Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
84055389-256F-464A-BFC8-94ADFDEF3B42.jpeg

A couple of months ago I had the good luck to make a package deal which included a K-tip Gyuto from Bjorn Birgersson. First up to use from the package was the BB Gyuto. I was intrigued because it was a Warikomi construction using a high carbon (unspecified steel) core clad in mild steel. It was presented as having a high 66-67 HRC. Coming from a young maker from Sweden I was intrigued and ultimately delighted with the knife. Going to the BB website I found two matching gyutos were available so I ordered them. This is the larger of the two. 271mm, WA style Bocote handle, 62mm tall at the heel and a thin 2.35mm at the makers mark. 249 gms. Here’s a few pics …

728BB38D-0912-48E1-9C19-1FC09284F828.jpeg

9DAE5534-9002-4F99-B659-399DC40F0AA6.jpeg

AE2DA2FA-4B79-4B13-9B03-C20725E62EFE.jpeg

4853BBE9-203D-43F8-B06C-6193F8311A8D.jpeg

As with my previous Gyuto this example shows superior f&f. The blade is beautifully forged and has excellent distal taper. It’s a bit on the long side for a daily users in my small kitchen but I took advantage of a good opportunity to put it into action. Our local Co-op has strip loin halves on sale for $7.99lb (About $6 USD). Considering that strip loin sells by the steak at about $25 lb, I picked up a couple of halves. While I have a proper butchers knife for portioning these strip loins I thought I would put my new found oversized BB Gyuto into action. Here’s a few pics …

B4BFE9CE-34DC-4043-A6E2-2EF7C12D9C08.jpeg

F77FE128-7894-4245-B145-C504F03F6989.jpeg

59ADC023-39AB-4373-B921-9A8D29307C95.jpeg

This puppy is sharp. Most portions separated with a single draw. I don’t know whether I’ll do this again with this knife. With a thin knife and a high HRC I was very careful about drawing straight and firmly through each portion. I didn’t want any chipping when I contacted the board. My nice (much cheaper) stainless Victorinox butchers knife would probably have been a better choice. In any event this new BB Gyuto has a great new home in my kitchen and will see regular use. I’ve already ordered a sujihiki and a nakiri from Bjorn to round out my set.

For those that are interested in trying out the work of an excellent young maker from Sweden, he still has a few western handled gyutos for sale at reasonable prices on his website.

Last edited:
View attachment 155997

A couple of months ago I had the good luck to make a package deal which included a K-tip Gyuto from Bjorn Birgersson. First up to use from the package was the BB Gyuto. I was intrigued because it was a Warikomi construction using a high carbon (unspecified steel) core clad in mild steel. It was presented as having a high 64-65 HRC. Coming from a young maker from Sweden I was intrigued and ultimately delighted with the knife. Going to the BB website I found two matching gyutos were available so I ordered them. This is the larger of the two. 271mm, WA style Bocote handle, 62mm tall at the heel and a thin 2.35mm at the makers mark. 249 gms. Here’s a few pics …

View attachment 155998

View attachment 156000

View attachment 155999

View attachment 156001

As with my previous Gyuto this example shows superior f&f. The blade is beautifully forged and has excellent distal taper. It’s a bit on the long side for a daily users in my small kitchen but I took advantage of a good opportunity to put it into action. Our local Co-op has strip loin halves on sale for $7.99lb (About $6 USD). Considering that strip loin sells by the steak at about $25 lb, I picked up a couple of halves. While I have a proper butchers knife for portioning these strip loins I thought I would put my new found oversized BB Gyuto into action. Here’s a few pics …

View attachment 156005

View attachment 156006

View attachment 156007

This puppy is sharp. Most portions separated with a single draw. I don’t know whether I’ll do this again with this knife. With a thin knife and a high HRC I was very careful about drawing straight and firmly through each portion. I didn’t want any chipping when I contacted the board. My nice (much cheaper) stainless Victorinox butchers knife would probably have been a better choice. In any event this new BB Gyuto has a great new home in my kitchen and will see regular use. I’ve already ordered a sujihiki and a nakiri from Bjorn to round out my set.

For those that are interested in trying out the work of an excellent young maker from Sweden, he still has a few western handled gyutos for sale at reasonable prices on his website.
Thank you for the nice words. I am very glad you like my work! Very beautiful location for pictures as well. Thank you for supporting my passion my friend 🙏🥰

4B170BAA-A872-4A04-971C-C8E14AF9C6A3.jpeg

One more from Bjorn …

The second (smaller) Gyuto that arrived this week from Bjorn Birgersson. A smaller Gyuto at 186mm. A wonderful “pocket” sized knife that will see a lot of use in my kitchen. Similar to the other two in my set, it features the excellent f&f that BB knives can claim. Warikomi construction, forge welded by Bjorn with a high carbon core and soft steel cladding. HRC at 66-67 … it’s a good thing I have a set of JKI Diamond stones to keep it sharp when the time comes. Bocote handle with a very attractive grain and finish. I’ve asked Bjorn to do up two more knives for me in a similar style to complete my set. Stay tuned! Here’s a few more pics …

B801C954-E4EE-4B9F-A6AE-EC9575D636E8.jpeg

6BF678CA-CC9B-4A70-A595-05A200720E48.jpeg

6A268131-0154-49FE-AB23-E57CA9CB8522.jpeg

One aspect of these knives that really pleased me was the speed with which they took to be shipped. Five days from drop off with DHL in rural Sweden to my door in British Columbia Canada. WOW!!! I currently have knives on a grand tour of America with USPS. Two of which have been sitting unmoved in the LA International facility for 18 days as of today. The best part … shipping from Sweden was half the cost of shipping with USPS. Hmmmmmm … what’s up with that! Anyway when the knife arrived I was so excited showing it to family that I snagged the tip of my index finger real good with the heel of the knife. That’s when I was happy with the scary sharp blade Bjorn put on the knife. The inadvertent cutting test happened Friday and the bandage came off today … four days to heal. Wanting to do a proper demonstration of the cutting ability of the knife I put it to work prepping some bits for a Speghetti Squash Cassarole. Here’s some action pics …

870B53D9-481A-4CC3-B39F-6630C34F8F31.jpeg

419A7B60-3491-4AD8-A83C-4037A2D6BDD7.jpeg

427DC8B4-8C55-409B-BAA3-4DDE29B1A90C.jpeg

And the final result.

3DF21267-7CF8-4536-AE3D-3A4ABD98F955.jpeg

There is no question in my mind that Bjorn Birgersson has a great future with BB knives. The three I have are quality products at very reasonable prices. I’m a believer.

View attachment 156029

One more from Bjorn …

The second (smaller) Gyuto that arrived this week from Bjorn Birgersson. A smaller Gyuto at 186mm. A wonderful “pocket” sized knife that will see a lot of use in my kitchen. Similar to the other two in my set, it features the excellent f&f that BB knives can claim. Warikomi construction, forge welded by Bjorn with a high carbon core and soft steel cladding. HRC at 66-67 … it’s a good thing I have a set of JKI Diamond stones to keep it sharp when the time comes. Bocote handle with a very attractive grain and finish. I’ve asked Bjorn to do up two more knives for me in a similar style to complete my set. Stay tuned! Here’s a few more pics …

View attachment 156030

View attachment 156031

View attachment 156032

One aspect of these knives that really pleased me was the speed with which they took to be shipped. Five days from drop off with DHL in rural Sweden to my door in British Columbia Canada. WOW!!! I currently have knives on a grand tour of America with USPS. Two of which have been sitting unmoved in the LA International facility for 18 days as of today. The best part … shipping from Sweden was half the cost of shipping with USPS. Hmmmmmm … what’s up with that! Anyway when the knife arrived I was so excited showing it to family that I snagged the tip of my index finger real good with the heel of the knife. That’s when I was happy with the scary sharp blade Bjorn put on the knife. The inadvertent cutting test happened Friday and the bandage came off today … four days to heal. Wanting to do a proper demonstration of the cutting ability of the knife I put it to work prepping some bits for a Speghetti Squash Cassarole. Here’s some action pics …

View attachment 156034

View attachment 156035

View attachment 156036

And the final result.

View attachment 156037

There is no question in my mind that Bjorn Birgersson has a great future with BB knives. The three I have are quality products at very reasonable prices. I’m a believer.
Thank you again! Awesome! Sharpen on your regular stones. It sharpens very easy on regular non-diamond stones. Very good feedback and gets crazy sharp. It will surprise you how good it sharpens. 🥳🥳

Here’s a couple more pics from the kitchen/front deck …

EF2EEFE2-8957-4669-A879-8946FED5303D.jpeg
65282B8F-A774-4189-B638-55711606B5E5.jpeg

Great view to sharpen knives from. The view is looking east from Vancouver Island in Canada to SanJuan Island in the USA. The mountain is Mt. Baker … should make a great view when the dormant volcano comes alive. The Island is San Juan Island … the site of the Great Canadian American Pig War. Canada and the United States went to war against each other and landed troops on this island to duke it out. It’s true … look it up! The body of water is the Straight of Juan de Fuca. The Canadian - American border is in the center. A steady stream of shipping passes by making entertaining viewing … especially when Cruise Ships pass by at night lights ablaze. The only thing that beats a great view is more knives.

View attachment 156029

One more from Bjorn …

View attachment 156030

View attachment 156031

View attachment 156032

View attachment 156034

View attachment 156035

View attachment 156036

And the final result.

View attachment 156037

Thanks for the great write up!

@Brian Weekley I could probably go thru this thread and do the count but would you mind sharing how many new knives you get per week, on average? 2 - 3? Your collection must take up a whole room, just stacked from floor to ceiling!

@Brian Weekley I could probably go thru this thread and do the count but would you mind sharing how many new knives you get per week, on average? 2 - 3? Your collection must take up a whole room, just stacked from floor to ceiling!

I do have a fairly large collection of knives. Primarily because for years I had a policy of not selling knives that I bought. A few months ago I decided on a change in direction by focussing on a few makers and sets of knives from those makers. I also ordered a few customs from the makers I most wanted to follow. To do that I held a “fifty for one” sale. The idea being that I would sell fifty of my knives to facilitate the purchase of new knives that met my plan. I sold off 25 A+ knives originally. What you are seeing posted are their replacements. As I held off buying anything new for several months you are seeing the results of quite a bit of purchasing. BST is a treasure trove of nice knives at reasonable prices. Believe me … there are more to come that reflect my new plan. In addition I will be starting to sell the second half of my fifty knives on BST. There will be some nice knives and hopefully attractive prices. Most of the first 25 knives lasted less than 30 minutes on BST. I have a couple of knives being delivered today including a Shiraki. You will see it and it’s mate very soon.

Most of the first 25 knives lasted less than 30 minutes on BST.
You got me hyped to see what lands on BST now. When’s your mass drop planned? Or could I sign up on your newsletter for advanced notification? Lol

Your plan definitely seems to be working because the knives you are sharing here are all stunning

You got me hyped to see what lands on BST now. When’s your mass drop planned? Or could I sign up on your newsletter for advanced notification? Lol

Your plan definitely seems to be working because the knives you are sharing here are all stunning

They are pretty nice and there is more to come. I gave up some pretty nice knives to make this change in direction. The second half of the “fifty for one” sale aren’t quite so remarkable but there will be some sweet pieces as well. No mass drop … these are all members of my family and will go to new homes with dignity.

Totally agree about the above assessments of Björn Birgersson’s knives.
I have too many knives (per my wife at least) but always seem to reach for Björn’s lately for most tasks. Really takes and holds a nice edge. I haven’t touched this one up in a while but still easily slides through ripe tomato skins. Still wondering about what steel Björn uses 🤔
712A5664-DBDA-4939-8E08-1EC95543BAE9.jpeg

+1 in my experience. My first BB … A K-Tip Gyuto came to me as a second owner … well used by the first owner but never sharpened. I reach for it more frequently than any of my other gyutos over the past couple of months and yet the edge is still showing no need to be touched up. It is assuredly the “high carbon” Swedish steel plus Bjorn hardens the blade to 66-67 HRC. Even at that hardness Bjorn insists that Diamond stones are not required for sharpening. I’m told that he will be releasing a run of 240mm gyutos. It will be interesting to hear the experience of other users.

It's almost embarrassing to post anything less-than-collector-grade is this thread, but hell I'm still doing it.
This thread belongs to everyone!
Kuwahara deba.jpg

Double-sided deba from Kuwahara san in Nagasaki. 138x44, weight 132 g, Shirogami #1 (the garlic is just for scale)
Very rustic finish, not to say rough, but I like it, it says 'I'm a tool knife!'

Back