Stone for light maintenance thinning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceconvoy

Reaction score
Been reading through the archives and seems like most coarse stone threads have a mix of opinions from people with very different goals in mind. I'm a home cook, not a pro sharpener or a pro cook using knives 40 hours a week. And I don't have any chunky knives that need reprofiling, at least at the moment.

So I'd like to specifically ask which coarse stone would you recommend for light maintenance thinning on knives that already have a thin grind? I'm not worried about chips, and would rather let them sharpen out naturally than remove a bunch of metal all at once. Could I get away with using a GS500 if I do a bit of thinning during each session, or would the knife eventually need serious reprofiling?

Side question - I have an atoma 400 for stone flattening, and would prefer not to buy a 140 too. Can you flatten a sub-400 grit stone with an atoma 400, or would it get ruined? I wouldn't be so hesitant to buy an extra-coarse stone if I could use the same flattening plate.

You could probably get away with using the sg500. I love mine. But I’ve really been enjoying the Gesshin 320 splash and go. It’s on the muddier side so it’s pretty forgiving. Does a really good job at removing scratch patterns from lower grit stones. It does dish but nothing crazy and it doesn’t get clogged up and lose cutting speed like some others. I don’t have huge experience with all the low grits but it strikes a nice balance between cutting speed and dishing speed and I do believe you could get away flattening it with a atoma 400 but strongly suggest a lower grit.

A 3$/3€ SiC "sharpening stone" from HW store or from Chinese store. Thirsty but not all support to long immersion in water.

Naniwa Pro 600, a bit harder than the 400. Also a good start of the progression if you're dealing with Aogami Super. Edge stability will benefit. End result will be a JIS 800-pattern.

I find that Shapton 1000 is fast enough for light thinning. Otherwise SG500 should work as would Gesshin 320 or JNS300 as they both leave very non-aggressive looking finish. Also JNS800 could be a good choice.

when you want to remove lots of metal you always wish you had a faster stone.

i'd say go with shapton pro 220. its cheap, good and just works. not too much trouble removing the scratches either.
for keeping it flat you can get a black C silicon carbide stone. like a 100 grit. that way you dont kill your diamond plate.

Or you get a that 800 or 1000 grit diamond stone from JKI or 1000 grit from Practical Sharpening and never care about speed again :)

1000 grit from Practical Sharpening and never care about speed again :)
Can you tell us more about it.
does "Size: 200x40x5mm " means 5mm thick diamon layer ?

For knives that already are in good shape, I just thin with a Chosera 1000 whenever I have to address the edge with a 1000 (not that often ;) )

Can you tell us more about it.
does "Size: 200x40x5mm " means 5mm thick diamon layer ?
Yes, 5mm thick diamond stone on a glass support. I have one of the earlier ones that were just 3mm thick. I got 400 and 2000 and the speed is great, wear very slow. I have not used other diamond stones, so can't compare (would love to try JKI diamond stones). Bur they are much faster than any 'normal' synthetic stones without feeling like diamond plates. Also the scratch pattern is more like 'normal' stones.

I use the JNS300 for light thinning, but it's a bit more expensive and can suddenly bring on a lot of mud without much warning.

I also have the SG500, I think it's fine for light thinning, and it's cheaper and more widely available. But it does glaze easily, however you can use your atoma400 to resurface the stone just a little bit every now and then.

Latest posts

Back