Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yanick 180mm x 77mm 135Cr3 / Iron 279.4g Big Nakiri.
Handle is a spectacular rosewood with poplar burl spacer

This thing is gorgeous. My one and only rectangle, and my new dedicated veggie slayer. Performance is unparalleled.

I couldn't contain my excitement, so I prepped dinner the day I got it, before I could take proper photos... oh well. I'm sure it will be a joy to refresh the kasumi every so often.
Such a cool piece. Now you need a gyuto ;)

Kono vintage carbon
187EB3E6-879D-4355-9969-1CB72BDBDC74.jpeg
5358A713-FFFD-4355-977D-6502EA164235.jpeg

seriously though, i often don't know who made the knife when i say that! i must know!

So far, I really like it. I have only used it a few times, so I don’t have a sense for sharpening and edge retention. The knife is probably one of the best value knives that I own.

What I like so far:
The grind seems really well done and pretty even, based on how light reflects off of the bevel and how the grind feels while lightly pinching the blade and sliding my fingers along the side of the knife. The profile is nice for me, flatter for most of the knife and an abrupt curve at the tip (I might prefer a bit less curve here). Profiles are definitely a personal preference type of thing. The knife is very thin behind the edge and pretty thin throughout, but it still has some weight behind it (~218g), so it cuts really well. The tip is also very thin but not to the point where it feels too fragile, so I like the tip a lot. I also like the tall height of the knife. The kurouchi seems nicely done and is nice and smooth. The spine and choil are eased/rounded but not polished. The knife has been comfortable for me in these areas. The iron isn’t too reactive. The polish looks nice.

Small complaints:
The handle is massive (longer than 6”). The grind/polish feels a little sticky/suction-y in some foods (but not bad at all). The food release is not good/great, but that is not an issue for me.

That is all I can think of right now. I hope that this was helpful. Put another message here or PM me if you have any more questions.
Thank you for the so detailed impressions, much appreciated. I guess you have just convinced me. :)

Again, very helpful!

Cheers.

Well got a handle from Sugi Cutlery. It's for my Damascus knife posted December 30.
Liked their handles problem was ones I liked were all sold out. Found this one looked good in picture 100.00. I am pleased with it looks even better in person. Goes good with Damascus blade. Black horn ferrel, copper spacer with blk. spacer between it & the beautiful curly Siamese Rosewood.

Had to chisel off the brown walnut handle as it was glued on. Mounted the replacement handle yesterday. Now all I have left to do is put a really sharp edge on it. Still don't know why I would ever buy a Damascus knife. I guess got sucked into the intricate random pattern on this blade never seen one quite like it. Now wonder what the heck I'm going to do with it. The few knives I buy are well used all carbon steel KU, Nashiji etc.

This knife may use a little, but not much :rolleyes:

IMG_20230115_204318323.jpg
IMG_20230115_204606519.jpg
IMG_20230115_205512990.jpg
IMG_20230115_203547127.jpg

Well got a handle from Sugi Cutlery. It's for my Damascus knife posted December 30.
Liked their handles problem was ones I liked were all sold out. Found this one looked good in picture 100.00. I am pleased with it looks even better in person. Goes good with Damascus blade. Black horn ferrel, copper spacer with blk. spacer between it & the beautiful curly Siamese Rosewood.

Had to chisel off the brown walnut handle as it was glued on. Mounted the replacement handle yesterday. Now all I have left to do is put a really sharp edge on it. Still don't know why I would ever buy a Damascus knife. I guess got sucked into the intricate random pattern on this blade never seen one quite like it. Now wonder what the heck I'm going to do with it. The few knives I buy are well used all carbon steel KU, Nashiji etc.

This knife may use a little, but not much :rolleyes:

View attachment 219961View attachment 219964View attachment 219963View attachment 219962
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it's performance.

Yeah when get a nice sharp edge on the
G3 silver steel I'll make dinner with it.

I know G3 steel the older metal master Nashiji Tanaka had G3 it sharpens up well similar to carbon. Easy to get even burr.

Back