So She Says...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this thread got me once again thinking about carbon steel. All of my knife life, in all manner of knives, I've always had a strong preference for stainless steels. I've had carbon steels but always preferred the no-muss, no-fuss resilience of a good stainless steel. Now, most of that was in pocket/sporting knives where I think that means more than in the kitchen knife world so I've slowly been reconsidering.

Just a few minutes ago, I'm watching a video on the TV of a carbon steel gyuto. My wife says, "Oh that's a pretty one."

"It is but it's in carbon steel and I just don't know..." I reply.

"Why does that matter?"

"Well they are really nice to sharpen but they also rust easy. So I'm always torn between thinking I'm missing out on the edge experience but not wanting to baby the thing." I answer.

She gives me a sober look over the top of her glasses and says, "Oh just get it and see if you like it. If you don't, then get a different one next time. You know you're not gonna stop. You never have so why stress about it?"

Hmph. She thinks she knows me!

;)

So this thread got me once again thinking about carbon steel. All of my knife life, in all manner of knives, I've always had a strong preference for stainless steels. I've had carbon steels but always preferred the no-muss, no-fuss resilience of a good stainless steel. Now, most of that was in pocket/sporting knives where I think that means more than in the kitchen knife world so I've slowly been reconsidering.

Just a few minutes ago, I'm watching a video on the TV of a carbon steel gyuto. My wife says, "Oh that's a pretty one."

"It is but it's in carbon steel and I just don't know..." I reply.

"Why does that matter?"

"Well they are really nice to sharpen but they also rust easy. So I'm always torn between thinking I'm missing out on the edge experience but not wanting to baby the thing." I answer.

She gives me a sober look over the top of her glasses and says, "Oh just get it and see if you like it. If you don't, then get a different one next time. You know you're not gonna stop. You never have so why stress about it?"

Hmph. She thinks she knows me!

;)
I was out a week in the woods fishing last summer and only brought a small carbon steel sheath-knife. It saw lots of use and no rust, it's not so bad just wipe down 🤷‍♂️

Think of carbon knives like cast iron or carbon steel pans. If you badly mistreat them, they will be a headache. But, if you simply pay a little attention in use and don't put them in the dishwasher, chances are you will never have much of a problem. With a good patina, carbon is practically is as resilient as most common stainless/semi stainless.

I was out a week in the woods fishing last summer and only brought a small carbon steel sheath-knife. It saw lots of use and no rust, it's not so bad just wipe down 🤷‍♂️

I don't mind carbon steel fixed blades as much. But I have a lot of folders and routinely rinse them out under a sink or what have you so stainless wins for my usage there.

Think of carbon knives like cast iron or carbon steel pans. If you badly mistreat them, they will be a headache. But, if you simply pay a little attention in use and don't put them in the dishwasher, chances are you will never have much of a problem. With a good patina, carbon is practically is as resilient as most common stainless/semi stainless.

Yep, I agree and had that same thought. I love my carbon steel pans. In fact, there's a brand new one on the counter waiting for me to season it right now. I was skeptical if I'd like them as well until I pulled up my Underoos and gave them a shot.

Bunch of enablers. ;)

All my knives are also stainless. I’ve been thinking about a stainless-clad carbon-core knife just to see what all the fuss about. Can’t decide between a big petty or another gyuto though. Then there’s the whole white vs blue thing too.

Keep us posted on what you decide. I’ve been thinking about something in the $200 range like one of the JCK house-brand knives just to get my feet wet.

Oooooo...I found a couple more. My nakiri impulses are waning as I explore a carbon gyuto.

@JBroida has these two listed that I like and are in my budget:

Zakuri 210 Blue 1 Funyaki - Not sure I love the name stamp but the design is intriguing.

ZAKURI 210MM BLUE #1 KUROUCHI WA-GYUTO

I really like that second one.

Okay Jon, I have a personal goal I've set that once I reach it, my treat is a new knife. Trying to stay at $200US or less. Daily driver territory where function reigns over form. I'm very close to being pushed over the edge. Have any nudges/thoughts on these guys? :)

All my knives are also stainless. I’ve been thinking about a stainless-clad carbon-core knife just to see what all the fuss about. Can’t decide between a big petty or another gyuto though. Then there’s the whole white vs blue thing too.

Keep us posted on what you decide. I’ve been thinking about something in the $200 range like one of the JCK house-brand knives just to get my feet wet.

I was looking at a stainless clad on the site we're not supposed to name but ya know it is really similar to Chef Knives Ta Go. Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji.

Thanks. Nice looking knife but it shows $245 to me and I'm not wanting to go that high just now.

Just FYI, the price for non-EU buyers is the second one that says ex.VAT (which is a tax that does not apply to the rest of the world). Always important to note when thinking of buying from the EU, because items can sometimes be cheaper than stated, depending on which price the store uses.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/

Just FYI, the price for non-EU buyers is the second one that says ex.VAT (which is a tax that does not apply to the rest of the world). Always important to note when thinking of buying from the EU, because items can sometimes be cheaper than stated, depending on which price the store uses.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/

Thanks for the info.

I had some exposure to VAT in looking at some French knives a couple years ago. It seemed that some sellers charged it and some did not.

Your wife sounds really understanding, wise and sound.

You shouldn‘t disappoint her with that in mind, or give even the slightest impression that she hasn’t got you entirely worked out. Clearly the answer here is to confirm her low expectations of your self-control by buying both a carbon and that nakiri, Undoubtedly a winning move for both of you

More seriously, I haven’t got a Zakuri, but still have a Murata (a nakiri to boot) - which shares more than some passing Tosa similarities, Good bang for the buck, but I can‘t say that I really enjoy sharpening it as much as other carbons I own for some reason. Not sure if others share the same experience mind, nor should it be a showstopper, but can‘t help wondering if some of the JCK own brands (FRKwotsit) would offer good value starter carbons that seem more typical

Ha! Well look at that. Me over complicating it. :rolleyes:

Anyone have thoughts on this?

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...per-gyuto-kiritsuke-ktip-210-mm-by-shiro-kamo
I've had several Shiro Kamo knives. Still have 2. I've had the Cleancuts Black Dragon 210 gyuto. CC has it in B2 and K&S has it in AS. They look like the same knife though and very nice for the price.

Grind and cutting performance is very similar with Mune. Kamo is slightly thinner, but not a laser. Not much taper. It has a smooth KU finish compared to Munetoshis rough nashiji/KU. The Kamo B2 was nice, hard. Harder compared to a Tanaka B2, but Tanaka is smoother on the stones. Mune W#2 is also smoother than Kamo and also feels the hardest. Sold mine only because the 210 size isn't my thing.
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knife...3-08-22-12-33-182013-08-22-12-33-18-86-detailCC will deduct VAT 25% and ad shipping cost. So pretty nice deal.

When I started this thread I just meant to share an anecdote and not a research thread. But I sure do appreciate all the input I've gotten!

Thank you all very much. :)

Latest posts

Back