Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@valdim is right. A reputable source told me a knifemaker can actually sue you if you change the knife at all while still trying to pass it off as an original. That’s why I always remove the kanji before I sharpen my knives. Better safe than sued. 🤷

Edit: I know not everyone has time to be as careful as I am. I’ll help lawsuit-proof the passaround knives coming my way too, as a thank you to the owners for letting me try them out.

@valdim is right. A reputable source told me a knifemaker can actually sue you if you change the knife at all while still trying to pass it off as an original.

I have this suspicion that you converted the Catchie Forgie you sold me from a gyuto to a santoku...there is something not right with the profile.
I'm going to ask my counsel, @valdim, if I can sue you...

A reputable source told me a knifemaker can actually sue you if you change the knife at all while still trying to pass it off as an original.
But that's not the same thing that we're talking about here.

That’s why I always remove the kanji before I sharpen my knives. Better safe than sued.
I think we can all agree with this advice, though. Even if you're not a European knife lawyer.

I have this suspicion that you converted the Catchie Forgie you sold me from a gyuto to a santoku...there is something not right with the profile.
I'm going to ask my counsel, @valdim, if I can sue you...

Ha, santoku? That tip is so high it just ate an entire family-sized pack of doritos. ;)

Kinda miss that knife sometimes.

This is a great thread before the legal stuff. If people are interested in learning about some of the legal issues they are the first sale doctrine (sometimes referred to as the exhaustion doctrine), and the material difference exception. And it likely varies some from country to country.

@valdim is right. A reputable source told me a knifemaker can actually sue you if you change the knife at all while still trying to pass it off as an original. That’s why I always remove the kanji before I sharpen my knives. Better safe than sued. 🤷

Edit: I know not everyone has time to be as careful as I am. I’ll help lawsuit-proof the passaround knives coming my way too, as a thank you to the owners for letting me try them out.

If you modified something like a gyuto into santoku and then Selling it as a shig santoku, perhaps there is some beef to be raised there, but never gonna be a lawsuit. But, if you did same and sold it with a simply note that this was a gyuto and now i modified into a santoku but now decided to sell it, there is simply 0 ground got any law suit.

But, if you did same and sold it with a simply note that this was a gyuto and now i modified into a santoku but now decided to sell it, there is simply 0 ground got any law suit.
Ahhh, but are you an expert on Bulgarian used/modified knife-sale laws? Hmmm?

The first two picks of the new finish looked pretty cool imo, but that third pic... yikes, ugly.

Last edited:
If the maker sues for every major modification of the knives profile, there would be a lot of suits for all the profiles that had been significsntly modified due to broken tips and major chips. Obviously that is not the case.

[/QUOTE]
Dude you can not be serious. Are your really removing all the kanji, before you sharpen your knives. After you sharpen a knife do you run and hide it under the couch or your bed in hopes the knife Police will not find any evidence?? This is honestly way more disturbing than what ma sha is doing. It a f******* knife man. It was created with the purpose and intent to be sharpened. Stop being a freak and ruining the kanji on your knives, eventhough they are your knives. I see you post alot and you are often kind of funny and have great things to say, but this is really disturbing... What Ma Sha is doing is way beyond that he is making a new knife out of a nakiri that he basically scrapped. Of course, it's not a shig anymore. Hopefully, ma sha believes that to, although I'm not sure I've heard him say that. A shigefusa is a brand with that brand the knive is made and ground a certain way that's a major part of the knive, beyond the steal. The grind does look nice on Ma sha's, but it's in no way a shig anymore. It shouldn't even be debated, which I'm not sure that it even is debated.
[/QUOTE]
68138992-1-350x197.jpg

If the maker sues for every major modification of the knives profile, there would be a lot of suits for all the profiles that had been significsntly modified due to broken tips and major chips. Obviously that is not the case.
But what about in Bulgaria, hmmm?

I certainly read it as a joke, especially taking into account the source, as you say ;)
I'll be honest he had me fooled. I was like W**!!! My bad @ian. You said it so smoothly and convincingly. There are some real sick people out there. It seemed like there were some serious claims going on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ian
I've never bought any knives from Bulgaria so I don't care. But if Bulgarian knives are a major portion of your collection, then you could always hire a Bulgarian lawyer to make sure your proposed modifications are viable.

Is Finnish law like Bulgarian law? THat's the real question.
European Court of Justice takes precedence here. Both being part of EU

If they have laws about acceptable banana shape I'm sure knives will be covered

Back