Stone height when sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for preferences on positioning your stones in relation to your body when sharpening. Chime in if you have a favorite height at which you like to sharpen. Waist height? Chest height? Standing? Sitting? Do you feel that the position of the stone affects your sharpening results?

Thanks. Some good opinions in that thread. My home setup is bit higher (just below chest height) than the tables at work. I feel like i might be getting a better/more consistent edge when the stone height is just above my waist. Wanted to see if any veteran sharpeners had similar experiences or if its just a placebo. May have to get a new table for home.

I use a homemade sink bridge on an island that's about waist height. Can't imagine trying to sharpen with my hands held much higher.

I am still fiddling with the distance of my hand from the stone, though. I like closer but not too far. Closer helds keep the arms and hands steadier. Too close leaves too little flexibility, though.

Back