Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I'll try to find time to put a review together! All my reviews lately have been of hard to find/discontinued knives... I'm not sure how useful that is for people but they seem to get some clicks so why stop now? I would love to do a side-by-side of the Wat and another big workhorse but I don't have a suitable counterpart at the moment.
Personally the comparison between V2 Kochi and Iron Wat would be interesting enough for me. Someone did the SS Kochi vs SS Wat vs Heiji before but those are slightly different.

D27DD971-DE20-4668-9B76-7C3B027F173E.jpeg

Hi all, I found this Knife at a "Thrift Shop" for (lol) fifty cents! Vintage GERBER-DURENDAL (I believe circa 1940's). Other than needing sharpening, this Knife is in lovely condition. I believe this would be considered a "Fillet" or (perhaps) a Boning Knife ? Handle is Aluminum and blade is 6.5" long. No Brainer for fifty cents!
1652639076990.jpeg

Fuku Knives Aogami Super 180mmView attachment 133279
Hello Wos, I sure hope you had better luck with you FUKU Knife than I. My Fuku Knife (imho) should NEVER have passed inspection (let alone, sold. I was told to send said Knife back for a replacement (I should of opted for the cash refund) and my Knife (with all the issues) would be REPLACED. Long story short, nearly two months later (and NO responses) to my Emails, I received the SAME knife back that had been (more or less) buffed out. I feel as if I paid top dollar for a USED Knife. I have ALL the communications between me and the seller to back up my claims.
1652645652092.png

Last edited:
To add insult to injury (after nearly two months) when I finally received a box containing (the very SAME) Knife, this is the condition the Knife was in (prior) to my opening the box. Man! I was sooooo lucky that I did not suffer some sort of SERIOUS cut as I am on "Blood Thinners" and the situation could of gone South fast!

1652646171678.png

Here is (in part) a message I sent to (a well known Ambassador) for Fuku Knives (who was VERY helpful and did his best to help me in this situation). I wrote: "(Name redacted) in short, I feel I have been "Ripped Off" as I neither received (per Sellers own words) a NEW replacement Knife or a 50% discount (and I get to keep the Knife). Man, I SHOULD of taken option two and just had taken a full refund. I feel I now basically have an "USED" (second Hand) Knife since this is the SAME Knife which (name redacted) was SUPPOSE to replace. Man, what a bunch of B.S. coming from (name redacted) about (quote) "I will send you a return label for this knife and I'll start on your handle now for the new knife so when I receive the knife back the NEW knife will be ready to go and I'll send you pictures before the replacement knife leaves so you can make sure there is nothing wrong or if you want any changes made before hand".

I also NEVER received any updates/photos/communications whatsoever after my original contact with the owner. I only (months later) received my knife with Blade STICKING out of the box (when box was tipped to open). Geeeeezeeee. I have NOT used (nor plan to) use this knife because the entire situation from the word go has been a disaster and I feel this knife just has bad "juju". Sorry for the rant, months later I'm still upset. I really don't want to any longer have anything to do with the Seller/Dealer of this Knife.

SixCats!

How do you find the slicer? Its once of the shapes im interested in from him but am unsure of based on the price
It’s old stock maboroshi, older kanji and the best made knife out of this group. Special knife for me and i like it a lot, the grinds on this one is very consistent and well made.

With newer TF knives the grinds vary a lot so it’s hard to advise if it’s worth the money. IMO my maboroshi suji is fantastic but you can get great slicers from other makers for less money. I Got great slicers from Heiji and watanabe, also mazaki isn’t bad.

Hi all, I found this Knife at a "Thrift Shop" for (lol) fifty cents! Vintage GERBER-DURENDAL (I believe circa 1940's). Other than needing sharpening, this Knife is in lovely condition. I believe this would be considered a "Fillet" or (perhaps) a Boning Knife ? Handle is Aluminum and blade is 6.5" long. No Brainer for fifty cents! View attachment 179711
That's a steak knife, my folks still have the 8 pc set.

It’s old stock maboroshi, older kanji and the best made knife out of this group. Special knife for me and i like it a lot, the grinds on this one is very consistent and well made.

With newer TF knives the grinds vary a lot so it’s hard to advise if it’s worth the money. IMO my maboroshi suji is fantastic but you can get great slicers from other makers for less money. I Got great slicers from Heiji and watanabe, also mazaki isn’t bad.
That red handles an absolute beauty, i struggle with new tfs because of the variation, all of mine have been bought used which helpped me know what im getting into

That red handles an absolute beauty, i struggle with new tfs because of the variation, all of mine have been bought used which helpped me know what im getting into

if you buy one, im sure its gonna be very good but sometimes it will need some work. i think the suji is less common due to its price but its a very good slicer.

To add insult to injury (after nearly two months) when I finally received a box containing (the very SAME) Knife, this is the condition the Knife was in (prior) to my opening the box. Man! I was sooooo lucky that I did not suffer some sort of SERIOUS cut as I am on "Blood Thinners" and the situation could of gone South fast!

View attachment 179746
Here is (in part) a message I sent to (a well known Ambassador) for Fuku Knives (who was VERY helpful and did his best to help me in this situation). I wrote: "(Name redacted) in short, I feel I have been "Ripped Off" as I neither received (per Sellers own words) a NEW replacement Knife or a 50% discount (and I get to keep the Knife). Man, I SHOULD of taken option two and just had taken a full refund. I feel I now basically have an "USED" (second Hand) Knife since this is the SAME Knife which (name redacted) was SUPPOSE to replace. Man, what a bunch of B.S. coming from (name redacted) about (quote) "I will send you a return label for this knife and I'll start on your handle now for the new knife so when I receive the knife back the NEW knife will be ready to go and I'll send you pictures before the replacement knife leaves so you can make sure there is nothing wrong or if you want any changes made before hand".

I also NEVER received any updates/photos/communications whatsoever after my original contact with the owner. I only (months later) received my knife with Blade STICKING out of the box (when box was tipped to open). Geeeeezeeee. I have NOT used (nor plan to) use this knife because the entire situation from the word go has been a disaster and I feel this knife just has bad "juju". Sorry for the rant, months later I'm still upset. I really don't want to any longer have anything to do with the Seller/Dealer of this Knife.

SixCats!
why was the name redacted? feel free to PM especially if it is a well known guy doing this shady business.
Amazing. wish I could get 270mm Sakai length Ginsan kagekiyo.

Got lucky and manage to grab one from a forum member, the distal taper is insane. Can’t wait to use it.
Yeah the kipp is very impressive. Both hell of a cutters, the watoyama is great even without crazy distal taper, it’s extremely thin BTE.

Back