Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200429_103238.jpg

Black palm harner paring knife.

Sold my previous one and later realized that I missed it a bit too much.

I am with Danzo. Mine is finished as well and here are the glamor shots as well...255mmx59mm with a block i sent (I think it was Buckeye burl with green epoxy?), vinyl record spacer and copper...

Attachments

• DSC_0081.jpeg
    DSC_0081.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0087.jpeg
    DSC_0087.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0090.jpeg
    DSC_0090.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0091.jpeg
    DSC_0091.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 44
Mazaki – Shirogami #2 Nakiri 7.5” / 190 mm
208 / 187 / 56 / <5 / 1.5 / +40 / 217g

https://sharpknifeshop.com - 285$ CAD

Blade length / Edge length / Height / Thickness (heel) / Thickness (tip) / Balance (Chin = 0) / Weight
In mm; all measures are first hand; balance (also in mm) is either forward the blade (+) or backward to the handle (-) where 0 was arbitrarily positioned to the chin.

The Mazaki came in the nicest box I’ve had to date - but then again was the most expensive knife I ever bought until yesterday – see here soon.
Mz_BOX.JPG

It’s a thick, obviously rather heavy and very forward balanced Nakiri. To give a weight for length comparison, about the same forward balance is to be expected on a Victorinox Rosewood 250mm Chef (195g) or on a Moritaka A2 240mm Gyuto (166g). It’s the heaviest of my J knives while being among the “shorter” ones but presents with a very nice height that it preserves pretty much to the end (still 55mm high 10mm from the tip). It feels in hand just like how it looks: a half-pound small cleaver. But then you use it…
Mz_BAL.JPG
Mz_SPINE.JPG
Mz_Choil.JPG

… and it’s like your cousin Johnny who looks like a brute but is a rather soft-spoken, highly educated humanist. Like a Sumo wrestler gone to ballet… Ok, ok… :D

For testing I had… well a bit of everything veggie to go in a chicken broth that I rather use to make a burst cherry tomato slow cooked sauce and cook pasta in. Anything left I have that’s soon going to hell can go into that broth.
IMG_4456.JPG

First what was going to go in the bottom of the stockpot to stir at medium heat a bit with a drizzle of olive oil and small chunk of butter. Carrots were ever so easy to slice in halves with a drag tip cut, or simply chop in halves. The White #2 started to react badly when in contact with garlic foremost, and I think it was the beet-carrots that started to react a bit first. Of course slicing grapes as a test the day before left some patina but didn’t react so much. By onions time it went full fledge with grayish deposits on the board, and even a red onion root that went bright green on the rim when trimmed out – but I expected that, hence why I used a cheap bamboo board for this first prep, and it didn’t taint the food so much as the moisture/juices that went on the board.
IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4459.JPG

Then heat was on and all this in, and I quickly needed at least enough of all the onions to cover it up and stir some more. It was incredible how this chunk of a blade with this about nonexistent rounded tip could drag tip cut onion halves without the root on, without sticking or messing or dragging the segments or have some of them fall sideway – slack slack slack slack slack it didn’t even looked like I had done anything yet, but on with the rough dicing.
IMG_4460.JPG

After a bit more stirring heat was turned on full fledge, carcass and water were added, and while it went to boil I had more of a quiet time with the rest of the ingredients : green onions (those would stick like crazy but there was never any danger of them topping the blade or any need to wipe them off – what had to fall away did, the rest stuck and was wiped easily only in the end), a bit of celery leaves (that I normally keep whole, but just for testing went to roughly mince and see if it would bruise or smear – nope!), the rest of the onions (would have cut a thousand more of them like that, just amazing tip slice and dicing work) and a bit of yellow bell pepper left.
IMG_4461.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG

The broccoli was eventually cut and used with a bit of the broth to make a cream broccoli. That went awesome too, while leaving no more broccoli crumbs behind than any other of my knives.

What comes out as “negatives” is this : the rather thick grind wedges a bit when halving onions, and cutting a pepper slice off the core isn’t exactly challenging, but isn’t exactly comfortable neither. The grind isn’t a problem that cannot be solved, not even much of a problem at all as is, and well, not everything that’s more or less a “paring” job will feel as nimble as with a Gyuto or a Santoku. But big and thick and heavy as it is, this Nakiri is a nimble giant.

What comes out as positives: pretty much everything else, except perhaps the cheap looking “buffalo horn” (still thinking it might be plastic) ferrule, and the more or less consistent kurouchi on one side. Those are no big of a point enough to be negatives, or to take much away of the F&F score.

Pros: the knife as a whole, and sharp enough OOTB so you can test, enjoy, and start to feel for yourself the thinning/sharpening job ahead

Meh: unconsistent kurouchi on one side – so beautiful on the other side that it pains me a bit

Cons: nothing worth of note - but if the obvious is a con, then not an all-around knife, and White #2 is very reactive.

Bottom line: waouw!

Performance (OOTB): 4.5/5
Experience: 4.5/5
F&F: 4/5
Value: 4/5
(you’ll hardly find a Nakiri that length, any good option whatsoever pretty much has a 200$ CAD tag, and for the price it is truly an awesome piece)

Overall: 8.5/10

Here's a semi custom Shihan in 52100 that came in the mail today. It's 225 x 52 and 198gm, sporting a honey mesquite handle.

Also pictured is my new 210 Y. Tanaka from the JNS sale. (what a cutter!!)

Guess which choil shot matches which knife...
View attachment 78649View attachment 78650View attachment 78653View attachment 78654View attachment 78655
Both are great looking knives. Those white 1 from Y Tanaka are very tempting. I’d love to try the yanagiba especially..... and that Shihan really is a beauty. Love the sizing on it too.

Mazaki – Shirogami #2 Nakiri 7.5” / 190 mm
208 / 187 / 56 / <5 / 1.5 / +40 / 217g

https://sharpknifeshop.com - 285$ CAD

Blade length / Edge length / Height / Thickness (heel) / Thickness (tip) / Balance (Chin = 0) / Weight
In mm; all measures are first hand; balance (also in mm) is either forward the blade (+) or backward to the handle (-) where 0 was arbitrarily positioned to the chin.

The Mazaki came in the nicest box I’ve had to date - but then again was the most expensive knife I ever bought until yesterday – see here soon.
View attachment 78829

It’s a thick, obviously rather heavy and very forward balanced Nakiri. To give a weight for length comparison, about the same forward balance is to be expected on a Victorinox Rosewood 250mm Chef (195g) or on a Moritaka A2 240mm Gyuto (166g). It’s the heaviest of my J knives while being among the “shorter” ones but presents with a very nice height that it preserves pretty much to the end (still 55mm high 10mm from the tip). It feels in hand just like how it looks: a half-pound small cleaver. But then you use it…
View attachment 78828View attachment 78831View attachment 78830

… and it’s like your cousin Johnny who looks like a brute but is a rather soft-spoken, highly educated humanist. Like a Sumo wrestler gone to ballet… Ok, ok… :D

For testing I had… well a bit of everything veggie to go in a chicken broth that I rather use to make a burst cherry tomato slow cooked sauce and cook pasta in. Anything left I have that’s soon going to hell can go into that broth.
View attachment 78822

First what was going to go in the bottom of the stockpot to stir at medium heat a bit with a drizzle of olive oil and small chunk of butter. Carrots were ever so easy to slice in halves with a drag tip cut, or simply chop in halves. The White #2 started to react badly when in contact with garlic foremost, and I think it was the beet-carrots that started to react a bit first. Of course slicing grapes as a test the day before left some patina but didn’t react so much. By onions time it went full fledge with grayish deposits on the board, and even a red onion root that went bright green on the rim when trimmed out – but I expected that, hence why I used a cheap bamboo board for this first prep, and it didn’t taint the food so much as the moisture/juices that went on the board.
View attachment 78823View attachment 78824

Then heat was on and all this in, and I quickly needed at least enough of all the onions to cover it up and stir some more. It was incredible how this chunk of a blade with this about nonexistent rounded tip could drag tip cut onion halves without the root on, without sticking or messing or dragging the segments or have some of them fall sideway – slack slack slack slack slack it didn’t even looked like I had done anything yet, but on with the rough dicing.
View attachment 78825

After a bit more stirring heat was turned on full fledge, carcass and water were added, and while it went to boil I had more of a quiet time with the rest of the ingredients : green onions (those would stick like crazy but there was never any danger of them topping the blade or any need to wipe them off – what had to fall away did, the rest stuck and was wiped easily only in the end), a bit of celery leaves (that I normally keep whole, but just for testing went to roughly mince and see if it would bruise or smear – nope!), the rest of the onions (would have cut a thousand more of them like that, just amazing tip slice and dicing work) and a bit of yellow bell pepper left.
View attachment 78826View attachment 78827

The broccoli was eventually cut and used with a bit of the broth to make a cream broccoli. That went awesome too, while leaving no more broccoli crumbs behind than any other of my knives.

What comes out as “negatives” is this : the rather thick grind wedges a bit when halving onions, and cutting a pepper slice off the core isn’t exactly challenging, but isn’t exactly comfortable neither. The grind isn’t a problem that cannot be solved, not even much of a problem at all as is, and well, not everything that’s more or less a “paring” job will feel as nimble as with a Gyuto or a Santoku. But big and thick and heavy as it is, this Nakiri is a nimble giant.

What comes out as positives: pretty much everything else, except perhaps the cheap looking “buffalo horn” (still thinking it might be plastic) ferrule, and the more or less consistent kurouchi on one side. Those are no big of a point enough to be negatives, or to take much away of the F&F score.

Pros: the knife as a whole, and sharp enough OOTB so you can test, enjoy, and start to feel for yourself the thinning/sharpening job ahead

Meh: unconsistent kurouchi on one side – so beautiful on the other side that it pains me a bit

Cons: nothing worth of note - but if the obvious is a con, then not an all-around knife, and White #2 is very reactive.

Bottom line: waouw!

Performance (OOTB): 4.5/5
Experience: 4.5/5
F&F: 4/5
Value: 4/5
(you’ll hardly find a Nakiri that length, any good option whatsoever pretty much has a 200$ CAD tag, and for the price it is truly an awesome piece)

Overall: 8.5/10
Yup, I just got this one as well. I am a sucker for long Nakiri. it slices through a bunch of ginger without a problem.
Gage is a very nice and helpful person because he helps me track where is my package after 3 weeks not arriving.

finally last Tuesday I receive it.

Arrived! Finally!
Mazaki “Kasumi” 270mm
(Shirogami 2, migaki polished) handle keyaki and horn.View attachment 78813View attachment 78814View attachment 78815View attachment 78816View attachment 78817View attachment 78818
Extremely sharp, i’m in love! For sure!
I have this same knife in a 240 I picked up from a local knife shop near me. What an unbelievable knife, my first in white #2 and I kept hearing that the edge retention of this steel isn't the greatest but I sure am impressed. I outlasts any of my VG-10 knifes and holds its own against AS steel. It must be the heat treatment, plus a couple swipes on a strop and I am right back to where I started. Love this thing.
I need a nakiri from Mazaki next.

I have this same knife in a 240 I picked up from a local knife shop near me. What an unbelievable knife, my first in white #2 and I kept hearing that the edge retention of this steel isn't the greatest but I sure am impressed. I outlasts any of my VG-10 knifes and holds its own against AS steel. It must be the heat treatment, plus a couple swipes on a strop and I am right back to where I started. Love this thing.
I need a nakiri from Mazaki next.

Glad to hear that!
i'm very enthusiast for this knife, because have a great pirce-quality ratio, i try in this days, for me it's important that knife is sturdy because i use many times in the kitchen certainly under a lot of stress!

Latest posts

Back