Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy came by to pick up his work knives I sharpened for him, and he came bearing gifts...

IMG_6902.jpg

Today is a happy, happy, happy day… I finally got something that I had been looking for a looooong time. Plus the extras were both an intended bonus, and a happy surprise, will most definitely be buying from Firma Moes again, an absolute blast and a pleasure to do business with them. 🥰

IMG_3789.jpeg

So, finally… 😍 Sakai Kikumori gyuto, blade by a certain YT, stainless clad B2 core, all in all 242 mm of 57 mm tall Nashiji-finish goodness. It made me do that audible “Ooooooooooooof…” sound (you know *that* feeling in your gut…) when I first exposed her to light. Already wicked sharp from the factory. It feels *awesome* in hand and cuts super well.

Geometry wise the grinds and that tapering are amazing, nice for a really acute point and more robust heel (with those tall flat bevels wedging is not much of an issue). Just an awesome knife, yay!

And yes, certain special bits from that amazing card were omitted but it was well and truly appreciated. ;) Thanks! 🥰

IMG_3790.jpeg

Some additional bits and extras, can’t wait to put those to use. I also bought a second hand 150 mm deba (W#2 core) from elsewhere, but unfortunately it missed this weekend due to a shipping error. Was planning on putting these and that deba to good use with whole salmon, whitefish and zander for sushi, sashimi, and Vietnamese spring rolls. Oh well, will just have to make due without it… I mean, with what do I fillet my fish now? 😂

Core family shot…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

YT 185 mm nakiri (iron clad W#2), SK/YT gyuto mentioned above, and a 270 mm gyuto by Wakui (stainless clad W#2).

I also have other Japanese knives (including that one mikagi-finish, and now way more lasery, gyuto by Hatsukokoro that is currently being corrected/primadonna’ed by me) but this trio takes the cake, I don’t see myself swapping these out anytime soon.

#KnivesForLife

Today is a happy, happy, happy day… I finally got something that I had been looking for a looooong time. Plus the extras were both an intended bonus, and a happy surprise, will most definitely be buying from Firma Moes again, an absolute blast and a pleasure to do business with them. 🥰

View attachment 251723
So, finally… 😍 Sakai Kikumori gyuto, blade by a certain YT, stainless clad B2 core, all in all 242 mm of 57 mm tall Nashiji-finish goodness. It made me do that audible “Ooooooooooooof…” sound (you know *that* feeling in your gut…) when I first exposed her to light. Already wicked sharp from the factory. It feels *awesome* in hand and cuts super well.

Geometry wise the grinds and that tapering are amazing, nice for a really acute point and more robust heel (with those tall flat bevels wedging is not much of an issue). Just an awesome knife, yay!

And yes, certain special bits from that amazing card were omitted but it was well and truly appreciated. ;) Thanks! 🥰

View attachment 251724
Some additional bits and extras, can’t wait to put those to use. I also bought a second hand 150 mm deba (W#2 core) from elsewhere, but unfortunately it missed this weekend due to a shipping error. Was planning on putting these and that deba to good use with whole salmon, whitefish and zander for sushi, sashimi, and Vietnamese spring rolls. Oh well, will just have to make due without it… I mean, with what do I fillet my fish now? 😂

Core family shot…

View attachment 251725
YT 185 mm nakiri (iron clad W#2), SK/YT gyuto mentioned above, and a 270 mm gyuto by Wakui (stainless clad W#2).

I also have other Japanese knives (including that one mikagi-finish, and now way more lasery, gyuto by Hatsukokoro that is currently being corrected/primadonna’ed by me) but this trio takes the cake, I don’t see myself swapping these out anytime soon.

#KnivesForLife
I dont believe that nashiji line is forged by Y Tanaka. Is that what the vendor told you?

I dont believe that nashiji line is forged by Y Tanaka. Is that what the vendor told you?
It is what I garnered from "the internet". Now, to be very precise, the vendor I bought this from did not tell me that nor did they advertise it as such, but I did seek them out especially because they carried this series of knives in the EU (it is also available for sale from Carbon Knife Co., Bernal Cutlery and Chef's Edge in the US/CND but the import fees to the EU make the price quite eye-bleeding).

Now that you mentioned it, I actually remember one thread on this site where a certain someone was diehard about Y. Tanaka not being the smith behind these knives... Hmmm... waiting for proof one way or the other...

It is what I garnered from "the internet". Now, to be very precise, the vendor I bought this from did not tell me that nor did they advertise it as such, but I did seek them out especially because they carried this series of knives in the EU (it is also available for sale from Carbon Knife Co., Bernal Cutlery and Chef's Edge in the US/CND but the import fees to the EU make the price quite eye-bleeding).

Now that you mentioned it, I actually remember one thread on this site where a certain someone was diehard about Y. Tanaka not being the smith behind these knives... Hmmm... waiting for proof one way or the other...
Sakai kikumori has many different lines made by various smiths. To me, this one in particular has strong resemblance to the matsubara knives made by katsuto Tanaka (probably no relation).

That being said, I think the extra tall heels and thin grinds on this line are really nice. Ive had like 5 or 6 different matsubara and still own 3 of em. Nice pick up, I hope you love it!

Thanks! Hmmm, Matsubara knives, at least the one I tried while looking for an extra tall 240 mm gyuto was an entirely different beast. Compared to this it was much more front/blade heavy, etc. and also felt different in hand otherwise too. They do look really similar profile-wise but otherwise, nope.

So after about a year of trying I was able to get a new Yanick for myself. This one is really interesting, it's like a massive honesuki lol. Yanick heard people liked heel height so he said hold my beer. Super excited to check it out. I think it's ground just a bit thinner than my other 240. The specs from Carbon were also wrong when they said this would be lighter than the normal height 240 they also dropped, but to be expected. It's actually lighter than my other one, but I think that's because of a thick gidgee handle.

yanick4.jpg

yanick5.jpg

yanick6.jpg

yanick7.jpg

Spotted the Gude "The Knife" on Perigold over 3 years ago, unavailable. Thought I was going to be notified when it was back in stock. Never was. Contacted Gude directly. Liked the bolster design. Center of mass of the hand is over the heel of the blade. Price had gone up (seriously?). Grenadilla handle. The model with the damascus blade is impressive! Regular solingen steel also available with a jade handle. Will not fit into the 35 knife block out there. Don't drop this thing!

Attachments

• IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3010_crop.jpg
    IMG_3010_crop.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Sometimes there’s offers you cannot refuse…
View attachment 251827
View attachment 251828
Haven’t gotten around to test it yet but it sure looks and feels great in hand, just a bit blade heavy so I might put on a different handle at some point. Anyway, can’t wait to try it.
I know what you mean. Everything I have tried from Lee has been nothing short of excellent.

Back