240 suji =)

Wish it worked for you to be around more ;( Miss you around here man.

Wish it worked for you to be around more ;( Miss you around here man.

Appreciate that man! I think I might be around a bit more, I definitely miss it. Finally have the buying impulse under control *hahahah*

Back