So Say You're Eyeing Two Knives But...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which One

• Knife #1 - Ginsan with a nice handle

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Knife #2 - AS but with a really pretty handle

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
...you can't quite decide on which one.

I thought this might be fun.

I'm ogling two knives by the same maker (a maker I like). The profiles and grinds are similar enough to be considered the same. Intended use either way will be general-purpose, daily driver type stuff. They both have custom handles. There's really only two main differences between them.

Knife #1 is in Ginsan with a handle I like. I really like Ginsan but I do have a knife in it already. I'm surely not against multiple knives the same steel, I just also enjoy trying new steels.

Knife #2 is in Aogami Super with a handle I really, really like. The closest I have to AS is my recent acquisition of a Blue #2 knife and I like that.

So Knife #1 has a steel I know I like and want more of and while very nice looking, it isn't quite as aesthetically pleasing to me while Knife #2 is gorgeous but I'm not sure I'll be happy with AS in this use capacity. I like Ginsan's toughness and am not sure how fragile and finicky the AS will be. Edge retention is not much a care for me.

Oh, and you won't be selling either if you decide later you should have gotten the other one.

I know, first world problems, but which one do you go with? Why? Remember, these are modified knives that might not last long and are more or less one-of-a-kind so you likely can't just grab the other one later on.

Different makers will obtain different results with the same steel. Sometimes very different, and on purpose.
That being said, if you have good reasons to trust the maker's ability to treat both steel types, I think it is well worth to try the AS, as you haven't tried any AS so far, and it's an amazing steel.
Don't worry about it being fragile or so. It isn't. Just don't look for applying the most acute angles. As the alloy is quite charged, edge stability would suffer. For the same reason start your sharpening with a few light strokes on a medium-coarse stone.
The most resistant edge I've seen under very harsh conditions — welfare kitchen, crappy poly boards — was a very thin 64-65Rc AS, with a conservative final edge.

Last edited:
Back