Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
44850746ov.jpg

Two other members of the herd 🤓

nice mazaki! 👌

Got the new yaoke migaki in. Finish on the blade is beautiful and well done. Grind looks very even. Nice ebony handles on every hatsu I'v had so far. Choil and spine aren't the prettiest per say, but it's comfy enough in a grip. Might try and give them a little polish. Excited to test how it will cut. For the money...quite happy on first impressions.

jaoke.jpg

yaoke1.jpg

yaoke2.jpg

yaoke3.jpg

Got the new yaoke migaki in. Finish on the blade is beautiful and well done. Grind looks very even. Nice ebony handles on every hatsu I'v had so far. Choil and spine aren't the prettiest per say, but it's comfy enough in a grip. Might try and give them a little polish. Excited to test how it will cut. For the money...quite happy on first impressions.

View attachment 213623
View attachment 213622
View attachment 213621
View attachment 213620
So very curious about these knives. Looks super cool

NKD - Munetoshi 240, Masashi white 2 iron clad 210, Masashi blue 1 iron clad 210.
Unlike my previous Munetoshi 210 that's twisted like a snake, this one is actually straight.... so... good for me I guess
1670875603065.jpeg

1670875624514.jpeg

Surprisingly straight Munetoshi -
1670875972356.png

Used the yaoke for a quick curry tonight. I can't give complete impressions because it came with a pretty ****** ootb edge, and didn't want to pause dinner prep that much. Gave it 5 minutes on chosera 3k and got it up to reasonably sharp, but given more time I think it could be much better. Overall I give it a 7/10. Initial cutting performance is fine, nothing crazy. It does seem to have pretty good food release. Hoping for bit better cutting feel with a better edge on it

migaki.jpg

My TF 240mm Denka came in today earlier than expected. They mounted handle loose I'm going to put a custom I made years ago.
612.00 $ nice blade.

I like the TF Ho handle little beefy how I like em. I'll put it on another knife.

I asked for thin grind behind edge they did that too. No need thinning or work on this blade.
IMG_20221212_141547526.jpg
IMG_20221212_142816477_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Northside honyaki 250 mm in W2

Lucas is really cool guy to work with on a custom and makes an awesome knife. I recommend checking out his work.
View attachment 213710View attachment 213712View attachment 213713View attachment 213714
Congrats on the Northside! I’ve commissioned 3 knives from Lucas and all of them have been stellar. He’s a pleasure to work with. I’m actually thinking of ordering a similar W2 honyaki from him - curious to hear your thoughts.

Installed Amboyna Burl & buffalo horn ferrel on the Denka. When as teaching sharpening at culinary school student wanted Amboyna Burl handle bought a piece cut it in half lengthwise & made two handles. Forgot about it in a drawer with some other handles. Think it goes well with KU on Denka. Simple just Horn & Burl.
IMG_20221212_170831878.jpg
IMG_20221212_170942275.jpg

aren't remotely like each other? Okay. In what way? Other than pointy tip and the choil relief. I'd love to know what makes them so different.

Far as I can tell they look... ehh.. interchangeable aside from those relatively minor details. Same core steel, of course. Same basic profile. Virtually identical proportions. Virtually identical grinds. Virtually identical length. Virtually identical distal taper. Identical weight. etc. So lets have a look at the stats for the 210, I hadn't even looked at these until I saw you comment btw:

3 grams difference in weight, as a percentage that's 1%. They are virtually identical. 4 mm difference in total length. Here is one legit difference: The mizkai is a bit taller, 50 mm vs 45, but on the 240 they nearly converge here. That said, because it's the mizaki that's got the extra length, the proportions are... virtually identical. Moving on... Spine above heel; both 4mm, identical. Spine at the middle; both 2 mm, identical. Width at the tip; both .08, identical.

For two knives that aren't "remotely like each other" they sure do appear to be virtually identical in every measurable way.
This is the problem with judging knives that you never held based on specs . They feel massively different in every way... and I'm saying that as someone who actually owns 240 specimen of both.

Looks are actually the least important part IMO.
When it comes to core steels, the Yoshikane's come in an SKD (semi-stainless) option, which I'd highly recommend... and even their white steel versions have stainless cladding. In comparisons the Mazakis have some of the most reactive iron cladding known to humanity.

The proportions aren't identical at all; I don't know what you've been comparing but my Mazaki is 50 grams heavier than my Yoshikane, and that's with the Maz likely having the lighter handle (Maz is ho wood, Yoshi is teak). Beyond that weight doesn't really tell you a whole lot because often there can be significant differences in the handle weights that skew the end weight, and total weight still doesn't tell you anything about where the weight is.

The idea that 5 mms of height differences (which is roughly how much mine differ as well) is a marginal difference is absolutely ludicrous; it makes a massive difference in actual usage. Just like the profile is actually far more different than given credit for, which largely results from this difference in blade height. They handle very differently on the board.

The spine measurements again say absolutely nothing here because they don't tell you how the blades taper. The taper on the Mazaki is far more gradual, having a virtually linear taper from the heel all the way to the tip. In comparison the Yoshikane basically tapers from heel width to middle width in just a few centimeters, then holds that same width for almost the entire blade, and then tapers down a lot again in the last 2 centimeters.

And no the grinds aren't similar either. The Yoshi has a significantly thinner, but also somewhat concave grind. Meanwhile the Maz is a more traditional widebevel where the bevels have actually been flattened properly by finishing on regular stones instead of a wheel. The Maz is also slightly thicker behind the edge.
In general the Maz also feels a lot less delicate though as a result. I'd be comfortable describing the Mazaki as a workhorse, but the Yoshikane I'd describe rather as a 'laser with a fat spine' (but others might challenge me on that).

Sorry, but your statement is outright ridiculous, trying to make statements about '2 knives being virtually identical' when you clearly never held either of them in your hand.
And then there's the next problem... even my comparison of the two arguably has to be taken with caution considering the significant variation Mazaki has had over the years, and there might be some for Yoshikane as well.

Last edited:
Back