So , Victorinox Nakiri ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a Nakiri to go with my V Santoku ; but they don't offer one .
So , Which Nakiri to match ?

Why a santoku and a nakiri? There's significant duplication of function there.

Given that you chose a santoku over a chef's knife, I'm guessing that you're very constrained on space. Maybe you might seek a larger petty-knife or short slicer that might allow you to use a point, or perhaps a paring knife for the smallest tasks?

Last edited:
It won't be easy to match the Fibrox on price, though I do believe that Kanetsune does make a nakiri in stainless-clad Takefu Shiro-2 that can be found on Ebay for ~$37 or so. I have no idea if it's a good deal, though.

(They have nicer ones in stainless-clad blue-steel and a more serious handle, but that's more than double the price of your Victorinox santoku and thus not within your price point.)

Tojiro F-702A - It's a iron clad nakiri but it works. May not be the best version of White steel, but it seems to work decent enough. Daughter and Finacee like it better than any of my sharper knives. If it rusts, just go over it with a green scotch-brite pad. Won't stay pretty, but is functional. I sand-papered the d-handle to an oval, and with some mineral oil/beeswax it has a functional handle.

I came across this $32 Nakiri on MTC.com , AUS-8 Stain-Resistant Nakiri 160mm
Caddie AUS-8 Stain-Resistant Nakiri 160mm (6.3")

91507_A__46377.1555002809.jpeg

It's probably the resin/plastic ferrule.. California is weird...

Bad, though well intentioned, law. There are harsh punishments possible for not labeling something that causes cancer and no punishment for falsely labeling something that doesn't. Too many places label everything "to be safe", for the law to be very useful.

Cancer warning fatigue. Somebody surely makes a living writing about it. I remember the first time I went to a restaurant in California. Before you are even allowed to sit down you have to see the warning wall. Warning: our crystal contains lead, our silver contains chromium, eating raw or undercooked food like what's on half our menu could kill you, our tuna contains mercury, alcohol is not good for your heart and causes fetal alcohol syndrome, caffeine is a stimulant and may be habit forming, cleaning chemicals we use contain carcinogens, some people don't wash their hands enough but the state of California says that we do, there's lead in the paint and asbestos in the ceiling, our rice tests high for arsenic, our to-go containers contain BPA, and our menus are highly flammable (though also biodegradable) but please don't litter or we will lose our liquor license.

Takeo Murata Kurouchi knives
I'm sure those will be very easy to keep very sharp, as they're blue-1 steel. However, to my understanding those are far above the price point you're looking at. For example, their nakiri seems to sell for $198:
https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91733

If you're looking to spend that much more, then how does the JCK Deep Impact Blue Super seem to you? Its cladding will reduce a lot of the hassle, and at $140 it'll cost significantly less than the Murata (but still far above your Victorinox!).
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/jck-natures-deep-impact-series-nakiri-165mm

Thanks .
So after that little Tosa detour , and thinking through this further , I've come to the conclusion , I'm looking for the best balance of price , out of the box sharpness , ease of maintaining that sharpness , and ease of use / maintenance .

That goes for a Nakiri and Santoku .

VG10
Remarkably hard, sharp, and durable, due to very purified cobalt contained in this stainless steel. It is hardly broken because of excellent flexibility brought by Molybdenum.

HardnessSharpnessDurabilityCorrosion ResistanceRe-sharpeningSharpener
ExcellentExcellentGoodAverageExcellentSuitable

Molybdenum Vanadium Steel
Molybdenum and Vanadium contained in this stainless steel brings maximum abrasion and rust resistance. Also its long lasting sharpness makes it easy to maintain.

HardnessSharpnessDurabilityCorrosion ResistanceRe-sharpeningSharpener
GoodGoodExcellentGoodAverageSuitable

Back