Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got some money for my birthday, and a single Henckels Kramer 52100 showed up on Amazon for $320 shipped, NIB, so I guess that's my latest buy. Anybody want to know how it compares to Heiji and Kagekiyo?

DSC_0269_zpsb63ccc30.jpg
DSC_0270_zpsa74a5830.jpg

Shig 240 kasumi with custom handle. Picked it up from that site for pretty cheap. I was kinda worried that they had somehow managed to buy seconds or cut corners somewhere, kinda unusual to see a Shigefusa cheap, it's not like they're hard to sell.

I haven't cut anything with it yet and I haven't used a Shig gyuto before so I can't compare it to anything, but it looks solid enough. Beautiful taper, great F+F, stupid thin behind the edge nicely rounded (although I reckon the mioroshi and usuba I previous had had a better finish on the spine and choil. Perhaps it just stood out more on the heavier knives)

Surprisingly light. I just assumed shig gyutos would feel mighty, but this guy only weighs around 180g which makes it the lightest gyuto I own by a long shot.

Custom handle is nice, although maybe a touch small for my hands; personally I'd prefer the original shig handle. I assume Mark was able to keep the prices down on this first run (the 240 is now listed at $520, although sold out) by buying them without handles, sayas and boxes; mine arrived in a richmond branded box, not that it matters.

Perhaps. It does feel small for the knife and the balance is pretty far forward so it's probably safe to say the the handles aren't made specifically for the knife.

Edit: Sorry, misread the last post. I'm assuming that the custom handle is lighter than Shigefusa's stock ho wood handle.

That's a nice pick up, Josh. My kitaeji 240 with normal ho handle weighs in at 213, and kasumi 240 yo handle at 255, so yours is pretty light.

I was wondering about this Shigs he had listed. They were down right cheap on the pricing. Love to hear more about em!

Well, I got some money for my birthday, and a single Henckels Kramer 52100 showed up on Amazon for $320 shipped, NIB, so I guess that's my latest buy. Anybody want to know how it compares to Heiji and Kagekiyo?

Yes, very much so in fact

Just put it on the stones and I'll give it try out at work tomorrow and post my thoughts. Was thinking on doing some aussie pass arounds at some point so could be good to get a more experienced pair of eyes on it.

I was wondering about this Shigs he had listed. They were down right cheap on the pricing. Love to hear more about em!
I saw those earlier and looked at the custom handles and thought " ok , he is buying shigs without handles and boxes in a pile and attaches "custom" but tiny compared to regular d shaped original ho handles on it", see where this will go. I hope they will not increase their production numbers and loose their quality. I also saw the Katos he listed 240mm and only 47mm tall , somebody is going to regret it once it needs thinning and you end up with $500 gyuto-sujihiki with no knuckle clearance .

180g is pretty lite for a 240 Shig. The lightest one I've owned was 196g and I assume the stabilised handle is heavier than the Standard Ho?

The last one I had was pretty light, too, something like 190g, if I remember correctly.

Is that the one you got from Panda? I owned that knife at one point and it was 208g when I had it.

Yes, that's the one. I'm probably mixing it up with another knife, in my memory, then. The previous Shig I owned was a good bit heavier, but also had a custom handle.

Proudly sharing my new Ealy
DSC03342_DxO.jpg

Gave it a fresh edge, cannot wait to give it a spin

(and sweated a bit while giving it a fresh edge ;) )

The handle looks nice with the damascus on that ealy. What wood is it

Well, the Henckels Kramer has two huge holes in the edge, so I guess a comparison will have to wait.

The one I just got has horrible f&f and is bent. The blade is bent at the bolster. It's a shame bc the first one I got was pretty good. D

Just got it for Christmas an used it the first time the other day. I hit mine from Bloomingdales on cyber Monday for $279 so it was a great deal. It also didn't have the ring to protect the tip that the first one did and the inside of the box was ripped. I'm going to try to go through Bloomingdales too maybe they will have good customer service

Konosukse 210 honyaki blue 2 steel

Won't let me load the picture, only gives me the option to "cancel"

Ealy parer, carbon damascus, pollyanna/wild almond burl:

DelParer2.jpg

Back