Stupid Sunday night thought experiment time

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whaddya reckon?

• Blindfolded

• Not touching

Results are only viewable after voting.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Do you think you could sharpen a knife better...

a.) Blindfolded.

or

b.) Without feeling or touching the edge.

Probably not touching. Coming from a razor background I probably don't have the muscle memory to do knives blindfolded, but I am used to not touching the edge.

if the two, I would do better blindfolded.

With or without stropping?

I noticed you allowed hearing. That may be cheating. I bet you could go either way as long as you can hear. What if you remove it? Calculation changes?

Also, Mike’s video is one of my all time favorites. Just a gangster.

I noticed you allowed hearing. That may be cheating. I bet you could go either way as long as you can hear. What if you remove it? Calculation changes?

Oi! I told you already on the other thread that I wasn't going to be answering complicated questions or considering nuances about stuff until I was sober on Tuesday.

Next you're going to say without using any appendages. 👀

Ok guys - this is what happens when a noob does it. On jnats.

Moritaka blue 2 breadknifed on amakusa. Won’t cut skin or paper towel. Can feeeeeel that rolled edge.

Idiocy at its finest - iyoto to aoto, preslurried with atoma 140 because *** I can’t do that blindfolded. Easy, fast, big feedback stones. 3 IPA tall boys. Takeda tengui blindfold yeeeeeeee. I’m sorry it took so long - Mike does it in 1 minute, I’ll take 7+ and be pretty proud of it! Kudos to whoever actually spends the time to watch the video. It’s a good lesson on what wobbly/overconfident looks like. Lol @ me straight spraying the side of the stone instead of the face.

Wife assist on the spray bottle. I could smell the aoto getting dry. Reasonable cut on some paper towel, I call it a success! My spouse walked in at the beginning and promptly scolded me for my (our) insanity.

Does it cut? Yes. Is it wonderful? No. Am I blown away? Yeah. Actually I’m really happy I can do this, choosing the cheatiest stones helps, but simply being able to notice my shortcomings in technique, and be able to improve an edge all by feel is good news to me.

All sorts of good fun. I apologize you can’t see me blindfolded the whole time but I promise I was feeling around desperately for my beer.

Thanks, @cotedupy !! For influencing under the influence. Watching this all again is comical. Please turn off the audio if you want to maintain the impression that I’m not super crazy

Last edited:
Ok guys - this is what happens when a noob does it. On jnats.

Moritaka blue 2 breadknifed on amakusa. Won’t cut skin or paper towel. Can feeeeeel that rolled edge.

Idiocy at its finest - iyoto to aoto, preslurried with atoma 140 because *** I can’t do that blindfolded. Easy, fast, big feedback stones. 3 IPA tall boys. Takeda tengui blindfold yeeeeeeee. I’m sorry it took so long - Mike does it in 1 minute, I’ll take 7+ and be pretty proud of it! Kudos to whoever actually spends the time to watch the video. It’s a good lesson on what wobbly/overconfident looks like. Lol @ me straight spraying the side of the stone instead of the face.

Wife assist on the spray bottle. I could smell the aoto getting dry. Reasonable cut on some paper towel, I call it a success! My spouse walked in at the beginning and promptly scolded me for my (our) insanity.

Does it cut? Yes. Is it wonderful? No. Am I blown away? Yeah. Actually I’m really happy I can do this, choosing the cheatiest stones helps, but simply being able to notice my shortcomings in technique, and be able to improve an edge all by feel is good news to me.

All sorts of good fun. I apologize you can’t see me blindfolded the whole time but I promise I was feeling around desperately for my beer.

Thanks, @cotedupy !! For influencing under the influence. Watching this all again is comical. Please turn off the audio if you want to maintain the impression that I’m not super crazy

Oh to see oneself as others see you...

A wallpaper fetishist.

---

Excellent work Pierre! And I must say - impressive. It looked like regular sharpening, just understandably a bit slower. No 'Severed Artery Penalty' deductions, and you've even picked up the 'Locating a Beer Bonus Point'.

Oh to see oneself as others see you...

A wallpaper fetishist.

---

Excellent work Pierre! And I must say - impressive. It looked like regular sharpening, just understandably a bit slower. No 'Severed Artery Penalty' deductions, and you've even picked up the 'Locating a Beer Bonus Point'.
Thanks! Really enjoyed doing it, and genuinely surprised at how well it went. Maybe I’m at the point where I can start trusting my own judgement on stones.

🤣 My wife and I like to pretend to be culturally insensitive due to our own differences. I had just finished putting up a sheet of wallpaper (which I despise with a passion) she very proudly obtained from the UK. I giggle a bit when she worries about shipping rolls of paper overseas, and then I remember I’m worrying about my rocks.

Back