Shops in Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subag

Reaction score
I am going to Japan in November. Do u guys have any recommendations for knifes stores in Tokyo by any chance?

TFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF

only store you will need to visit for knives. Pick one out for yourself personally and be amazed! I was there yesterday :)

27D1308A-80BC-4B99-8828-4174D9EA71B9.jpeg

Did Gaku get annoyed about you for picking out stuff?
emoji23.png
Not at all. In fact they were super accommodating. That’s how I managed to snag the last 240 western Denka. Unfinished no less, so it’s guaranteed to be a perfect blade by the time I have it.

TFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF

only store you will need to visit for knives. Pick one out for yourself personally and be amazed! I was there yesterday :)

Whats TF?

I was just in Tokyo. The stores in Kappabashi/Asakusa and Tsukiji were fine for me. Tsubaya had knowledgeable English-speaking staff and a good selection. Some of the ones there you could find for cheaper online, but they still have an impressive selection. Washin-dou also has English speaking staff. They have an Instagram account and I had gone and took a photo of some I was interested in but the price tag was flipped. Messaged them and within a couple days they responded w/ the price. https://www.instagram.com/kappa_washindou/ In the end I didn't buy from them because by the time they replied I was already home, but at least they replied :) Also liked Kamata but I found their offerings comparatively expensive. And a little away from Kappabashi, near the temple, is Kaneso. They had what I found were really good prices on white and blue steel knives. They sell their own knives for the most part and sharpen as soon as you buy. They also have stainless but I don't remember the prices. Got a yanagiba there. Also picked up a nakiri at Masahisa in Tsukiji. Tsukiji these days is super touristy, unfortunately, but that also means that the knife shops have English speaking staff. I wasn't too impressed with the selection of nakiri at Aritsugu a few doors down, but they are worth a look if you're in the area. Tsukiji also has Masamoto but when I went there were tour groups passing through and could hardly get any sales person to speak to me, so I wouldn't recommend it. When I go back to Tokyo I will probably skip the Tsukiji stores or maybe go to their counterparts in Toyosu market, maybe there are less tourists there. Also the last time I went to Tokyo I picked up a nice stainless gyuto at Kiya (main store in Nihonbashi). Thought about picking up another knife in the same series while I was there.

I thought Kappabashi district was awesome. I bought several knives from Tsubaya store?

Whats TF?

I was just in Tokyo. The stores in Kappabashi/Asakusa and Tsukiji were fine for me. Tsubaya had knowledgeable English-speaking staff and a good selection. Some of the ones there you could find for cheaper online, but they still have an impressive selection. Washin-dou also has English speaking staff. They have an Instagram account and I had gone and took a photo of some I was interested in but the price tag was flipped. Messaged them and within a couple days they responded w/ the price. https://www.instagram.com/kappa_washindou/ In the end I didn't buy from them because by the time they replied I was already home, but at least they replied :) Also liked Kamata but I found their offerings comparatively expensive. And a little away from Kappabashi, near the temple, is Kaneso. They had what I found were really good prices on white and blue steel knives. They sell their own knives for the most part and sharpen as soon as you buy. They also have stainless but I don't remember the prices. Got a yanagiba there. Also picked up a nakiri at Masahisa in Tsukiji. Tsukiji these days is super touristy, unfortunately, but that also means that the knife shops have English speaking staff. I wasn't too impressed with the selection of nakiri at Aritsugu a few doors down, but they are worth a look if you're in the area. Tsukiji also has Masamoto but when I went there were tour groups passing through and could hardly get any sales person to speak to me, so I wouldn't recommend it. When I go back to Tokyo I will probably skip the Tsukiji stores or maybe go to their counterparts in Toyosu market, maybe there are less tourists there. Also the last time I went to Tokyo I picked up a nice stainless gyuto at Kiya (main store in Nihonbashi). Thought about picking up another knife in the same series while I was there.
TF is Teruyasu Fujiwara. If you’re looking for the “last knife you’ll buy” here’s the place to go to. As anyone who owns one can attest, the sharpest knives on the planet and the best heat treat.

TFTFTFTFTFTF

Last edited:
I thought Kappabashi district was awesome. I bought several knives from Tsubaya store?
IMO, There is only one reason to go to kappabashi for knives and I’ll see if I get the luck of the draw. It’s no ordinary knife btw ;)

Otherwise it’s a veritable tourist trap, especially Tsubaya.

TF is Teruyasu Fujiwara. If you’re looking for the “last knife you’ll buy” here’s the place to go to. As anyone who owns one can attest, the sharpest knives on the planet and the best heat treat.

TFTFTFTFTFTF

You sound like you work for them :p where are they located? Maybe I'll visit next time.

You sound like you work for them :p where are they located? Maybe I'll visit next time.
Lol don’t work for them, but I love their knives and I’m sure anyone who has owned a TF can vouch for that hahaha. Their knives aren’t for the faint of heart though but their QC was great from what I saw in-store. But all that matters is it cuts like nothing was ever there. Can’t say that about my other knives.
TF didn't mind scratching my name on my knife...
View attachment 63444
I pondered doing that but I wouldn’t be able to get rid of it after ;)

Lol don’t work for them, but I love their knives and I’m sure anyone who has owned a TF can vouch for that hahaha. Their knives aren’t for the faint of heart though but their QC was great from what I saw in-store. But all that matters is it cuts like nothing was ever there. Can’t say that about my other knives.

I pondered doing that but I wouldn’t be able to get rid of it after ;)

Do you have a link on Google maps? I'll bookmark it if even I just go take a look. Will probably be back in Japan next year some time.

Whats TF?

I wish all the tourist would just go to toyosu. Never been to that one but I did do those fish market stuff years ago when it was way more tourist friendly. tsukiji is so much easier to get to being next to Ginza. The best places there are actually the produce and speciality food places. Not the tourist traps like those eat in seafood shops, etc. They have some knife shops there but a lot of them still prey on tourist and sell them **** they don’t need or have no idea what they are buying.

I wish all the tourist would just go to toyosu. Never been to that one but I did do those fish market stuff years ago when it was way more tourist friendly. tsukiji is so much easier to get to being next to Ginza. The best places there are actually the produce and speciality food places. Not the tourist traps like those eat in seafood shops, etc. They have some knife shops there but a lot of them still prey on tourist and sell them **** they don’t need or have no idea what they are buying.
tsukiji was a mad house today when i was there, no room to walk at all. i left after 10 mins. i definitely agree though, its not that great for seafood, the good seafood is already packed and sent to restaurants, the stalls there get the second rate stuff to sell to tourists. I've stopped eating there after 2015. They have nice coffee places though.
I did drop by masahisa. i still think that woman is a real con artist. this time she tried to sell me a regular knife as mizu honyaki and expouse the virtues of White 1 over blue.
If you're in tsukiji, masamoto is a much better choice.

Do you have a link on Google maps? I'll bookmark it if even I just go take a look. Will probably be back in Japan next year some time.
Here you go.
https://www.teruyasu.net/company/map.html

I definitely recommend making the trip to TF, its rather scenic and relaxing and while at the shop, you really do get one to one attention from the staff so you'll never be left out. Plus you get to see more unique stuff than the ones they put online.

And of course, the biggest benefit is you get to be there to personally pick out a knife to your liking :)

tsukiji was a mad house today when i was there, no room to walk at all. i left after 10 mins. i definitely agree though, its not that great for seafood, the good seafood is already packed and sent to restaurants, the stalls there get the second rate stuff to sell to tourists. I've stopped eating there after 2015. They have nice coffee places though.
I did drop by masahisa. i still think that woman is a real con artist. this time she tried to sell me a regular knife as mizu honyaki and expouse the virtues of White 1 over blue.
If you're in tsukiji, masamoto is a much better choice.
Last time I went to Tsukiji it was way different but that was 2013. Very few tourists except those lined up for the sushi stalls. There were a hand full of other tourists walking around. The outer market definitely wasn't geared for tourists. This time the outer market is almost totally geared for tourists. I didn't have a problem with Masahisa. I wanted a Blue 2 nakiri and I liked theirs more than the others I saw, except for one which was almost double the price at another shop which was super blue. What about the other Masamoto that isn't in Tsukiji? I didn't go there. Maybe I hit the Tsukiji one at the wrong time but I couldn't get the attention of any staff because they were busy trying to sell to tour groups. So I just left. Any thoughts on the aritsugu there vs the one in Kyoto? I haven't been to the Kyoto one.

Here you go.
https://www.teruyasu.net/company/map.html

I definitely recommend making the trip to TF, its rather scenic and relaxing and while at the shop, you really do get one to one attention from the staff so you'll never be left out. Plus you get to see more unique stuff than the ones they put online.

And of course, the biggest benefit is you get to be there to personally pick out a knife to your liking :)

Thanks, bookmarked it!

Last time I went to Tsukiji it was way different but that was 2013. Very few tourists except those lined up for the sushi stalls. There were a hand full of other tourists walking around. The outer market definitely wasn't geared for tourists. This time the outer market is almost totally geared for tourists. I didn't have a problem with Masahisa. I wanted a Blue 2 nakiri and I liked theirs more than the others I saw, except for one which was almost double the price at another shop which was super blue. What about the other Masamoto that isn't in Tsukiji? I didn't go there. Maybe I hit the Tsukiji one at the wrong time but I couldn't get the attention of any staff because they were busy trying to sell to tour groups. So I just left. Any thoughts on the aritsugu there vs the one in Kyoto? I haven't been to the Kyoto one.

I wasn't blown away by Aritsugu in Kyoto. There are some sympathetic knife/hardware shops in Kyoto but overall not comparable with Tokyo.

Having said that, Kyoto is wonderful!!

Latest posts

Back