Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to comparing these two
20221210_120153.jpg

thoughts on the knife, any comparisons?
Really liked it! The S-grind functions really well! The knife is well balanced, light and beautiful! The only thing that might not be the best is the texture in the feather pattern, with some foods, although there is a really nice s-grind,it ends up sticking! Apart from that it works great and it’s really, really, gorgeous! It, feels great! Everything is well done! Great craftsmanship!

Beauty, Now after getting mine in I want cumai and or some s grind in my life from Will

What convinced me to try his s-grind is that the grind is the same as his regular convex knives, he just adds the fuller. So there’s no additional thickness behind the edge. Food release may not be as good as a traditional s-grind but should be better and hopefully with no loss of cutting performance.

What convinced me to try his s-grind is that the grind is the same as his regular convex knives, he just adds the fuller. So there’s no additional thickness behind the edge. Food release may not be as good as a traditional s-grind but should be better and hopefully with no loss of cutting performance.
Honestly I think this is a better idea, some of the S-grind leaves me worry they'd fold like a Takeda, leaving the front and end intact would help with the structural integrity. Tho I only have the chance to try a Takeda and LaSeur P grind, not sure how other S-grind feels.

First Sukenari. Discovered I’m not a fan of HAP40, after messing with my test knife, long after I had already coveted this knife and wanted to try it for the allure of the higher hardening target alone. If you can’t tell I don’t even cook I just think these things are kinda cool. I was very impressed with this knife, handle is really nice, the white or marbled horn is nice, etc. very impressed with Sukenari quality and finishing and whatnot. I’d just say get the R2 or ZDP version instead. I’ve done a decent amount of testing on other knives at this point I really don’t understand why some people rave about HAP40. Most knives I’ve seen that use the steel don’t even attempt to take advantage of the one on paper benefit it does have which is improved toughness. Almost Every such knife I’ve seen has a thicker grind. Anyhow I won’t go off on some incoherent rant as I usually do. The grind on this knife is what you’d expect from Sukenari, it’s superb. It’s a lovely what id call a medium convex grind. It’s not a laser by any means but isn’t not thin either. They could probably grind them thinner to take advantage of the hap40 but more grinding especially thinner is just more cost.

Attachments

• E13FD44A-E81F-4242-92E8-8BE74079A989.jpeg
    E13FD44A-E81F-4242-92E8-8BE74079A989.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0BD93A39-E125-4EB7-9090-1B9D6BA7D486.jpeg
    0BD93A39-E125-4EB7-9090-1B9D6BA7D486.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BA07835B-29A8-4B4F-89C6-CA92AA62C174.jpeg
    BA07835B-29A8-4B4F-89C6-CA92AA62C174.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 12EB3EBF-AB64-4FBB-A112-551A0D6DA5D8.jpeg
    12EB3EBF-AB64-4FBB-A112-551A0D6DA5D8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2A2DF873-A1C6-4CF4-973A-4DBA6AAA0E93.jpeg
    2A2DF873-A1C6-4CF4-973A-4DBA6AAA0E93.jpeg
    814 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mazaki, very pointy boi.
That thing cost about as much as half the knives on one of my magnetic blocks. I think I like my minnow pond. edit: never mind I'm slow, but the first thing that popped up when I searched for it sure did. I prefer the slow death of boiling myself as a frog rather than going for the jugular. I'm not sure I could drop over 1k on a kitchen knife in a single go, especially since I don't even cook. No problem spending that in a couple weeks on 3 knives tho. I do that a lot apparently.

Are you looking at his Damascus or Hon-Sanmai? His regular white 2 is cheaper than Sukenari.
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...ucts/mazaki-white-2-gyuto-migaki-finish-210mm
Thanks for the link. That's a pretty sweet looking thing. I'm just learning about it but it looks like a cool like alternative to something like a Yoshikane, which I am familiar with.

okay I actually have heard of this knife before, I just can't recognize any of this stuff by name like that. It all looks the same to me. I'm mostly ape, I just got my thumbs last weekend.

Mazaki and Yoshikane aren't really remotely like eachother; they're completely different knives.
aren't remotely like each other? Okay. In what way? Other than pointy tip and the choil relief. I'd love to know what makes them so different.

Far as I can tell they look... ehh.. interchangeable aside from those relatively minor details. Same core steel, of course. Same basic profile. Virtually identical proportions. Virtually identical grinds. Virtually identical length. Virtually identical distal taper. Identical weight. etc. So lets have a look at the stats for the 210, I hadn't even looked at these until I saw you comment btw:

3 grams difference in weight, as a percentage that's 1%. They are virtually identical. 4 mm difference in total length. Here is one legit difference: The mizkai is a bit taller, 50 mm vs 45, but on the 240 they nearly converge here. That said, because it's the mizaki that's got the extra length, the proportions are... virtually identical. Moving on... Spine above heel; both 4mm, identical. Spine at the middle; both 2 mm, identical. Width at the tip; both .08, identical.

For two knives that aren't "remotely like each other" they sure do appear to be virtually identical in every measurable way.

Last edited:
aren't remotely like each other? Okay. In what way? Other than pointy tip and the choil relief. I'd love to know what makes them so different.

Far as I can tell they look... ehh.. interchangeable aside from those relatively minor details. Same core steel, of course. Same basic profile. Virtually identical proportions. Virtually identical grinds. Virtually identical length. Virtually identical distal taper. Identical weight. etc. So lets have a look at the stats for the 210, I hadn't even looked at these until I saw you comment btw:

3 grams difference in weight, as a percentage that's 1%. They are virtually identical. 4 mm difference in total length. Here is one legit difference: The mizkai is a bit taller, 50 mm vs 45, but on the 240 they nearly converge here. That said, because it's the mizaki that's got the extra length, the proportions are... virtually identical. Moving on... Spine above heel; both 4mm, identical. Spine at the middle; both 2 mm, identical. Width at the tip; both .08, identical.

For two knives that aren't "remotely like each other" they sure do appear to be virtually identical in every measurable way.
Depends on year and rendition of the Mazaki you are talking about, these two are gone now but they are two completely different critters.

web.jpg

Depends on year and rendition of the Mazaki you are talking about, these two are gone now but they are two completely different critters.

web.jpg

Sometimes I feel like the guy sitting quietly when everybody at the dinner table is going on and on about how they taste blueberries and vanilla and hints of cinnamon and just a whiff of cardamom in some fancy wine. Meanwhile it just tastes like wine to me.

Sorry those two look just the same to me except one is shorter. I guess this why I keep buying knives with different cladding like copper, so my apparently very lame sense of discernment has huge differences to pick out.

I’m starting a club for people who can’t tell knives apart, @gc0220 - are you in?

Sometimes I feel like the guy sitting quietly when everybody at the dinner table is going on and on about how they taste blueberries and vanilla and hints of cinnamon and just a whiff of cardamom in some fancy wine. Meanwhile it just tastes like wine to me.

Sorry those two look just the same to me except one is shorter. I guess this why I keep buying knives with different cladding like copper, so my apparently very lame sense of discernment has huge differences to pick out.

I’m starting a club for people who can’t tell knives apart, @gc0220 - are you in?
maybe this helps

web.jpg

210mm 142g.

web.jpg

240mm 260g.

I've had two Mazakis and two Yoshikanes and the examples I had were quite different. My Mazakis were heavier by a solid margin (175g vs 125g for a 210 for example), thicker spines with more continuous distal taper, more of a midweight grind, thinner tips, more curved profile, and more solid/robust feeling in general. Oh and it's ironclad.

Also, 5mm at the heel may sound trivial, but it's a big difference in use. Honestly most of the differences we nerd out on are very small dimensionally - an extra mm on the spine, a few tenths of an mm in grind thickness, a few degrees difference in profile - but make a tangible difference in the user experience.

I've had two Mazakis and two Yoshikanes and the examples I had were quite different. My Mazakis were heavier by a solid margin (175g vs 125g for a 210 for example), thicker spines with more continuous distal taper, more of a midweight grind, thinner tips, more curved profile, and more solid/robust feeling in general. Oh and it's ironclad.

Also, 5mm at the heel may sound trivial, but it's a big difference in use. Honestly most of the differences we nerd out on are very small dimensionally - an extra mm on the spine, a few tenths of an mm in grind thickness, a few degrees difference in profile - but make a tangible difference in the user experience.
I see yeah, it says the Maza has been under continuous development like a Debian rolling release or something. As far as the point about heel height, you would be correct, however the taller blade was proportionally longer as well and therefore the general proportion of the two knives came to be virtually identical. Basically the very similar, one with a pointy tip.

I see yeah, it says the Maza has been under continuous development like a Debian rolling release or something. As far as the point about heel height, you would be correct, however the taller blade was proportionally longer as well and therefore the general proportion of the two knives came to be virtually identical. Basically the very similar, one with a pointy tip.
This is not how proportions work. 5 mm in length is not the same as 5 mm in height, that would only work if your length and height were the same. Your knife is not a square. Here's an excellent thread on the subject Rambling thoughts on gyuto profiles

Mazaki and yoshikan knives are very different even when same length. Even different generations of mazaki are very different. Not only in profile either. If you use the knives to cut different food stuff it will become very obvious.

5C70AFA3-A6A0-4A01-890B-92B32EB13B6E.jpeg

It seems that KKF Has a growing trend towards “bundling” knives in BST. Whether it’s is to simplify the sales process for the seller or to bundle and move less desirable knives with more desirable “unicorns”, I don’t know. I picked up this nakiri/cleaver by Oliver Martens as part of such a bundle. I was happy to welcome it to my knife family , in part because it is such an unusual knife. Martens is a German designer/knife maker that produced this knife as a “milled C grind”. The object being a knife that provides superior food release.

A few pics …

BD46587F-FEAC-494B-AFA1-3275D103D10B.jpeg
B3CAA892-C937-4C13-BF93-8C2B491E87C5.jpeg
8DD4C223-C23D-4EE3-8098-5F3DE6B1D375.jpeg
61812228-0487-4080-829E-C26647DBC935.jpeg
81765861-C1BF-4E0A-8FD8-D9A0FA672036.jpeg
77E69C8D-C6C3-4201-A6BE-818443E39A98.jpeg

The knife measures 155mm by 75mm and is forged with limited distal taper. Measured at the spine, the knife tapers from 3.82mm at the heel to 1.85mm 1” from the tip. Steel is 1.2419 and weight is 267gms. The food release properties are substantially enhanced by the milled face and very thin edge. The knife is beautifully made with an unusual canvas micarta removable handle and a gold plated riccaso. I find the “brut de forge” construction technique very attractive.

I’ve had this knife for about a month and have given it a reasonable amount of use. It’s a very interesting and usable knife … perfect for “rectangle lovers”. I guess the major attraction to me is that it is perfectly suited for the “Ultimate Naughty Schoolboy Great Potato Slapdown”. At this point I’ve accumulated three contestants. The first is a hook grind Gyuto by Ben Kamon. The second is this unique knife by Oliver Martens. The third is a legendary “B Grind” by Dan Bidinger. I might even throw in a previous top performer from the Naughty Schoolboy thread. Stay tuned … I hope to have the slapdown posted around Christmas.

Here is a teaser …

C61C1BF5-0A17-443B-B064-51A926DE08E1.jpeg

Back