Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another knife came in today, pretty excited with this one: Shoichi Hashimoto 240mm gyuto Unryu-mon style cladding with White 2 & Blue 2 Damascus core. The F&F, taper, and the grind on this blade is a lot better than I expected.

Wow, congrats on this stunning blade. Please share with us its performance when you have time. Thanks!

Straight out of the mail box. Tadafusa Nashiji 180mm Blue #2 from Epicurean Edge.

Nothing fancy for sure but I am still quite excited as the knife represents some firsts for me:

1. First carbon steel kitchen knife - This is something a year or so ago I would have not considered.

2. My first 180mm gyuto (have a 210).

3. My first distinctly asymmetrically ground blade - you can see the difference between the left and right.

Just a couple quick pictures:

vMgXGte.jpg

QiRVQJ8.jpg

Still chasing a couple of Y Tanakas to shore here, so this number from a couple of months back remains my last purchase.

Half expected to take a slightly unreasonable ‘principled’ dislike to this one, largely because I’ve been watching the Mazaki hype from afar for some time and hadn’t been arsed to jump in even at the peak. But a local retailer (Kitchen Provisions) actually seemed to have belatedly brought some over to London, so it was all too easy to take a punt

I’ll have to admit to being really quite impressed - perhaps I’ve been lucky with this one, but it came with an excellent OOTB edge and Is a fantastically smooth cutter.

64FD8314-E749-4C88-9655-9763F92EBA5F.jpeg

5E115986-D0FF-4279-85B2-F95EF3D79C3F.jpeg

Straight out of the mail box. Tadafusa Nashiji 180mm Blue #2 from Epicurean Edge.

Nothing fancy for sure but I am still quite excited as the knife represents some firsts for me:

1. First carbon steel kitchen knife - This is something a year or so ago I would have not considered.

2. My first 180mm gyuto (have a 210).

3. My first distinctly asymmetrically ground blade - you can see the difference between the left and right.

Just a couple quick pictures:

vMgXGte.jpg

QiRVQJ8.jpg

Glad to see you finally got a carbon! I’ll be curious to hear how it compares to your stainless collection. Is that a lefty grind I see?

Just arrived today - three days after ordering from JCK. I'm a real fan of the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan white #1 line. The rustic nashiji finish and supreme cutting call to me. These come from the TF forge. I already had a 135mm petty - it measures a little long at 140mm edge length - and a 180mm bunka which has an edge length of 183mm. I decided to add a 160mm petty as a silverskin peeler. The blade is actually 154mm, so not as much a difference from the other petty than I expected.
0317frkz160pty.jpg

And with it's siblings.
0317frkzsblg.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting - crappy cell phone photos.

Just arrived today - three days after ordering from JCK. I'm a real fan of the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan white #1 line. The rustic nashiji finish and supreme cutting call to me. These come from the TF forge. I already had a 135mm petty - it measures a little long at 140mm edge length - and a 180mm bunka which has an edge length of 183mm. I decided to add a 160mm petty as a silverskin peeler. The blade is actually 154mm, so not as much a difference from the other petty than I expected.
View attachment 118924

And with it's siblings.
View attachment 118925

Sorry for the poor lighting - crappy cell phone photos.
I liked my 135 enough that 1) I bought my mom one and 2) promised my daughter that it will be her first real knife when she's old enough. Cute, fun knife for sure!

I liked my 135 enough that 1) I bought my mom one and 2) promised my daughter that it will be her first real knife when she's old enough. Cute, fun knife for sure!
Yeah, I think these are great value knives. Your daughter will be sure to treasure such a gift.

View attachment 118171A very unheard of knife from an up-and-coming knife maker, you guys probably haven’t heard of him, takayuki shibata? This is the 210

Is the the kotetsu in R2? I’ve been looking at that one as my next purchase in 240mm. I’d be very interested to hear how you like it and how the flat spot compares to a “regular” gyuto.

I've been slacking, so it's time for a round up.

First up is Alfredsson Knives (Login • Instagram). A gyuto measuring 247*53 weighing in at 205. The maker was given free hands. I was a bit unsure about the handle shape, but I wanted to try "his" handle, and it's really nice in hand. Steel is 1.2519, handle is paduuk with a brass ferrule. Compound geometry with a slight S. There's something satisfying with how this knife contacts the board. Might be that it has some belly, but a rather long flat spot. The colors are not given justice in the full-knife shot. Check out the Imgur for better pictures.

IMG_2884.jpeg

Next up is Knives by Lars (Login • Instagram). Gyuto at 225*58 at 225 g in C75S, jayoba and burnt ash. This was bought from the maker's webpage. The price is about Euro 250, with VAT, so it's a grate value offering. It's a mono steel with soft spine (not hamon, some other method). This is a "low price" Swedish knife, but it's quality through and through. Everything is well made, and it has a really nice cutting geometry. Lars has been at it for quite some time, but I don't see him getting the recognition he deserves. I'm going to swap this one for another from him with a straighter blade profile.

IMG_3022.jpeg

And finally, Fredrik Spåre (Login • Instagram). Gyuto at 227*54 and 181 g made from 1.2419/15n20, stabilized birch burl with bronze ferrule. Usually I don't go for damascus, but it felt like it was the right choice from this maker. Only one month wait, and he gave really good input. He focuses on knives that perform in a professional kitchen. I don't know about that, but it works really well in my home kitchen.

IMG_3113.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been slacking, so it's time for a round up.

First up is Alfredsson Knives (Login • Instagram). A gyuto measuring 247*53 weighing in at 205. The maker was given free hands. I was a bit unsure about the handle shape, but I wanted to try "his" handle, and it's really nice in hand. Steel is 1.2519, handle is paduuk with a brass ferrule. Slight konvex geometry. There's something satisfying with how this knife contacts the board. Might be that it has some belly, but a rather long flat spot. The colors are not given justice in the full-knife shot. Check out the Imgur for better pictures.

View attachment 118945

Next up is Knives by Lars (Login • Instagram). Gyuto at 225*58 at 225 g in C75S, jayoba and burnt ash. This was bought from the maker's webpage. The price is about Euro 250, with VAT, so it's a grate value offering. It's a mono steel with soft spine (not hamon, some other method). This is a "low price" Swedish knife, but it's quality through and through. Everything is well made, and it has a really nice cutting geometry. Lars has been at it for quite some time, but I don't see him getting the recognition he deserves. I'm going to swap this one for another from him with a straighter blade profile.

View attachment 118946

And finally, Fredrik Spåre (Login • Instagram). Gyuto at 227*54 and 181 g made from 1.2419/15n20, stabilized birch burl with bronze ferrule. Usually I don't go for damascus, but it felt like it was the right choice from this maker. Only one month wait, and he gave really good input. He focuses on knives that perform in a professional kitchen. I don't know about that, but it works really well in my home kitchen.

View attachment 118947

Really nice gang of Swedes you got there. Got a Spåre in the mail right now, looking forward to get it in my hands.

What does yours say on the box? Mine was purchased in October 2020 and says it's a 150 on the label.

Really nice gang of Swedes you got there. Got a Spåre in the mail right now, looking forward to get it in my hands.
Thanks. I think Spåre is one to get now. I think he ticks all the boxes for both a higher price and longer waiting time due to full books. Hope yours turns out nice. Hope to see some pics!

Thanks. I think Spåre is one to get now. I think he ticks all the boxes for both a higher price and longer waiting time due to full books. Hope yours turns out nice. Hope to see some pics!
I totally agree with you that it's worth to get one now. I was lucky to grab one he had ready, so there was no waiting time at all. The price is simply awesome for how refined these knives look. I will definitely post some pictures here once the knife arrives.

Might want to contact your vendor to see what’s up, otherwise you might have food release issues.

I did give them a call and they chalked it up to variation and said they don't have any left hand grinds in that knife. I wasn't put off by the answer at all and they did say that if I experienced performance issues to let them know.

So now that I'm home and could give it a better look over, it is just a spot right there at the choil and fades quickly. Grabbed some carrots and onions and it's a nice slicer. There's sticking but no worse some of my other knives so right now, for $110, I'm pretty pleased.

I did give them a call and they chalked it up to variation and said they don't have any left hand grinds in that knife. I wasn't put off by the answer at all and they did say that if I experienced performance issues to let them know.

So now that I'm home and could give it a better look over, it is just a spot right there at the choil and fades quickly. Grabbed some carrots and onions and it's a nice slicer. There's sticking but no worse some of my other knives so right now, for $110, I'm pretty pleased.

I don't think looking at the choil can accurately determine whether a knife is lefty-biased or not. I've had a lot of knives that look like that and they were all appropriately ground. If it cuts well, I wouldn't worry at all.

I don't think looking at the choil can accurately determine whether a knife is lefty-biased or not. I've had a lot of knives that look like that and they were all appropriately ground. If it cuts well, I wouldn't worry at all.
Me too.
I like using the skinny edge of a credit card as a straight edge held from edge to spine to see what's up with the grind where.

Me too.
I like using the skinny edge of a credit card as a straight edge held from edge to spine to see what's up with the grind where.

That's basically what I did along with just laying the blade atop the cutting board and feeling for the angle. Dang near flat on both sides.

It's a light, wieldy knife. OOTB edge leaves something to be desired but that's no big deal.

My FRKZ ginsan yanagiba 300mm arrived today, shipping only take two days from japan to New Zealand, ridiculous fastest shipping I've ever experience.

The knife is has more low & high spot compare to my blue two FRKZ. I guess must be need at least one hour to even the blade road. Which I don't think is necessary to even the blade road in single session sharpening. the uraoshi doing very well job!

The saya is friction fit, I fall in love with the saya immediately! Handle is slimmer compare to my FRKZ blue two yanagiba ,but suit for my hand. Knife is very easy to sharpen as well.

Now I don't have to worry about rusty problem now, because I working in the face paced restaurant noe, cut many different ingredient including lemon, rust free is a big relief for me. Gonna using Honyaki yanagiba for preparing sashimi & sushi neta, ginsan yanagiba for rolls, lemon, beef & tuna tataki 😍😍😍.
IMG_20210319_225554.jpg
IMG_20210319_230120.jpg
IMG_20210319_230128.jpg
IMG_20210319_230137.jpg
IMG_20210319_230337.jpg
IMG_20210319_232421.jpg
IMG_20210320_002820.jpg
IMG_20210319_225545.jpg

Last edited:
Still chasing a couple of Y Tanakas to shore here, so this number from a couple of months back remains my last purchase.

Half expected to take a slightly unreasonable ‘principled’ dislike to this one, largely because I’ve been watching the Mazaki hype from afar for some time and hadn’t been arsed to jump in even at the peak. But a local retailer (Kitchen Provisions) actually seemed to have belatedly brought some over to London, so it was all too easy to take a punt

I’ll have to admit to being really quite impressed - perhaps I’ve been lucky with this one, but it came with an excellent OOTB edge and Is a fantastically smooth cutter.

View attachment 118864

View attachment 118865

I bought the same knife (215mm?) from the same retailer last year.

It was genuinely the worst OOTB cutter I've ever had. It was atrocious (and the edge wasn't great either but he isn't known for his edges). It could not cut a potato without seriously wedging. It took me 8~10 hours to fix it (you can see what I did here mazaki knives).

Although after the makeover it's become one of my favourite knives. The handle definitely needs oil and wax though.

Latest posts

Back