So , Victorinox Nakiri ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also going to consider a Wa handle for lighter more agile .

Also , I've read that to get a next level up will be at about the $150 price range .
Which other makers / brands could I consider ?

The MAC seems like a hybrid between Japanese and Western from what I'm reading ( the blades are ever so slightly curved, allowing for both the push-pull and rocking cutting styles) while the Tojiro is a Japanese knife . (other than the handle)

I went with the MAC JU65 after it was America's Test Kitchens' pick for performance/value. Very sharp out of the box,,, nicely finished, and nimble in the hand.

Last edited:
I went with the MAC JU65 after it was America's Test Kitchens' pick for performance/value. Very sharp out of the box,,, nicely finished, and nimble in the hand.

Might take some of these recommendations with a bit of salt, not that the Mac was a bad choice. They ruled out a usuba in their recs because it didn't slice through a whole butternut squash easily... it's true that that is one of the reasons it's not a good general purpose knife, but to even try that in a video review is totally bizarre.

Edit: ok, maybe I'm being too critical. Enjoy your nakiris, all!

Last edited:
Might take some of these recommendations with a bit of salt, not that the Mac was a bad choice. They ruled out a usuba in their recs because it didn't slice through a whole butternut squash easily... it's true that that is one of the reasons it's not a good general purpose knife, but to even try that in a video review is totally bizarre.

Edit: ok, maybe I'm being too critical. Enjoy your nakiris, all!

America's Test Kitchen reviews are definitely questionable, I would weigh them about as heavily as a random Amazon customer review. I feel like they're more a platform to push products to home cooks than to actually provide much insight.

This was posted in the "How to Sharpen a Victorinox Santoku ?" I started .
How to Sharpen a Victorinox Santoku ?
"The Mac could be nice. Also of interest should be the Zwilling Diplôme/Miyabi, harder and better steel yet. Under 200$ you won't find much else towards harder stainless, and I don't know where you have access to buy this, but I'd take a good look around still.

You pretty much have the Victorinox Nakiri already with the Santoku - Victorinox Santoku is quite square and flat. Don't think you'd see much difference. The Zwilling or Mac wouldn't make much difference neither - not tall enough. Your Santoku is 46mm high, if you want to see a difference in use, look for something along the 55mm tall lines."

They ruled out a usuba in their recs because it didn't slice through a whole butternut squash easily... it's true that that is one of the reasons it's not a good general purpose knife, but to even try that in a video review is totally bizarre.

Why is it bizarre to use an usuba for that? (Yes, I'm familiar with usuba's and quite aware that they'll steer all over the place even on far softer foodstuffs.) A Japanese chef probably wouldn't use a deba or yanagiba for it.

Ultimately, if it isn't well-suited for cutting vegetables, it ceases to be a vegetable-knife.

EDIT: I wasn't writing that in order to be contrarian; merely pointing those things out. I wonder what would a Kyoto chef would normally use to cut things like squash or other tall items if steering is a serious issue? Dicing and the more "conventional" western cuts definitely aren't alien to Japanese cuisine (q.v. how most of the vege-cutting techniques in the Mukoita book are mostly the same as those in western fine-cooking), but if usuba's aren't suited for it, I wonder what would they normally use?

Last edited:
Reactions: ian
Why is it bizarre to use an usuba for that? (Yes, I'm familiar with usuba's and quite aware that they'll steer all over the place even on far softer foodstuffs.) A Japanese chef probably wouldn't use a deba or yanagiba for it.

Ultimately, if it isn't well-suited for cutting vegetables, it ceases to be a vegetable-knife.

You‘re right, thanks for the correction. I’m too immersed in a world where everyone has many double bevel knives, and where noone would use a usuba for that purpose.

You‘re right, thanks for the correction. I’m too immersed in a world where everyone has many double bevel knives, and where noone would use a usuba for that purpose.
Well, I wouldn't assume outright that I was right. Maybe they do use double-bevel knives nowadays for that purpose.

I edited my previous post too.

Reactions: ian
Back