Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren’t there three people making Shig.? A father & two sons, depends on which one of them made your knife, it could be different?

I do alter pretty much any knife I own.

Right? Kind of seems like the practical reality of optimising our knives towards our preferences...

...of course there are alterations and then there are alterations...

Also, unless I’m mistaken he only paid like $280 for it. And it was far removed from ootb condition and ootb geometry.
Correct I had price about it $285.
It actually had all the original geometry as aside from the work removing what was left of the KU finish after a year of hard labor.
The grind/forging on this one was actually pretty awesome as far as distal taper and the convex. 🤷. I have pictures somewhere and I did take measurements at one point I just have to see if I have the floating around to see if it's worth posting them after he's done with his work for comparative.
I'm mostly following this thread down to see where this leads.

@ma_sha1
giphy.gif

Correct I had price about it $285.
It actually had all the original geometry as aside from the work removing what was left of the KU finish after a year of hard labor.
The grind/forging on this one was actually pretty awesome as far as distal taper and the convex. 🤷. I have pictures somewhere and I did take measurements at one point I just have to see if I have the floating around to see if it's worth posting them after he's done with his work for comparative.
I'm mostly following this thread down to see where this leads.
David said this in his ad. And he also stated he wanted it to go to a good home, not just anybody. I don't think he should of expected it to be murdered. I don't think anyone ever thinks hey I should put a clause in my ad that asks them not to chop shop it into a 180 gyuto 🤣😅.

David said this in his ad. And he also stated he wanted it to go to a good home, not just anybody. I don't think he should of expected it to be murdered. I don't think anyone ever thinks hey I should put a clause in my ad that asks them not to chop shop it into a 180 gyuto 🤣😅.
Lol. The shock is gone.
Hell I even talked to a blacksmith that's not too far from here about doing a stock removal knife for the hell of it at some point.

it's like the most disappointing part of my entire life aside from being born.
😂 I relate to this SO much :oops:

I don't think anyone ever thinks hey I should put a clause in my ad that asks them not to chop shop it into a 180 gyuto 🤣😅.
Narrator: And thus, lessons were learned.

After 4 belts at 60 grit, 2 belts at 120 for Shi.han style super high shinogi grind, & 2 belts @ 240 grit to blend away the shinogi line & push convexity towards the spine, I am closing in on the edge.

Does this look thin enough for a Shig.?
No edge yet, I haven’t done sharpening.
99954CB0-3644-4031-89C0-A2BB00611664.jpeg

I felt that for a Shig, I don’t want to grind it into a laser. I could do some final thinning on stones later.

right-now, I have some tough decisions to make. The left side, I ground into a spine to edge full convex, like Kato grind. But on the right side, I couldn’t do it because I can’t grind away the Shig. Family Kanji, so it’s not possible to be full Convex. I did blending of Shinogi as much as allowed by the Kanji using 240 grit.

any suggestions on how best to finish this?

left:
CCA28783-9693-47DB-B7A2-28724FC83C5D.jpeg

Right:
55DA19E5-0BC8-4F87-A52A-48E4B8581974.jpeg

Last edited:
More seriously, I guess you have two options, right? Make the front half of the blade full convex and just leave it thicker near the handle, or give it more of a wide bevel geometry. Either seems fine. The latter will be easier to polish, probably.

Back