Takamura Kanji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-unit

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a new second Takamura R2 from the recent MTC restock to replace my old one, and I noticed the new one does not have any writing on the left side. The older Takamura's left side kanji says powder stainless steel, clad construction, or something similar (my translation is not great). Is this someting Takamura stopped doing recently? This isn't anything I'm concerned about, obviously, but I am curious to learn more about the knife engraving practice and how brands choose to communicate this information. Thanks for reading!

The Sharp Chef has a decent photo of the left side kanji for reference: Takamura R2/SG2 Migaki 210mm Gyuto

IMG_1839.jpg

Right side - normal engravings

IMG_1840.jpg

Left side - blank

I like it better without the text.

Somehow rows of kanji looks fine to me on a gyuto but a few words of English is a few too many.

Thanks for the help! I can see why they’d do that.

It’s kind funny how different market react to these stuff. In Japanese domestic market, English or Romanji on western styled knives would look more professional and exotic, while in export market people want Kanji so they don’t just look like another western chef knife.

Back