Shigefusa/Kato/Watanabe -- Why all the fuss?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this Toyama love convinced me to order a 270 gyuto from JNS...and also Badgertooth's video of his monster 270 destroying scallions...looked so fun!!!

Cheers,
Blair

I don't want to overhype it as that will invariably lead to disappointment but it's a knife that always impresses me when i come back to it and I always come back to it. It's a lot of knife, it makes my 270 Kato feel effete and ladylike.

I don't want to overhype it as that will invariably lead to disappointment but it's a knife that always impresses me when i come back to it and I always come back to it. It's a lot of knife, it makes my 270 Kato feel effete and ladylike.

Good point about overhype - this happened with me and Shigs. When I got it I was a bit dissapointed as I was expecting even more: both in terms of finishing and cutting. I could accept the finishing after some time as really being top, but cutting was never good...

I agree on the Toyama 270 Gyuto, although I don't have a 270 Kato to compare. :( The 180 Deba is my favorite Toyama. Fit and finish is perfection, and the edge is razor sharp.

Well, the Toyama 270 and 240 gyuto are both showing as out of stock at JNS right now. Being the 30th of August, I'm wondering if this is related to the warning about a 10%+ price increase after this month (ie. maybe the sale listings are being revised instead of both being out of stock)?

Cheers,
Blair

Well, the Toyama 270 and 240 gyuto are both showing as out of stock at JNS right now. Being the 30th of August, I'm wondering if this is related to the warning about a 10%+ price increase after this month (ie. maybe the sale listings are being revised instead of both being out of stock)?

Cheers,
Blair

Maksim doesn't play games like that.

It's more likely that the announcement of the price increase caused anyone on the fence about buying one to place an order.

No. When maxim restocked the 270mm a few days ago there were only 3 or 4 restocked. I thought about grabbing one, but the 10% price increase really isn't that big of a deal and he's always having store sales anyway.

On an unrelated note, i jumped directly into Toyama as a replacement for my first proper knife (an SS Sugimoto) after reading all the reviews on KKF. So i have a feeling i have nowhere left to go but down.

+1. (Again, not to overhype, but...) Every knife I got after my Toyamas (with the exception of Kato) made me wonder why didn't I just get another Toyama instead..

I wonder if we are approaching a "Toyama alert" scenario after Maksim's email about price increase and more limited production...

+1. (Again, not to overhype, but...) Every knife I got after my Toyamas (with the exception of Kato) made me wonder why didn't I just get another Toyama instead..

I wonder if we are approaching a "Toyama alert" scenario after Maksim's email about price increase and more limited production...

Nah. I'll just back to watanabe again.

Maksim doesn't play games like that.

It's more likely that the announcement of the price increase caused anyone on the fence about buying one to place an order.

I certainly was not implying anything untoward. He warned of a price increase after the month, and there is only one day left in the month...I imagine he is working on revised online listings/pricing for Toyamas already...normal business.

But I agree it is more likely that his heads-up about the impending price increase caused those on the fence to jump in (frankly it did push me to order when I did) and led to certain knives selling out. This makes sense especially with LOL's info that he only had a handful of 270s in stock.

Cheers,
Blair

Toyama 270 just arrived for me at my office - what a lovely beast! Measures at 275mm long heel-to-tip and 58mm at the heel. Substantial heft, but I'll have to get home to the scale. Seems razor sharp OOTB, but only tested on paper...will need to get it home to let it loose on food.

Should comment on the crazy fast delivery time from JNS...only 2.5 days from order placement to delivery of the knife to me in Canada!!! Fantastic.

Cheers,
Blair

Toyama 270 just arrived for me at my office - what a lovely beast! Measures at 275mm long heel-to-tip and 58mm at the heel. Substantial heft, but I'll have to get home to the scale. Seems razor sharp OOTB, but only tested on paper...will need to get it home to let it loose on food.

Should comment on the crazy fast delivery time from JNS...only 2.5 days from order placement to delivery of the knife to me in Canada!!! Fantastic.

Cheers,
Blair

Now go decapitate some unicorns with that beast! Good lord, that is a big knife. I would think about getting one in 180...:rofl2: Seriously though, enjoy your new knife.

Now go decapitate some unicorns with that beast! Good lord, that is a big knife. I would think about getting one in 180...:rofl2: Seriously though, enjoy your new knife.

LOL - indeed...the kind of knife that makes you look for huge things to cut!!! I guess gyuto translates to "cow sword"...this could be one!

Cheers,
Blair

I wish people would stop translating gyuto as "cow sword".

I don't speak the language - it seems very few on this Board do. I was quoting Knifewear. I thought they might be reliable on this point.

https://knifewear.com/collections/gyuto

It would be helpful if you tell us what the problem is with that translation and what you say is a better translation.

Cheers,
Blair

This from zknives.com...is this right, or also wrong?

"Exact origins and design purposes are unclear, but some believe Gyuto originally was designed for cutting large slices of beef. Several sources translate Gyuto as Cow Sword, which is incorrect. To isn't sword in Japanese. So, more accurate translation would be Cow Blade."

Cheers,
Blair

Some sites translate it to bovine knife

I don't understand the need to translate at all. I am multi lingual and I realize that sometimes things just don't translate well, which is why we have interpreters. We all understand that a gyuto, for all intent purposes, is a multi purpose knife similar to a European chefs knife.

This from zknives.com...is this right, or also wrong?

"Exact origins and design purposes are unclear, but some believe Gyuto originally was designed for cutting large slices of beef. Several sources translate Gyuto as Cow Sword, which is incorrect. To isn't sword in Japanese. So, more accurate translation would be Cow Blade."

Cheers,
Blair
Most sources that communities like this rely on have their problems but zknives seems correct in this case. 刀 covers a pretty big range of bladed implements (particularly those with a single edge) which includes swords, knives, razors, etc.

However there are plenty of words and idioms where the character is used more clearly to mean sword. I suppose that is where the confusion comes in, combined with the fact that most other kitchen knife designs don't use 刀 in their names.

Most sources that communities like this rely on have their problems but zknives seems correct in this case. 刀 covers a pretty big range of bladed implements (particularly those with a single edge) which includes swords, knives, razors, etc.

However there are plenty of words and idioms where the character is used more clearly to mean sword. I suppose that is where the confusion comes in, combined with the fact that most other kitchen knife designs don't use 刀 in their names.

Thanks for this - I appreciate the explanation!

Cheers,
Blair

Back