D. Martell Stainless available for Martell Knives!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Starting in mid to late April we'll have on hand CPM-154 blanks for all current Martell knife configurations. Rc 61-62 with cryo. This heat treat is pushing this steel to the max performance.

Now we can offer carbon & stainless knives in either western or wa configurations. :doublethumbsup:

Nice, I better start living on ramen and save up for it...

Stefan

I forgot to post that I have the blanks here, for about a week now I'd guess. This represents one sheet of CPM-154....

P1010006.JPG

Tricky to get a wa handle on those ;)

Stefan

Tricky to get a wa handle on those ;)

Stefan

LOL :) Yeah, I get the blanks in western form and grind down the tangs when required. I lose some steel but I gain by not having to stock double patterns. Although....I will likely change the patterns to all of them having wa tangs in the future and save the steel loss since I am not doing full tangs anymore anyways. I have been meaning to do this but it's a lot of work for both myself and the waterjet guy.

So you will go with the 'fake' Western handles exclusively? I look forward to seeing how these stainless ones turn out. If you need to experiment, I'll take one - if you need money for it, make one for somebody else, I only pay in koa :D

Stefan

So you will go with the 'fake' Western handles exclusively?

Yeah....full tang is a lot of extra work, especially when the tangs (unlike Japanese knives) are hardened. It's just not worth the extra effort. Plus, I appreciate the blade forward shift in weight I get from going with a hidden tang.

Back