Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad light, bad camera but i want to share this anyways.

Toyama Noborikoi Kurouchi Blue Gyuto 240mm (with 240g also quite heavy)
Munetoshi Kurouchi Petty 165mm

Both need to be sharpened first. Toyama because of its fragile zero edge and the Munetoshi because it arrived a little bit dull. But no problem. These knives already feel awesome and i know they will see a lot of action in the future. So happy rn 😍

20221109_163313.jpg

Last edited:
Mini review of Hatsukokoro Shinkiro

Fit and finish:
Meh overall.
KU is super rough (like drags against my sponge) but maybe will become looser over time. Did some 3000 grit sanding which made it better but it’s still rough. Doesn’t affect cutting but makes it annoying for me to wash the way I do it (sponge wrapped over the spine). Or I could try to sand a bit more without stripping off too much KU (so far looks the same). Much rougher compared to any other Nashiji KU btw (incl Kochi, Kono Sumiiro, Mazaki, Fellipi, Raquin, etc)

Handle install is not great but I think this is a Homebutcher thing. Hopefully it’s not epoxied.

Spine and choil not rounded and not super comfortable. Not as bad as Toyamanabe KU though which is actually sharp. Didn't actually bug me in practice but a pro may want to round it. Unfortunately, you'd lose the KU though. Would’ve been cool if it were rounded under the KU like Kochi is.

Bevel finish looks awesome. One of the prettiest damascus but hard to appreciate in photos. When comparing above and below the shinogi line, it’s like a mullet (party above, business below)

Steel
I don’t want to say too much because I think I may have done a poor job sharpening but I was alarmed at how easily it deburred. I think I may need to resharpen though because I’m half sick so I think I didn’t do a great job and I may have rounded it. Also I'm testing some new stones. At the minimum, it seems decent enough but probably not as good as TF AS (didn't keep it the initial sharpness as well, but TF is exceptional in this regard, but also I think the unfamiliar stones may have played a factor as well)

Geometry and profile
Profile is Yoshikane. Geometry and taper is basically Yoshikane but with very gentle convex (so like Nihei). The tip is excellent, probably one of the best, but deeper in you can feel the spine thickness so it's not as good as something like Takada. It’s a little weightier at the spine than Yoshi SKD but cuts equally or maybe better.

Summary:
It cuts very well but the rough KU and spine/choil hold it back. Steel seems pretty good but not amazing (but grain of salt here please). A little frustrating overall to me because I think improving F&F in the area I mentioned isn't super hard. Also the sizing is weird. Wish it were taller at heel/shorter length. I got the 210 (which is 220) because the 240 is more like 250 pretty consistently it seems.

Obviously this is a steal at the price I paid (280 all inclusive).

BTW I wrote more about fit and finish because I have more to say, not because I think it’s super important.
2FC47A95-C70E-429A-A53E-B164085FED21.jpeg

Attachments

• 81D0DB8D-4123-4F97-8131-557594F82FD4.jpeg
    81D0DB8D-4123-4F97-8131-557594F82FD4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 015A05AB-367C-4F9E-9EA6-9352905345B6.jpeg
    015A05AB-367C-4F9E-9EA6-9352905345B6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 312DAB7D-FB23-4029-BE2B-E78212A79EE0.jpeg
    312DAB7D-FB23-4029-BE2B-E78212A79EE0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 4CDD31D1-954F-4B73-BE19-74DA2DB5B001.jpeg
    4CDD31D1-954F-4B73-BE19-74DA2DB5B001.jpeg
    667.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I said I was rectangle gang but here are some triangles. All blue damas.

I also got my shinkiro in, along with a couple of others. Decided to spring for the custom handle and glad I did. As long as they aren't epoxied and have gross colors, pie handles are great.

Agree with supers sentiment on everything. I do think it's a great value on sale. I honestly do think Nihei clads the Damascus himself as it doesn't look like most clad dama AS I have seen before (ie takefu AS which just look like straight lines).

The others are komorebi blue 1 damas with beautiful jnat polishes. Very impressed on the initial impressions but haven't cut anything yet.

And I threw in a picture of my new Hado blue 1 dama because it came with a bent tip. Chefs edge was taking so long to do a swap I just said screw it and fixed the bent tip myself, and asked for a partial refund which I eventually received. At the end of the day, only lost 3-4mm tip. (It's around 197mm long for a 210).

I may have overdid it on my last couple buys....expect more on the b/s/t soon lol.

20221109_171139-01.jpeg

20221109_171227-01.jpeg

I said I was rectangle gang but here are some triangles. All blue damas.

I also got my shinkiro in, along with a couple of others. Decided to spring for the custom handle and glad I did. As long as they aren't epoxied and have gross colors, pie handles are great.

Agree with supers sentiment on everything. I do think it's a great value on sale. I honestly do think Nihei clads the Damascus himself as it doesn't look like most clad dama AS I have seen before (ie takefu AS which just look like straight lines).

The others are komorebi blue 1 damas with beautiful jnat polishes. Very impressed on the initial impressions but haven't cut anything yet.

And I threw in a picture of my new Hado blue 1 dama because it came with a bent tip. Chefs edge was taking so long to do a swap I just said screw it and fixed the bent tip myself, and asked for a partial refund which I eventually received. At the end of the day, only lost 3-4mm tip. (It's around 197mm long for a 210).

I may have overdid it on my last couple buys....expect more on the b/s/t soon lol.

View attachment 207638

View attachment 207639
Ah that's the older version too with the Tsuchime. It's very Kono YS-looking.
Not sure about pre clad or not. I'm not sure if you can make the dammy patterns with the core steel already attached, but the clad line is wavy in the way I might expect if you had a pre-laminated damascus-to-AS billet. It's definitely not stock removal for sure though.

Ah that's the older version too with the Tsuchime. It's very Kono YS-looking.
Not sure about pre clad or not. I'm not sure if you can make the dammy patterns with the core steel already attached, but the clad line is wavy in the way I might expect if you had a pre-laminated damascus-to-AS billet. It's definitely not stock removal for sure though.
I didn't even realize until now there was a newer and older since I thought it was a new product line! To be honest I would prefer smooth over tsuchime, but looks relatively similar besides that. Spine thickness and grind looks the same, this one feels a tad more balanced since it's more like a true 240 x 50mm instead of 250 x 50mm

I am a fan of Björn‘s work! How do you like it?
I can not say it yet. Just arrived. Did some test cuts on a carrot. Very easy cut. Reminds me of a laser. Foodrelease wasn't the best. But for the price a top processing. Nice balance. There's nothing to complain about. I'm curious how I find it when I work with it!

I can not say it yet. Just arrived. Did some test cuts on a carrot. Very easy cut. Reminds me of a laser. Foodrelease wasn't the best. But for the price a top processing. Nice balance. There's nothing to complain about. I'm curious how I find it when I work with it!
I know for me it's a knife that I just want to keep reaching for, it seems to do everything well.

It's crazy how it feels so much more substantial than a laser, but manages to cut almost like one. He really does exceptional work especially for the price point. I haven't picked up my Yoshikane or Shibata since getting a Birgersson.

It's crazy how it feels so much more substantial than a laser, but manages to cut almost like one. He really does exceptional work especially for the price point. I haven't picked up my Yoshikane or Shibata since getting a Birgersson.
It definitely doesn't feel like a laser in the hand. But the cut is definitely like a laser. Really looking forward to working with it. I would have done it today. But since I had to cut 1 kg of onions today, I took a different knife because I didn't want an ugly patina on my new knife 🤣

It definitely doesn't feel like a laser in the hand. But the cut is definitely like a laser. Really looking forward to working with it. I would have done it today. But since I had to cut 1 kg of onions today, I took a different knife because I didn't want an ugly patina on my new knife 🤣
What’s that, „ugly patina“? 😁

Back