Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the smallest knife I ever had… Moki, just slightly longer than a folded para 2, came with a display case and a mini cutting board

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

Time to give some serious kudos for my newest knife

1. @Uncle Danny Wrought Iron Workhorse Gyuto

I saw the original posting that @Uncle Danny put up of his first batch of workhorse gyuto's he did in collaboration with a local blacksmith in Denmark and was immediately intrigued as I'm a lover of workhorses but they also just...looked awesome.

I sent Daniel a message inquiring if any of them were for sale as the specs of them looked right up my alley and lucky for me, I was able to purchase one.

I've since had it for about a week and a half, just in time to do a bunch of meal prepping with my parents and family coming into town for several days. On the same day, I also got one of the new Wakui 270 workhorses from JNS and decided to do a lot of prep side by side between the two to see how they were.

Long story short, @Uncle Danny knocked it out of the park on his first at-bat.

The knife is silent in carrots in the front half and has very light cracking on the back half with no wedging. As a home cook, this isn’t anything that bothers me. Overall taper from heel to tip is done really well and bruinoise cuts for onions including horizontal cuts were not an issue for me.

Food release is pretty good and pull slices through foods (ex: diced potatoes) left everything in place for 90% of the produce I cut.

Dense foods weren’t a problem for me, Including sweet potatoes and carrots, no cracking on the sweet potatoes!

The only change / consideration that Daniel and I talked about was where the cladding met the core steel as one side its fairly close to the edge.

Did a sharpening session to see how the metal reacted and no problems there either. JNS 800, Natsuya, and then a Tajima made it fall through paper towels and toilet paper. Probably spent 5 minutes total to do this.

I already told Daniel this but it's tied for second on my best cutting workhorse knives. My favorite is Xerxes Workhorse, which is much lighter (275g vs. 340g for this knife) and probably not a fair comparison. Sitting tied in second is this knife and the new Wakui 270. This knife cuts better than a Shi.Han I have as well as a Jiro

Keep your eyes peeled gang, there's a new maker in town :cool:

(Please ignore the snoring on the video, I had my newborn swaddled to me when taking it)

1708023093146.png

1708023119284.png

1708023172816.png

1708023290323.png

I saw the original posting that @Uncle Danny put up of his first batch of workhorse gyuto's he did in collaboration with a local blacksmith in Denmark and was immediately intrigued as I'm a lover of workhorses but they also just...looked awesome.

I sent Daniel a message inquiring if any of them were for sale as the specs of them looked right up my alley and lucky for me, I was able to purchase one.

I've since had it for about a week and a half, just in time to do a bunch of meal prepping with my parents and family coming into town for several days. On the same day, I also got one of the new Wakui 270 workhorses from JNS and decided to do a lot of prep side by side between the two to see how they were.

The knife is silent in carrots in the front half and has very light cracking on the back half with no wedging. As a home cook, this isn’t anything that bothers me. Overall taper from heel to tip is done really well and bruinoise cuts for onions including horizontal cuts were not an issue for me.

Food release is pretty good and pull slices through foods (ex: diced potatoes) left everything in place for 90% of the produce I cut.

Dense foods weren’t a problem for me, Including sweet potatoes and carrots, no cracking on the sweet potatoes!

The only change / consideration that Daniel and I talked about was where the cladding met the core steel as one side its fairly close to the edge.

Did a sharpening session to see how the metal reacted and no problems there either. JNS 800, Natsuya, and then a Tajima made it fall through paper towels and toilet paper. Probably spent 5 minutes total to do this.

I already told Daniel this but it's tied for second on my best cutting workhorse knives. My favorite is Xerxes Workhorse, which is much lighter (275g vs. 340g for this knife) and probably not a fair comparison. Sitting tied in second is this knife and the new Wakui 270. This knife cuts better than a Shi.Han I have as well as a Jiro

(Please ignore the snoring on the video, I had my newborn swaddled to me when taking it)

View attachment 300725

View attachment 300726
View attachment 300727

View attachment 300729

View attachment 300730
Soooo @Uncle Danny when are you hitting me up for some UK market beta testing??

View attachment 300725

View attachment 300726
View attachment 300727

View attachment 300729

View attachment 300730
Thank you so much for the kind words Nick. And for being a top notch guy to work with and doing trades 👌

View attachment 300725

View attachment 300726
View attachment 300727

View attachment 300729

View attachment 300730
Wow I’m really having terribly thoughts right now. That is a beauty! Looks like a properly good workhorse

Lucid got on my radar after seeing several pics and positive comments here on KKF over the last several months. I finally got around to getting my own. The gyuto is 241x60. I don’t typically use bunkas, but I wasn’t able to pass up this one, it just looked too sexy. It comes in at 195x54. I haven’t used either yet (they just literally got here), but they sure do look and feel really good. Also, Travis is a joy to deal with, and I have a custom in the works with him 😀

IMG_3579.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m exceptionally curious about the knives too! Stoked to see where this goes. Looks like a great time and right up my alley in a lot of ways
Thanks a lot 🙏
It’s been a bit quiet, but we are about to pick things up again. I’ll try to post more pictures these coming weeks

Mikami double bevel yanagibi
NOS forged by Masayuki finished by his son Sadanao- the sword smith
At a Sakai 210 mm, it’s the longest Mikami I’ve seen

IMG_3693.jpeg
IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg
IMG_3697.jpeg
IMG_3698.jpeg

It’s pretty rustic and I suspect it’s been sitting in a warehouse for some time - there is some minor pitting
Michael says he found it in Chiyoda
Super happy to find this- probably the closest thing to a gyuto ima find from mikami
Thanks for looking

Lucid got on my radar after seeing several pics and positive comments here on KKF over the last several months. I finally got around to getting my own. The gyuto is 241x60. I don’t typically use bunkas, but I wasn’t able to pass up this one, it just looked too sexy. It comes in at 195x54. I haven’t used either yet (they just literally got here), but they sure do look and feel really good. Also, Travis is a joy to deal with, and I have a custom in the works with him 😀

View attachment 300767

View attachment 300768

View attachment 300769
I am not a bunka guy either, but if I didn’t already have a custom on order from Travis when he posted this I would have snapped this up. And still a bit sad I didn’t tbh! I think you will really enjoy both of these.

Looks badass! How’s that handle for comfort?
That’s a great question! When I saw the knife when it was sold originally on Lundberg‘s website I thought that I must be very uncomfortable. A friend of mine owns the bigger sibling of this knife and he said it feels like any other handle. And it really does! I really love this knife!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Uncomfortable handle but looks nice.
But of course it works out well, why else make it 😂

But congrats on what looks to be a awesome knife

Decided I needed a 360 mm gyuto in my life so I picked this Misono Swedish Carbon. Here it is with a Toyama 303 mm sujihiki, Wakui 274 mm workhorse, and Victorinox 3.25” paring knife for scale:
View attachment 300983
Genuine question... as badass as they look, what do you intend to use it for?
I've sometimes been tempted to buy one of those massively oversized knives just because of the cool factor, but I could never think of a valid excuse.

Genuine question... as badass as they look, what do you intend to use it for?
I've sometimes been tempted to buy one of those massively oversized knives just because of the cool factor, but I could never think of a valid excuse.
I don’t have a valid excuse, honestly. I just wanted a giant knife, and when I realized it’s also the year of the dragon, I found all the justification I needed:upsidedownspin:

Use it as a cow sword
Probably the only correct answer.

Back