Storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psykez

Reaction score
So, I’m about to hit go on my new toys, as well as one for the husband. Thanks all for your help on that.

Now I need to plan storage. Magnetic strips have been vetoed, as has any form of benchtop storage. That leaves the drawers . . .

How do I keep the new toys safe?

Bonus points for any solution that I can get in New Zealand.

The mag strips will happen in time, just not yet.

I can sell you mine, but it won't be cheap.

saya.jpg

Ikea Uppdatera ? I'm using an Ikea knife holder in bamboo, but they apparently do not carry those anymore.
Nothing fancy but it works for most knifes.
The uppdatera look as if it's a direct copy of the picture above but in plastic.

I keep my sujihiki knives in a drawer. I use edge guards or cardboard sayas to protect the edge.

I highly recommend Shi.han's edge guards, even though he is US based.

One day I hope to make my own (proper) sayas to store them. Until then, the edge guards/ cardboard work well.

There are various in-drawer slotted storage trays. Some work better than others. I had something similar to this one that worked well.

View attachment 189461
Cheapie version:
https://www.oxo.com/oxo-gg-compact-...MI3IOo7sWJ-QIVfh6tBh1zHwkBEAQYASABEgJMBPD_BwE
Different style here:
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...MI0Kf9qcSJ-QIVmIrICh3kOAEPEAQYCCABEgI8WfD_BwE
I thought I saw someone say not to store blade down? If these are fine then I have my solution . . . Tidy, easy, and I can buy a second one for “my” knives and hide it further out of reach 🤣

I prefer non-lined edge guards to felt/fabric lined ones. If you get one with lining, cork is best. This is assuming your knives aren't fully stainless, in which case it doesn't really matter. But I've had more than one carbon knife get screwed by rust with a felt-lined edge guard and have had zero problems with unlined (or cork-lined) guards.

I thought I saw someone say not to store blade down? If these are fine then I have my solution . . . Tidy, easy, and I can buy a second one for “my” knives and hide it further out of reach 🤣
Knives are edge-down every time they touch a cutting board...
IMO it's not a big deal at all. If you slide them in and out, I suppose over time that could be an issue, but would have less impact than using the knife to prepare one meal.
But the way these things are usually designed, you can just lift up the knife.

Last edited:
I just leave mine in there original boxes, it just seams the easiest and safest way to store them. Although it does take up more space I do have pretty large kitchen drawers.

Knives are edge-down every time they touch a cutting board...
IMO it's not a big deal at all. If you slide them in and out, I suppose over time that could be an issue, but would have less impact than using the knife to prepare one meal.
But the way these things are usually designed, you can just lift up the knife.
OK, I think I have my solution then, as well as some guards for the less used knives

I prefer non-lined edge guards to felt/fabric lined ones. If you get one with lining, cork is best. This is assuming your knives aren't fully stainless, in which case it doesn't really matter. But I've had more than one carbon knife get screwed by rust with a felt-lined edge guard and have had zero problems with unlined (or cork-lined) guards.
Yeah, you need to be super sure that they are dry.

If going the wooden slotted drawer route, which is a perfectly good option, make sure to measure the clearance space inside the drawer. My kitchen has front frame cabinets and my drawers are super shallow. I had to customize my slotted drawer holder to make a vnox fit (basically running the slot over a table saw to make the slot deeper. Or, buy from somewhere you can return it if it ends up not working. Knives that definitely don’t fit have edge guards.

8924BA3C-6757-43E6-A645-A6713D1CBF90.jpeg

My fancy knives are on the wall because I like to admire them. 😍

Another option is cork. Basically buy cork tiles, put one down on the flat of the drawer, and cut down the rest and stand them up in a long row. Slide knves in at will. Something like this:

1658519596680.png

Here's what my cousin did for his knife collection. Definite conversation starter at his supper parties.
119652580_331097968312095_8525298448131821878_n.jpg

Reactions: rob
I have a few different Utoplike bamboo drawer blocks and they have been working great for me. The vertical space in the drawer itself is 9,1cm and a Takeda fits in nicely. Now if I could just bother finding a better solution for my cleavers..

IMG20220726165336.jpg

Back