Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I demand more knife photos!

Happy to oblige, & bring the thread back all the way from North Pole is the return of Shig’s fake distal taper:

B28CE4E1-D41A-434B-9717-619EFF468005.jpeg

Last edited:
And it's back.

I don't have any interest in Shigs, nor Shig threads, so this one went on a bit without adult supervision.

I thought long and hard about each possibly offensive post. Then flipped a coin. If your post was deleted, OK. If someone's post was not deleted, OK.

TL/DR Ma bought a Shig. Ma "chopped" the Shig. Some, who have no tangible interest in Ma's affairs, didn't "like" it. Yawn.

This knife deserves a pink Hello Shiggy handle. Epic handle for an Epic knife.

oh my god what did i just read through

when i joined two days back people told me of the dislike of nakiris on the forum
the first day i saw a "what is the point of a nakiri" thread
the second day I see there are people straight murdering shigefusa nakiris

all that's left to add is a mercer handle

oh my god what did i just read through

when i joined two days back people told me of the dislike of nakiris on the forum
the first day i saw a "what is the point of a nakiri" thread
the second day I see there are people straight murdering shigefusa nakiris

all that's left to add is a mercer handle

Welcome!!!
Not gonna lie... this is a good one.

Many thanks to Dave for cleaning up the thread, & bring back the contents, now I can finish it up.

I’ve tried a few different finishes, & some etching as well, but wasn’t happy with most of the outcome. Finally, I settled on a finish that I like, similar to my fav. knife Shi.han 52100, it has a rougher top followed by high grind vertical hairlines. I tried to match Shi.han‘s hairline, the 1000 grit vertical hairline looks pretty close IMHO.

However, the vertical hairline is just for looks, Very shallow, a few passes on the belt. The shinogi line is not real, there’s no real angle transition at the fake shinogi line.

I think I should be starting to work on the handle now, what do you think?

39829D91-8E67-4C93-9D74-3AB4AAD04F2D.jpeg
072B8789-9586-42A8-8C5E-B3A4A223F039.jpeg
66E8C8F7-DA6C-457C-92B6-AD75FF552B3E.png

Last edited:
@ma_sha1 while I would have wished for an actual shinogi line (however small) that transition looks suuper frigin sick. What are you thinking of for the handle?

+1 Vote for a bright red 3D printed tapered octagonal design with matching saya

Back