Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
966599E3-174D-4A87-B15C-91C654C3EF43_zpskhugzidu.jpg

Watanabe 240mm mirror polished Honyaki Gyuto. I have a friction fit saya too.

035610EB-7556-4B69-917B-741726450E91_zps9bv86xlg.jpg

Very shiny.

4D5E76BC-B608-4E59-97C4-9FFADCD55F37_zpssx55aziv.jpg

If you view it with the correct lighting you can see the Hamon. Any ideas on how to enhance it?

That is one beautiful knife. How tall is it? I love the height and profile.

I have a very similar knife of Matt's. It's a fun little guy that cuts nicely, and just wants to work for you. Congrats!

Kurosaki duo. The western handle one is new. I've been wanting one of these for quite some time now.
It's got some good heft/weight to it, comes in at 55mm height on the heel and cuts like I've come to expect for Kurosaki San- like a freaking dream.
I was surprised the choil and spine were not eased,in fact they were a little sharp. But that was a quick fix.

Overall, very happy with it.

[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/marc4pt0/media/Kurosaki/1442861843_20150921_144742-picsay_zpsrwphw6tq.jpg.html]

1442861716_20150921_144828-picsay_zps02bvwsbx.jpg
[/URL]

Kurosaki duo. The western handle one is new. I've been wanting one of these for quite some time now.
It's got some good heft/weight to it, comes in at 55mm height on the heel and cuts like I've come to expect for Kurosaki San- like a freaking dream.
I was surprised the choil and spine were not eased,in fact they were a little sharp. But that was a quick fix.

Overall, very happy with it.

[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/marc4pt0/media/Kurosaki/1442861843_20150921_144742-picsay_zpsrwphw6tq.jpg.html]

1442861716_20150921_144828-picsay_zps02bvwsbx.jpg
[/URL]

Yu Kurosaki in 10 years time is going to be a top smith, His work is without rival in my opinion, His blades are stylish and all feel special dispute all being batch creations. I love those knives.

Went ahead and splurged a little on a new workhorse as I am moving to a new restaurant starting the first week of October. Nothing too fancy, something that will retain, retain, and retain a sharp edge. Here she is, an Ashi Hamono Shirogami #2 270mm gyuto with magnolia ho on the handle and a horn ferrule ring. Hoping to wear this handle down quickly so I can swap it out for a darker wood. But yeah, I opted for this because I always try and support my local cutlery and my local one so happened to have this beaut in stock this afternoon.

a4EiCqV.jpg

hP3JsUz.jpg

nFmLUun.jpg

Compared to the extraordinary knives on this page, this is a pretty humble one, and one most have probably seen before. It's a CCK 1303 that I bought off of the BST board here a few days ago. It may not be pretty or unique, but I'm pretty excited about it. Everybody has to start somewhere :). I'm looking forward to putting an edge on it (it arrived dull as a hoe) and putting it through it's paces.

marc - if i ever got a stainless knife, that kurosaki would be on top of the list! looks amazing. how does it cut?
the info says 52mm which is a little narrow for me, did you request a taller one be picked out?

Hope I can get my Kurosaki knives back in the nearish future. I'd like to rework the bevels a bit, since mine were mediocre cutters out of the box, but there's enough material to make them pretty good.

marc - if i ever got a stainless knife, that kurosaki would be on top of the list! looks amazing. how does it cut?
the info says 52mm which is a little narrow for me, did you request a taller one be picked out?

I usually request that. On this one I forgot. Maybe they just remembered me? But it definitely surprised me when I got it to find the knife so tall at the heel. It performs very well. Minimal stiction. What also surprised me was that the knife had some pretty sharp corners on the spine and choil. Like I said before, it was a quick fix. Edge retention so far has been solid. Not the sharpest edge OTB, but minimal effort to get it where I like. The knife definitely has a bit of heft to it, even thought it's more on the thin side.
Overall I really like it. It's fun and I do love me some fun.

Ha. So I just picked up an Ashi 270 from Bernal the other day and then last night as I'm laying in bed, I see their instagram feed pop up with a lightly used wakui 210 gyuto for $160. slept on it, woke up this morning, took a shower, and picked the bad boy up. I've been using my suisin 180 petty for a while as my service/line knife and damn, this will be a huge upgrade over that 58hrc softness. spine and choil are already perfectly ground down ready to rollllllll.

JmBzHjC.jpg

CQdXyHb.jpg

Feeling like I came out pretty good on this deal.

Somedays, I just love Canada Post. Look what they dropped off:

7iQQ6tb.jpg

anyway we could get a choil shot of that? I've been super interested in these heijis. and any idea what the sharpening feel would be like when compared to AS or shiro1?

Pretty close to white steel. Much easier to sharpen than the best heat treated AS. It is the same proprietary steel that Shigefusa uses, but heat treated differently (I think). They take a super nice edge and keep it reasonably well and are very easy to touch up.

anyway we could get a choil shot of that? I've been super interested in these heijis. and any idea what the sharpening feel would be like when compared to AS or shiro1?

Here's a choil shot, pretty much the best I can do with an iPhone. :)

fIMPGXE.png

Haven't tried to cut with it yet, busy today. Hope I'll get to play it tomorrow.

Seems very asymmetric for left hand use... should be interesting.

Couldn't resist. Didn't have much, just a piece of left over daikon, and cucumber. Cuts really well, worked better than my SIH on the daikon. Didn't steer, so I think the grind is fine. Will test more tomorrow. :)

DiZFD15.jpg

Masashi Kobo 210mm SLD
Itinomonn 240mm V2
Tadafusa 164mm Blue #2, handle by Anton

Sorry for crappy cellphone picture, best I can do with my Nexus in low light right now :/

I've been tempted a few times to grab one of those Masashi knives and give it a satin finish to better deal with scratches.

Wow that Masashi is tall! Looks to be a bit taller than the 240mm Itinomonm yet its only a 210 and those Itinomonm aren't exactly short either....

Itinomonn is exactly 50mm at the heel, Masashi is 51,5mm, so yeah, it's tall, but it's one of the reasons I decided to go for it, I have large hands :)

I plan to give it a satin finish, but I'll need to practice on some cheap stainless knives first.

So far I have mixed feeling about the Masashi, it feels awesome in the hand, quite thin behind the edge, I love how flat it is, fit and finish are top notch and it comes with friction fit saya, but I guess I was expecting a little more when it comes to cutting performance. It's wedging a little on big onions and carrots (but really, just a little), but the steel sharpens very well, and if the edge retention is as good as I think it will be, I think I'll keep it.

Did I hear someone say a lefty :whistling:

Crap...too bad. I've dealt with Heiji a few times, and it's always a simple transaction, and easy "upgrade". Pretty sure it was the same price as a righty, too. With that being said, you might not even notice, considering the type of grind on Heiji knives.

EDIT* I just saw the pic, and I think you got a lefty. Just sayin.

Back