Stone Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this a good all around set, what I read implies it is.
JKI Stone Set.

So all my stone experience has been with oil stones. Principle is the same just different medium/lubricant, but I have never to my knowledge uses a Japanese water based stones. The stones I have are from my Dad who taught me to sharpen with with oil.

I should have my Yoshikane Hamono White #2 Nashiji 240mm Gyuto on Friday. I am also looking for a Suji. Have not settled on one yet as stock seems to be an issue, and I am starting to think I might want to try and find a matching Yoshikan Hamono. I am like a kid waiting on Santa, this is my first Janapnese Knife.

I am looking for stones that are good all around. I was original going to piece together some, I have been looking at the Masahiro Med 1000 Grit and the Course 600 grit Waterstones, but was having trouble deciding on a polisher 6000 or 8000 stone.

I probably need a flattener as well. But if my reading is correct I have some time on that, as the set linked above and Masahiro 1K if used correctly should not require flattening often and I don't see myself needing the course out of the gate either but if I can find a good set, then it makes sense to get all at once.

Edited:
Forgot to mention I would like stones that can be left to soak for long periods as I can get side tracked easily.
I also still need to research the Kings and Suehiro Cerax stones. I see them mentioned a lot.

even amongst the good to go retailers, Jon is something special. and he's a hell of a sharpener himself.

I dont own this set but if I were getting synths for 200 dollars I dont think youre going to do much better.

tell you what, Jon and co are REALLY helpful, why not call JKI? at worst they'll have to call you back. he can help you with that Suji too

even amongst the good to go retailers, Jon is something special. and he's a hell of a sharpener himself.

I dont own this set but if I were getting synths for 200 dollars I dont think youre going to do much better.

tell you what, Jon and co are REALLY helpful, why not call JKI? at worst they'll have to call you back. he can help you with that Suji too

Oh thanks, I did not know that was the Jon everyone refers to.

OK so I have narrowed it down to these possible combos:
Set 1:
Masahiro 600/3000 and maybe a flattener $116-$142 (not including tax or shipping)
Set 2:
Pride 1000, Norton 4000/8000 combo and a flattener - $197 (not including tax or shipping)
Set 3:
Gisshin 400/2000/6000 - $210 (Not including tax or shipping) same situation as the Masahiro may or may not get a flattener.

Not really looking to get a mirror image on the edge.
Anyone have any input on these combinations or thoughts?

8000 is maybe starting to get to too fine for gyutos, even white #2. just IMO

this is a case where you should just spend a bit more and get set 3 and an atoma 1200. again just IMO

OK so I have narrowed it down to these possible combos:
Set 1:
Masahiro 600/3000 and maybe a flattener $116-$142 (not including tax or shipping)
Set 2:
Pride 1000, Norton 4000/8000 combo and a flattener - $197 (not including tax or shipping)
Set 3:
Gisshin 400/2000/6000 - $210 (Not including tax or shipping) same situation as the Masahiro may or may not get a flattener.

Not really looking to get a mirror image on the edge.
Anyone have any input on these combinations or thoughts?
In my opinion, the edges off the Gesshin 4k are ever so slightly better than the 6k. Not that the 6k is bad. They're both good, I just liked the 4k ever so slightly better.

In my opinion, the edges off the Gesshin 4k are ever so slightly better than the 6k. Not that the 6k is bad. They're both good, I just liked the 4k ever so slightly better.

I think you get a pretty discount going for the set though, and you could use the savings towards an atoma plate, and Id rather have a slightly less toothy edge but be able to insure all my stones were flat.

in fact if I were going to split it might even be worth looking at a natural finisher (but then Im biased because Ive always gotten better results with jnats than synthetics)

Yeah after taking a closer look at the costs of the Gesshin your right the set of 3 is a deal, as opposed to piecing it together I did not realize how much of a deal that was.

If you already know how to sharpen and know that you're actually going to use them, I wouldn't cheap out too much. Cheap stones end up getting replaced, and then you end up spending double. Same thing with the flattening solution; I basically tried several different bargain basement flattening stones until finally realizing I should have just bought an Atoma in the first place.

The Gesshin stones would be my first recommendation. I have both the G4K and G6K and like both - which one I finish on depends on the knife. Nice carbon edges I usually go G2K to G6K. Stainless I go G2K to G4K. For your white gyuto either would be fine.

As was suggested above, you would be well served to call Jon's shop. I know I made his phone ring a lot when I was getting started and still look for advice there today.

Thanks. I was going to try contacting him again this week. But leaning towards that set. Told my wife today I might be going down the rabbit hole for some more knifes. I love that Octagon handle. Perfect for me with my partial fussed wrist.

The Gesshin set is very good. I have it, although like @M1k3 in most situations I prefer the 4k to the 6k. TBH, I don't think a gyuto ever needs to go higher than 4k, but that's just me. The 2k is a bit finicky, in that in my experience it works extremely orgasmically well on simple carbons (like your white #2 gyuto), but is more frustrating on cladding and some other steels.

That set would be a great buy. You could also buy some Shapton Glass stones if you want. E.g. SG 500 and SG 1k and SG 4k. I've only tried the 500, which I like a lot, but a lot of people like them. Or just get the 1k and 4k to start off with.

https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/synthetic-stones/

Oh the decisions, I complicated it even more now that I have made 2021 "the Year of the Knife". I was originally only buying a oversize Gyuote and Suji to go with some European knifes, until I used my Gyuto today, It just arrive yesterday. I am going to be buying more now.

You should buy the set, get an informed opinion yourself by using them, and then branch out. I bought the set as well and I’ve been very happy with it but it will need a flattener. That 400 is one of the nicest stones I’ve used but it dishes pretty fast. Have fun.

Thanks everyone I decided on the Gesshin set and will expand from there as needed.
As someone who has this set, it’s excellent and you leave them permanently soaked. (Just change the water ever so often)
Great choice!

Those stone will get you started, they are pretty good. I bought Bester/Beston stones because they do a better job with A2 steel woodworking tools -- quite hard, wear slowly, sharpen fast -- but not enough of a difference to recommend them over the Geshin stones for knives.

The cheapest flattener out there is a couple sheets of silicon carbide wet/dry paper and a polished marble tile from one of the big box home stores. Wet the tile, slick the paper down, wet it, and grind away. Pressure sensitive adhesive papers work a little better, but require using solvent to remove any adhesive left behind or you get lumps is the sandpaper. Change the paper as it wears. Works like a dream, and pretty cheap.

Very coarse silicon carbide grit on a granite tile works well for some hard to flatten stone like the King Deluxe 300 which will only burnish with fixed grit. I'm using some sandstone I want to flatten for natural hones to refresh mine, gets two jobs done at one time. Don't try the loose grit on a marble tile, it will eat the marble pronto and dish it.

Thanks all for the advice I bought the jki set way back when with a flatter. Used them for the first time yesterday had to resolve some nicks and a tip. My petty tip got dinged yesterday when I bumbed it off the counter removing some silvers skin from some ribs.

The stones worked great but I am concerned about how long I can leave them on water before I need to change it. Most of my knives went 6 to 8 months before I had to touch the to stones.

I've put them there indefinitely with no problems. Just change it when the water smells or gets too dark from swarf. As long as they are soaker stones. If they are splash and go they will soften and break

Latest posts

Back