Shiro Kamo Black damascus Food release problem

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
Just wondering those who's has experience with Shiro Kamo black damascus knife, how is the food release ?

I tried to cut potato, ginger & onion today, stick like heel, unlike my Y.Kato Nashiji gyuto, or my Takamura R2 Migaki.
I guess because of the flat profile? Any idea?
When I using pulling method, the knife slice thought veggies like butter, but not so good when using push cut.

I have not used that knife but do have a different one in "black damascus" and it stuck like hell on anything wet (horizontal onion cut, etc.).

I polished it and it is fine now. Based on that example I'll never again buy something with that matte finish.

I gave mine a few swipes of 1000 grit micro mesh / sandpaper, literally less than a dozen light swipes. With damascus in general a bit of polishing is helpful as you get some micro-pitting from the etch causing drag.

Don’t get too enthusiastic and turn it mirrored or you’ll end up back with the same problem. Mine’s now a bit of a satin finish vs pure matte although not really a noticeable change unless you were specifically comparing a before/after.

I seems to had better luck with their Suminagashi line, those supposedly are not acid dipped like the higher end Kurokumo line but everything else is the same.

Just wondering those who's has experience with Shiro Kamo black damascus knife, how is the food release ?

I tried to cut potato, ginger & onion today, stick like heel, unlike my Y.Kato Nashiji gyuto, or my Takamura R2 Migaki.
When I using pulling method, the knife slice thought veggies like butter, but not so good when using push cut.
Try some 0000 steel wool all over.

I gonna try sandpaper, let’s see how thing come out😊😊😊

I seems to had better luck with their Suminagashi line, those supposedly are not acid dipped like the higher end Kurokumo line but everything else is the same.
My one is Kukokumo, I guess the acid etch cause the problem.

I ran mine over a leather strop a few times and it improved. It will get better with each use.

I have a KU Kamo nakiri that also is terrible with food release. Would the above mention solutions (sandpaper, steel wool, mesh) work on this or do you think it would mess up the KU finish? Love the knife other than that food release issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by food release? I have owned 3 of these knives and they all had good release. My issue with them was that they felt sticky going through product. For example if I was cutting onion I felt like the damascus slowed my cut down but the food released off of the knife fine due to the convexity of the grind. I just want to make sure we are having the same issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by food release? I have owned 3 of these knives and they all had good release. My issue with them was that they felt sticky going through product. For example if I was cutting onion I felt like the damascus slowed my cut down but the food released off of the knife fine due to the convexity of the grind. I just want to make sure we are having the same issue.
I have the same issue as yours, ingredients stick to the blade surface, my knife is Kurokumo black damascus. food release means when cut thought the ingredients, how's the release ( sticky ) to me.

ok good to hear, in that case the above suggestions should work pretty quickly and you will love this knife. By the way for whatever reason they are one of my favorite knives to sharpen. They just quickly take on a really nice toothy edge.

ok good to hear, in that case the above suggestions should work pretty quickly and you will love this knife. By the way for whatever reason they are one of my favorite knives to sharpen. They just quickly take on a really nice toothy edge.
Yes you’re right, I sharpen my knife two days ago, they form the burr fairly quick, & really nice toothy edge.😍😍😍

Glad it is all solved, Shiro Kamo is one of my favorite R2 Gyuto, thin but not flimsy, nice distal taper, great profile overall. I actually gifted mine to my mother who also enjoys nice kitchen knives, and I am kind regret that now lol, such a nice cutter.

Congrats! I’m wondering how it looks now.
There you go😬😬😬 Actually not much different, but the food release change quite a lot, maybe can’t tell by picture, but I remove the black etch. The bottom picture is new knife, top & second is after sandpaper.
D33A83BF-6228-4C33-867B-3701E48D6CA7.jpeg
4160F358-C1F7-4D88-BDBB-81877A316217.jpeg
D037ACE1-6763-49E2-87D3-605C9A0A4036.jpeg

I have not used that knife but do have a different one in "black damascus" and it stuck like hell on anything wet (horizontal onion cut, etc.).

I polished it and it is fine now. Based on that example I'll never again buy something with that matte finish.
I have maybe the same problem with a tojiro. I explain it In this thread..
How did you polished your knife?

Last edited:
Not sure about Spain, but in the states it's sold in auto parts stores.
I think very fine sand papers are sold in auto parts stores too. But in the town where I live there are not this stores. Maybe in any hardware store.

I had that issue with the basic versions. It settled down pretty quickly with use, and regular drying with a towel. I have a black damascus, but I got it used; it was already broken in that way. I wouldn't compare it to Takeda for food release, but it's not sticky the way my others were new.

When you re using sandpaper to smoothen it out, is there a specific direction you go in?

Back