Takada No Hamono Blue #1 Contradiction- Yoshikazu Tanaka or Shiraki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwshull

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about this knife a lot. See some in the BST and see some on vendors insta. But is it forged by Yoshikazu Tanaka or Shiraki. I always thought it was Yoshikazu, and that's what CKC says. But MTC says Mr. Nakagawa of Shiraki in their description of what seems to be the same knife... they also says YT forges the Takada Ginsan. Obviously he's a smith whose pretty famous for his carbon steels, Blue 1 in particular, so it would make more sense that he did the Blue 1 for them. Anyone know for sure, or are they two different products. They're labelled and appear EXACTLY the same. Takada no Hamono Suiboku Rosewood Blue #1 Gyuto 240mm. Takada Blue Steel 1 Suiboku Gyuto 240mm (9.4") with Rosewood handle.

They are normally forged by Nakagawa. Carbon specifically requested versions forged by tanaka which is why the listing is different on their website. You should also notice a slightly different profile between the 2 smiths.

240 W#2 from CKC and 240 Ginsanko from MTC

952A8B10-38B0-4CD6-B179-709BBF9A4944.jpeg

An email from carbon
"Yes, Yoshikazu Tanaka 50/50 convex grind. Its a really unique finish, its a fine almost mirror polish with a finishing
technique with probably etchants or loose abrasives."

Last edited:
Ooooooh, it’s a reflection. I was about to ask how you got that crazy patina on a ginsan knife. 🤦‍♂️

Haha TBH I had to take a second look to make sure there wasn’t something weird going on myself. Sorry about that, took the photo real quick. Neglected lighting.

Back