Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 270 Dalman purchased in March arrived today. 265 X 56 and 206 grams. In a pinch grip the balance point is at the end of the thumb, great feel and fit and finish. Going to have a nice workout tonight.
View attachment 79555
Nice catch :). I would have guessed it a bit heavier. What is the grind like?

Sorry to go off-topic for a second.

New knife
Z33Th1C.jpg

Can you remind me who this maker is? I'm blanking on that logo atm.

The blade spine is thinner than I envisioned - dropping to under 2 mm by the balance point and this must have kept the weight down. Don't know what is typical for his knives. To my eye the grind looks flawless and every bit as well done as the Japanese made knives in my small collection. Finished to a much higher level of polish than, say, a Tinker Tank, and a touch more than a Haruyuki Yokuma Sujihiki. The cladding does come closer to the cutting edge than anything else I own or have seen in a well stocked local shop. The blade is very thin when viewed from the choil. Going to be really careful with this at first. Hope this helps...

Thanks. That was my guess, but I didn't see that logo on the knives on his website so was confused. Love to try one at some point, but haven't yet.
What? I thought that was a joke.

What? I thought that was a joke.

One can't have tried everything. And I've never seriously considered buying one, so I haven't paid much attention to the understated logo. So with only a blade shot, I wasn't sure. 🤷‍♂️

Actually, I think it's a nice practice to include identifying info with all these BST posts. Kinda wish everyone would do that always. Basically every time I've seen a knife from a certain maker for the first time, it's been in this thread, so I've had many moments of "... hmm, what's that... ... ummm, that one looks awesome ...." etc... and only figured out later that I was seeing The Nine, or Kamon, or whatever. I think I'm guilty of posting a knife without identifying info once, but that's because I figured everyone could read the "Catcheside" written on the side.

It's funny. Early in my (actual) career, I was always afraid to ask stupid questions. But now that I've been doing math full time for like, what, 14 years(?) I've lost all of that and will just ask immediately if I don't understand something, even in a room filled with experts. Guess something similar's happening after being on KKF for a couple years. :)

I wouldn’t be able to differentiate a dalman from half a dozen other makers on looks alone.
I didn’t mean for that to sound negative-and I don’t think it is.
Off the top of my head I can’t remember his makers mark.
I just agree that there’s a lot of makers I couldn’t identify without more information.

Hi guys, new member here :D.
i just received my Shigefusa Kurouchi santoku and nakiri, Jiro 240 mm Gyuto as well as Munetoshi 240 mm Gyuto. To be honest i havent hold them yet, still with my cousin since i am not sure if the delivery will arrive to my place.

View attachment 79622View attachment 79623
Straight out the traps with some heavy hitters. Welcome to the forum.

I'm genuinely interested in what you think. It seems like a better looking competition to Shibata 180 bunka?

Congrats! That thing is gorgeous! Looks to be 55mm ish tall? Is it O1?

It’s right at 51mm and AEB-L. I have a Takeda Sasanoha that I “thought” was really sharp until I got this one. I sliced those tomatoes and was like “look Ma, no hands” lol. Never had a blade I could actually do that with. Sorry for the late reply. I can only see this on my phone right now for some reason. Thank you for the kind words. It’s really something special, fake hay and all ;)

Reactions: ian
Picked up this Yoshimi Kato Santoku the other day from HomeButcher (that guy is cool af) and I love it.....but I have a stupid question. Will the dark etched edge start to patina or wear off? It’s blue paper #2 steel but I don’t own another blade with this finish. I hope it stays just like this. I think it looks cool as he11.
PS- this one came without any hay 😕

Attachments

• 0597A96C-7C94-4E47-95E9-D8582992BC9B.jpeg
    0597A96C-7C94-4E47-95E9-D8582992BC9B.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 5A7C0290-0547-4A49-8E60-9AAF121BEBFF.jpeg
    5A7C0290-0547-4A49-8E60-9AAF121BEBFF.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 51
Raquins arrived from @nakneker! Muchas gracias!
Raquin KT 220mm gyuto
Raquin 140mm honesuki

IMG_7178.jpg

The feeling when you get all four railroads in Monopoly. Left to right:
140mm honesuki
180mm nakiri
220mm KT gyuto
250mm gyuto

Raquins (2).jpg

Left: KT choil, Right: Standard gyuto choil

IMG_7187.jpg
IMG_7190.jpg

Shigefusa starter set:
270mm kasumi gyuto
135mm yo-kasumi petty

shigefusa set.jpg

Raquins arrived from @nakneker! Muchas gracias!
Raquin KT 220mm gyuto
Raquin 140mm honesuki

View attachment 79742

The feeling when you get all four railroads in Monopoly. Left to right:
140mm honesuki
180mm nakiri
220mm KT gyuto
250mm gyuto

View attachment 79743

Left: KT choil, Right: Standard gyuto choil

View attachment 79744View attachment 79745

Shigefusa starter set:
270mm kasumi gyuto
135mm yo-kasumi petty

View attachment 79746
Raquins are special, there’s a reason why they last minutes in the BSTs. I’m glad they went to someone who appreciates what they have!

Picked up this Yoshimi Kato Santoku the other day from HomeButcher (that guy is cool af) and I love it.....but I have a stupid question. Will the dark etched edge start to patina or wear off? It’s blue paper #2 steel but I don’t own another blade with this finish. I hope it stays just like this. I think it looks cool as he11.
PS- this one came without any hay 😕
The core steel will take some additional patina over time, but you'll maintain that contrast with the nickel and cladding steel. Thinning will abrade the darkened layer away, but the core steel can easily be etched again.

The core steel will take some additional patina over time, but you'll maintain that contrast with the nickel and cladding steel. Thinning will abrade the darkened layer away, but the core steel can easily be etched again.
Thank you!

Back