"simple stainless gyuto" - what would be your pick?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CarboNEXT will rust? In what universe? Have you owned one? Yes, it will discolor. No, it will not rust, no more than any stainless knife.
Would just like to state that mine rusted. Wiped it dry with a semi damp towel. Left it inside the knife guard in my knife bag for two days and it had bright orange rust spots. A Carbonext can rust. Still love mine and would recommend it highly.

I do appreciate that you guys keep the thread moving even though I have decided to get a custom knife :) (BTW, there could be some update in about a week).

On the rust topic - we have two sets of kitchen cutlery (one is WMF - a relatively high quality german product) - both are standard 18/10 stainless steel. Both developed some rust/discolouration spots after just few times in dishwasher (in our previous apartment, we do not have one right now). After all stainless means exactly that stain LESS and not does not stain at all. It is only question of how aggressive is the environment whether given steel will start to rust/stain.

Second for Gesshin Ginga, but I'd go Wa handle. Love that knife.

After all stainless means exactly that stain LESS and not does not stain at all. It is only question of how aggressive is the environment whether given steel will start to rust/stain.

+1 (a very BIG +1)

+1 The term "workhorse" meaning a thicker knife is puzzling to me. Im not a pro, but I would consider a "workhorse" to be the knife that let's me perform the most amount of work for the longest period of time comfortably. For me, my Gesshin Ginga is still the most comfortable knife to use when I've had to cut for hours at a time.

True even in a pro environment a knife that cuts well with fruits vegitables & meat with out bone can be a workhorse. A light thin Japanese gyuto can go thru massive amounts of food well. When they wear down buy another one. Most food cut is not hard,the small % that is you need a heavier knife or cleaver. You need several knives in your bag. Knife care is always important, but you do not have to baby a knife like gesshin ginga, Konosuke, or Sakai Yusuke. They are quite capable for hours of cutting.

Back