Sushi chef, How do you clean your cutting board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
I usually use bleach to thw hasegawa cutting board every night after finish work, I notice there's 1 tiny black spot like cutting scratch I can't get rip off.

Any sushi chef can give me advice? Is it necessary to get the board scraper?

I don’t do bleach every night, usually once a week, but when I do, I usually soak them in bleach for 30min at least before rinse it, the results is different if you soak them for longer time

With a regular wood board for every day cleaning I rise with cold water only as hot water will cause protein (ie fish) to coagulate. If especially dirty I will rub vigorously with a tawashi and salt.
Infrequent heavy cleaning calls for soaking in detergent/bleach but after rinsing must soak in hot water long enough for such materials to lift out and a second soak/rise to ensure no smell remains. Slow drying to avoid warping with thin boards.

I have no experience with a synthetic rubber coated board.

Last edited:
i also have a bunch of random dark/black stains on the Hasegawa (wood core, yellow outside) board that i can't get off with scrubbing with dish soap and running through the dishwasher.

I used black cutting boards.
Can’t really see the scratches and don’t need to worry about bleaching it.
870C4BCA-9740-4477-9CAA-677843ED691E.png

Reactions: ian
Mostly do fish socially, very occasionally do a fish station at catering event. I use BKF on Hiawassee (sp?) board if stained. Then a lot of soap, salt and water to wash away the BKF.

Will own a black cutting board next time MTC has a sale - that looks pretty sweet.

Back