Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nigara Hamono Kurouchi R2 Sujihiji 255mm :) . I was really looking forward for this one.
I've added one of the gyutos to my cart at homebutcher.com at least 10 times over the weekend but haven't pulled the trigger and clicked pay now. Discount code will probably expire before I make up my mind to just buy it...

I've added one of the gyutos to my cart at homebutcher.com at least 10 times over the weekend but haven't pulled the trigger and clicked pay now. Discount code will probably expire before I make up my mind to just buy it...

They seem to run some variation of the same promotion nearly every month. I find that two to three drinks of an evening help me avail myself of such offers.

Takada no Hamono blue #1 just arrived today:

PXL_20220405_212542817.jpg

PXL_20220405_210830240.jpg

PXL_20220405_212156043.jpg

Munetoshi Butcher 170 to partner my Takada Tanaka Suji 300 for bone-in steak service.

Attachments

• 9BE84F27-7F78-4D1B-8ACD-0D0FCCCB3AD3.jpeg
    9BE84F27-7F78-4D1B-8ACD-0D0FCCCB3AD3.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 37
  • E2D80363-537F-4887-9B44-5EBD8EFC8401.jpeg
    E2D80363-537F-4887-9B44-5EBD8EFC8401.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 38
Got this Mazaki Aogami Super from K&S a while ago. Haven’t got a chance to use it but it looks nice. I hated this type of profile before but the Kamon massdrop knife changed my mind. Putting Mazaki next to Kamon, it seems like their profiles look similar but Mazaki is a little flatter in the middle nearing the heel side. Kamon’s profile feels more natural which I love in use.

Measurements:
247 mm*53.5 mm.
227 gram. Balanced at 1 cm ahead of the heel.
Spine thickness is 5.05 mm at the handle, 4.7 above the heel. 2.2 in the middle and 0.9 mm at 1 cm from the tip.

Attachments

• E71A5D87-5AB5-457D-B47A-743A3C0AA646.jpeg
    E71A5D87-5AB5-457D-B47A-743A3C0AA646.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 5978D4AD-4DE1-40CA-AF3A-22BA9270A19B.jpeg
    5978D4AD-4DE1-40CA-AF3A-22BA9270A19B.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 71
  • FB15C008-EA37-422C-9D3A-94172AC6CDAA.jpeg
    FB15C008-EA37-422C-9D3A-94172AC6CDAA.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 69
  • D1A1EDF2-3684-4517-A2C8-6CE93058FB4F.jpeg
    D1A1EDF2-3684-4517-A2C8-6CE93058FB4F.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 64
I say go get it :)

I picked up this Kono FM Blue 2 250 from that CKTG drop recently just to checkout the difference with a Tanaka AS wide bevel; that and it was only $400 shipped. The FM really does fly thru most anything but the Tanaka AS wide bevel has more character to it. Both very fun to use, FM definitely worth the money (i'm guessing I was the only one on this forum who didn't own one)

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

Here's my first-ever Japanese steel. Mr. Hattori Hanzō retired so I "settled" for a Kurosaki Bunka. I sacrificed an onion and a head of garlic trying it out and, as I hoped, I was AMAZED.

I have stones and have been sharpening my own knives for a few years. Thought I was pretty good at it...but now I know what "sharp" actually means and that I need practice (and better stones).

IMG_0369.jpg

Here's my first-ever Japanese steel. Mr. Hattori Hanzō retired so I "settled" for a Kurosaki Bunka. I sacrificed an onion and a head of garlic trying it out and, as I hoped, I was AMAZED.

I have stones and have been sharpening my own knives for a few years. Thought I was pretty good at it...but now I know what "sharp" actually means and that I need practice (and better stones).

View attachment 173840

Congrats, Yu Kurosaki makes great knives. I’m still kicking myself for selling my Fujin gyuto.

View attachment 173840
Keep in mind, a lot of that cutting feel is coming from the grind itself and isn’t necessarily a reflection of your sharpening skills. This smith makes very thin knives… for example my kippington laser falls through ingredients way better dull than half of my other knives when they’re sharp.

Don’t let me discourage you from buying more stones and sharpening more though 😅

Keep in mind, a lot of that cutting feel is coming from the grind itself and isn’t necessarily a reflection of your sharpening skills. This smith makes very thin knives… for example my kippington laser falls through ingredients way better dull than half of my other knives when they’re sharp.

Don’t let me discourage you from buying more stones and sharpening more though 😅

Yeah. My stones are Amazon el'cheapo brand. Good enough to figure out how to grip, hold a consistent angle, etc. Now that I've jumped in headfirst, I need to get better stones. I was reluctant to get them up front because, this being the first Japanese knife I've ever held, let alone owned, I wanted to the get the knife first and move on from there.

I picked up this Kono FM Blue 2 250 from that CKTG drop recently just to checkout the difference with a Tanaka AS wide bevel; that and it was only $400 shipped. The FM really does fly thru most anything but the Tanaka AS wide bevel has more character to it. Both very fun to use, FM definitely worth the money (i'm guessing I was the only one on this forum who didn't own one)

View attachment 173837
View attachment 173838
Mine delivers today!

Beautiful. Would love to see a choil shot on that bad boy.
Will do when I get home. It’s super impressive. Beautifully rounded spine and has a real weight to it.
My wife got me a Dauvua Kiri cleaver for Christmas cuz I wanted a Tinker Tank but she couldn’t find any. The Dauvua is SOOOO much lighter than the Tank. I was super disappointed but was happy with the shape and it still performed well on a lot of tasks (dicing chicken most importantly!).

I can’t wait to use this at work. I just need to find a saya

View attachment 173837
View attachment 173838
Beautiful knife, got try that Tanaka wide bevel someday… it seems some FM have Myojin stamp some does not, are they all sharpened by him?

Back