Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been waiting a long time (2+ years) for this custom and it’s finally here! Spare integral damascus 🥵 🥵 🥵

IMG_6082.jpeg

IMG_6083.jpeg
IMG_6084.jpeg

I’m kinda risk adverse lol I spent bunch time reading regulations at all the airports I was going to hit after Japan. It was super confusing…some of them say things along the lines of knives longer than 18cm are not allowed and will be confiscated. I imagine the chances they enforce that may be low, but I also imagine the luggage scanners can easily see a bunch of long knives…
For what it's worth (never been to Japan yet), i've been flying a lot between the US, Germany and Switzerland in the last few years. I carry my knives in a (well… actually 2) knife bags with a few kitchen tools, so that scanning people can assume that i'm a chef of sorts. Boxes are carried separately. No issue. With oiled blades, the only damage has been a broken saya pin.

For what it's worth (never been to Japan yet), i've been flying a lot between the US, Germany and Switzerland in the last few years. I carry my knives in a (well… actually 2) knife bags with a few kitchen tools, so that scanning people can assume that i'm a chef of sorts. Boxes are carried separately. No issue. With oiled blades, the only damage has been a broken saya pin.
Thanks man. Good idea. I’m gonna bring a knife bag next time!

Nice Hatchet what is the steel?
Just got a reply from Ide san,

"The Japanese name of the axe I sent you is Teono or Teyoki. Teyoki" is an old name, but I often use this name.
The steel is made in Warikomi in Shirogami2.

There is also a meaning to the three and four scratches carved into the axe.
When a woodcutter is working in the mountains, he stands with three towards the tree and four towards himself and prays to the mountain god before chopping it down.

The three sides are called 'Miki' and the sacred wine offered to the god is also called 'Miki', meaning an offering to receive the blessings of the mountain.
The fourth sides is called 'Yoki', meaning the four atmospheres that nurture the tree: sun, water, earth and air.
The engravings have a traditional Japanese meaning, and are made in honour of the mountain gods and for the safety of the work."

New-ish 240 mm gyuto from Simon Lönsted (lonsted_knives on IG). 1.2562 clad in wrought iron. Really thick out of the handle and aggressive taper. Subtle s-grind which aids food release and makes the knife nimble to use. Handle in masur birch and reindeer. The grind is super thin behind the egde. All in all, I love it 😉
1000003320.jpg
1000003328.jpg
1000003331.jpg
1000003332.jpg

Radovan Stofcik oroshigane gyuto, polished by Damian Kordic. Impossible to capture the banding and detail on this thing. My only complaint is the spine is a bit sharp, but I can ease that when I have to sharpen it.
Great weight, great taper, great performance so far!

Attachments

• PXL_20240212_233503508.jpg
    PXL_20240212_233503508.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240212_233509993.jpg
    PXL_20240212_233509993.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240212_233519567.jpg
    PXL_20240212_233519567.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240213_002320648.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240213_002320648.MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Radovan Stofcik oroshigane gyuto, polished by Damian Kordic. Impossible to capture the banding and detail on this thing. My only complaint is the spine is a bit sharp, but I can ease that when I have to sharpen it.
Great weight, great taper, great performance so far!
I saw a Stofcik tachi made from the same steel that looked amazing. Very talented maker

Lucid absolutely knocked this custom out of the park. Gidgee mono handle, wrought over sheffcut, 235x55.5, 4.6mm above the heel, 2.5mm mid spine, 1.2mm inch before tip, 0.75mm at one cm from tip. Suffered a maybe 1mm tip bend in transit or at customs, thinking just grind it down with a high grit stone? It's so minor I don't think it's worth bending back.

DSC09251.jpg

DSC09248.jpg

DSC09259.jpg

Back