Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful knife and pics thank you!

View attachment 103479

View attachment 103480

A couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to pick up a 270mm Hinoura River Jump. I’m normally not drawn to unicorns. Hinoura’s River Jump fell into a bit of a different category. Apart from being a master knife-smith Hinoura has perfected a technique to twist his damascus blade into a unique form. One can’t argue the skill. Whether that implies that you should pay a premium price to add it to your collection. I did.

Upon receipt I have to admit being more impressed than I thought I would be. It’s a substantial blade ... more workhorse than laser. It’s balance is substantially blade heavy. I don’t mind that ... it’s not that it will be a daily user. Nominally a 270mm Gyuto. White #2 Damascus forged by Tsukasa Hinoura Actual blade length is 262mm depth ... 50mm 62 HRC. 4.69x3.45x3.2mm thickness at the heel, mid and 1” from the tip. 266gms. Magnolia wood and water buffalo horn collar. F&f is excellent and suitable for the knife. The handle is a disappointment, but is easy to change.

I asked my family if they had a preference for a meal to be used to welcome the River Jump to the family. As we have turned into a late fall the family was unanimous in their wish for a Seven Layer Supper. Seven layers it is. Here’s a few pics of the knife in action.

View attachment 103492
View attachment 103493

View attachment 103494

View attachment 103495

View attachment 103496

View attachment 103497

Super sexy photography! Is that a 210 or a 240? I envy you for that one!

240mm

and thanks. usually my photography isn't to people's taste. but this thread isn't show your professional product photography so Im ok with my twisted sense of what makes a good photograph.

These are such bad*** knives. I contemplated picking one up before the pandemic but went with a shigehiro instead. Still would love one but i’ll have to avoid iron for now.

Yeah, after a while of only having stainless, stainless clad and semi stainless, I forgot how finicky iron is, even just for home use. Leave it sitting a bit too long and water spots start forming or your nice blue/purple patina is suddenly yellow/brown. It must take constant attention to maintain in a pro environment. How’s that stainless clad Shi.han doing btw? I’ve been eyeing one of his 52100 to go with my A2, but to go mono or stainless clad, that is the dilemma.

@kpham12 I enjoyed your write up about the CKC Doi. It looks great! As I wrote before, I love mine, even though it is the ToGo (KS) version. I do plan to pick up at least one more of his knives in the future. I hope it gives you many years of great service!

Thanks, I usually exhaust the search button here looking for info before buying a knife, but I couldn’t find anything about this particular model, so I thought I’d try to contribute something. As for the KS version, I liked this one so much, a couple days after I got it, I saw there was only one KS Doi left in stock and a voice in the back of my head started whispering ”buy it”, but when I went to check again, it was already snatched up (maybe by @spaceconvoy ?) Whoever got it, my poor wallet thanks you.

lol yeah, it was me... If it helps ease the pain, the backside stamp was only partially struck and doesn't look as cool as kpham12's

Itsuo Doi Blue 2 Ironclad 240 mm gyuto
246x54 mm
260 g
3.1 mm at handle (above machi gap), 3.0 mm at heel, 2.5 mm at the middle, 1.2 mm at 1 cm from the tip
Hand-laminated sanmai construction
Purchased from Carbon Knife Co

Saw another Doi posted here a couple days ago, so I thought I’d post this in solidarity. Since selling my Mazaki a few months ago, I’ve missed having a full carbon workhorse in rotation. Wanted a Watanabe/Toyama ironclad for a while now, but they’re hard to come by these days and my stainless clad Watanabe falls solidly into the middleweight category. I agonized back and forth between this Doi, the KS style Doi from CKTG or a Mizuno DX, but in the end, the added weight and heel height won me over.
View attachment 103427

View attachment 103426

View attachment 103429
Choil
View attachment 103431
Spine
View attachment 103428
Balance point
View attachment 103430
View attachment 103433

View attachment 103432
Bonus points for the cool stamp

Been using this thing for a couple weeks now and I think I’ve gotten a good feel for it. Clearly already a heavy knife, the stock handle is a bit anorexic, narrower and lighter than any standard octagonal ho wood handle I’ve held before. In conjunction with the machi gap, this pushes the balance point to right in front of the 4th character of the Doi stamp, making this the most forward balanced of any knife I’ve owned, right on the edge of being unwieldy. While thin enough behind the edge, the overall grind is very substantial and nicely convexed on both sides from spine to edge, with a pronounced right side bias (sorry lefties). Unlike the KS style Doi gyuto from CKTG, distal taper here is almost nonexistent and the tip could stand to shed some weight.

Despite not ghosting through onions horizontally, the tip still slides through surprisingly well with just a tiny bit of lift. On soft product, the Doi absolutely plows through, with the weight and forward balance doing all the work. Tested it on carrots, apples, sweet potatoes and yucca and while it does face some resistance from dense produce overall, the grind does an excellent job of preventing any dead stop wedging. Additionally, the stiffer spine and solid construction really give the confidence to muscle through taller foods while the cutting feel is still pretty smooth for such a hefty knife. Edge retention is somewhere in the neighborhood of my Watanabe, maybe not quite as hard, but accounting for the Doi’s extra weight and how much more heavy handed I am with it than my Wat, I figure it’s pretty close. Great balance of food separation and release, as expected from the asymmetric convex grind. Nice all around profile, not as flat as it looks, but with a decent flat by the heel and a gentle curve to the tip. Cladding is less reactive than my Mazaki. Spine is eased some and choil is chamfered.

All in all, this thing is a thoroughbred workhorse. An excellent piece of craftsmanship by Itsuo Doi and the sharpener, Mitsuo Yamatsuka. I think a little thinning right behind the edge and some extra work around the tip area will really make this knife sing, but in the meantime, it’s like driving a tank; a bit heavy and lacking in nuance, but authoritative and totally bulletproof, able to roll over anything you put in front of it and come out the other end unscathed.

Thanks to @Brian Weekley and @Twigg for answering my questions about Doi knives.

Beautiful knife -‘inward just staring at that Kasumi finish. and great, practical and very useful review.
Thanks for this

I got this in today,
Much to spousal Schafer in - Ginsanko - which is always practical and useful to have in the kitchen

The purple packing of course gives away the brand. And I have always been a fan of Y Tanaka - good to see his work in Ginsanko

8B35A844-C79A-4802-9153-F27AE1F9D167.jpeg
B9725375-DEDD-4CE6-9CAC-BE2A815FBC93.jpeg
7FF18B8E-97E7-46E5-81A6-3C008C4F450F.jpeg
29415F83-18A6-4D39-BBE5-27AEAD98DF65.jpeg

View attachment 103479

View attachment 103480

A couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to pick up a 270mm Hinoura River Jump. I’m normally not drawn to unicorns. Hinoura’s River Jump fell into a bit of a different category. Apart from being a master knife-smith Hinoura has perfected a technique to twist his damascus blade into a unique form. One can’t argue the skill. Whether that implies that you should pay a premium price to add it to your collection. I did.

Upon receipt I have to admit being more impressed than I thought I would be. It’s a substantial blade ... more workhorse than laser. It’s balance is substantially blade heavy. I don’t mind that ... it’s not that it will be a daily user. Nominally a 270mm Gyuto. White #2 Damascus forged by Tsukasa Hinoura Actual blade length is 262mm depth ... 50mm 62 HRC. 4.69x3.45x3.2mm thickness at the heel, mid and 1” from the tip. 266gms. Magnolia wood and water buffalo horn collar. F&f is excellent and suitable for the knife. The handle is a disappointment, but is easy to change.

I asked my family if they had a preference for a meal to be used to welcome the River Jump to the family. As we have turned into a late fall the family was unanimous in their wish for a Seven Layer Supper. Seven layers it is. Here’s a few pics of the knife in action.

View attachment 103492
View attachment 103493

View attachment 103494

View attachment 103495

View attachment 103496

View attachment 103497

This is very cool :) I'm not often a fan of damascus, but that's a seriously classy version. And kudos for splashing out on something lovely and putting it to its proper use, rather tucking it away in the drawer!

Catchside Carving Set.jpg

Not exactly current, but it is my newest buy; also I realized that I never posted this. This is a carving set that I commissioned from Will Catchside about 5 years ago. It is feather Damascus (the fork is too), with Amboyna Burl, buffalo horn, copper and brass handles. They are sitting on a Dave Smith Boardsmith walnut cutting board. The set only gets used once or twice a year (obviously not this year), but it will eventually go to my son and his wife at some point.

My first nakiri. Yanick, nakiri, 135cr3, 182 x 58. Awesomeness.

View attachment 103653
View attachment 103654
View attachment 103655

y̵̞̤̻̫͛̎͊͂o̴̢̠̪̺̫͉͒̉̅̀̆̈́̆̔̽̎́͋͒͛ú̵͉̟͈̻̭̣͙̘̬̈́̅̾̐ͅ ̶̧͉̣̮̯̹̦͈̲̟̦̳̻̐͒̈́̄̃̂̐͛̀͐̒͘͝p̶̻̖̯͓̺͎̞̯͈̗̜̈͗̾̈́͌͗̃͒̃͑͑̿͘͘͝ļ̶̬͎͉͔̲͚̬͓̃̍̆̋̐̔̎̔̓͂͆̕͘e̷̺̻͕͉̩͕̯̮͉̭͔̮̦͍̓̾̏̿͂̔͛̾̏̆̃̍͝͝͝a̶̞̝͇͈̗͐͗̊̂́̒̀̿̾̌̈s̷̡̨̨̮̗͕͓̫͓͖̖̜̓͒̀͝ę̸̢̡̲̱͔͇̥̞̞͈̻͕̑̊́̾ͅͅ ̷̬̣̝̜͕͚̹̃̈t̶̰̟̣̫̫̩̯̬̬̀̒̔̎͛h̴͕̲̭̪̱͍̟̫̎͑ͅȩ̸̠̹̖̙̯̞͚̪̄͛̓̍̃ ̴̨̡̬̪͙̦̋̉̚l̸̡̠̹͇̖͓͙̩̹͇̩̓̾̅̒̓͌͊̎̾͛́́̕͠o̶̘͕͇͕̫͌͒̂̈̃̏̀̅̏̄̈́̇̚r̴̝̳͘d̵̞̝̘̳̒̄̄̔̽̿̅ ̶̧̟͈͔̭̤̹̲͓͓̹̠͙́̔̀̽͑̈́̂̆͐̉ͅo̶̢̲̱͖̗̻̗͕̪̜̓̐̏̉̍̄̕ͅf̶̱̫͉̲̜̝̘͖̪͍̬̬̀̍ ̷͚̂̿̽̃͘ͅń̷͍̭̞̬̤̠̞̚a̶̺͎͓̹͍͋̃̽̃́̿̄̚̕ͅķ̴̣̃̚ị̷͔͔͕̠̻̱͖̞͓́́̆̑͝r̴͙̝̲̮̠̭͕͎̪͙͎̱͑̓̉̅̽̏̄̕͜͝i̴̘͕̳͚͂̓̇̔̊̄ ̸̢̛̞̠̈́͛̏̈̂͛̾͑͛̒͒̏͜w̷̢̱̤͓̺̹̣̥̓̊͋̍̀̂̔i̵̲͙͍̟̙͇͎̹̳̋̂̀͒̔́̆́̄̾̊̔͘͝ṫ̸̢̛͓̩̳̲̘͚̈́͂̇̊̓̅̿̕̚h̶̺͇̯͓̪̻͂̾̄ ̸̙͇͇̠̼̟̻̞͎̺͓͓̳́̿̇̅̉͂̑̋͛͆̅͒ͅt̴̢̠̱͎͓͇̯͔̀̓̿͋̿̾̄͛͂̒̚͠h̵̥̥̟͂͑̈́̈́̾̑͆̑͑̃̈́̃̍̽͐i̶̲̓̈͛̿͂͊̄̊͂͝s̴̼̪̥̹̙̥͍͖̤̣͚͂͆ͅ ̵͉̝͙̘͍̩͔͍̯̈́̿̏͝ͅp̴̛̮͖̲̤̥͕͕̘̲̍͗͑̿̅ų̷̰̱͙͙͉̘̜̝̰̥̀́̐̓̽̑͂͆̀̽̽͠ŕ̷̖̞̣̯̙̐͆͐̃̈́̓̒̂͑̈́̅͊͝͝ć̸͉̣̮̣͓̀͌̆̈́͆̑́ḧ̷̡̨̘̗̮̱̘̤͚̮̯̍͘͝a̴̡̙̟͓͈͑̽͒̑̽̉͂̓̕͝s̸̱̓̄̌̔̂͗̒̕͝ë̴́̌̂̆͂̊͆͜͠

w̶̢̢̨̜̼͔̼̲͙̓̎̇̐̂̉͜͜͝͝ę̵̰̠̰͈̬͉̹̜̂̈́̿̂͒̊̊̌͜͜l̵̡͍͚͕̣̥͕̝̝͎̙͉̇̆̔̈́̅͜͠ĉ̸̨̘̯̰̤̖̬̪̭̜̯̥̾̃̄̚͘͝ͅͅø̶̨̡̜̟͙̞͎͎͎̪̰̞̦͔̍̓͑̾͐͊̄͋̐̓́͗͝ͅm̶̯̭̰͋̃͛̔̓̂̍͘e̶̡̠̺̝̫͕͚͂͗͌͗̚ ̴͓̞̥̙̩̺̮͎̮͍̺͊̚͠b̸̛̰̬̘̱̘̞̖̯̣̝͕͙̰̖̔̃̂͂̍͝r̶̹̘͇͕͔̍̿̉́͋̐͘ö̸̜̊̎́͊͛͛̈́̐̋̓̚̚͝t̵̪̲͙̩̤̳̯͍̰̦͈̥̒̔̅̌̆̇̇͠͝ḩ̵̨̞̗̗̭̀̽̃̈́͋͜ͅę̵̨̢̺̺̭̥̫͑͂̍̍̍̀̒͝͝r̶̛͔̪̥̉̿̐̇̇̔͋̅ ̷̘̭̞̟͍̖̩͙̫̟̠̯̣͑̍̈́̐̈́͌̊̀̄̀̕͝

Back